Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Interesting Bloomberg Report/Theory on Marriott Woes Driving HHonors Enrollments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting Bloomberg Report/Theory on Marriott Woes Driving HHonors Enrollments

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by christianj
Based on all these comments and my personal experiences, I think the real statistic that Marriott should be concerned with is how many elite members chose to book a stay at a Hilton property (or any competitor for that matter) when in the past they would have automatically booked a Marriott stay...not how many additional members HH signed up.
Perfectly stated and this is exactly what I have been doing ,as well as my employees.
christianj likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by dll
Yes. Lounge access + 100% bonus on points. I left Marriott for Hilton, and as a Diamond, I've been quite content with the move. I miss the better premium brand offerings like JW, although the Conrad is a solid choice. I've had very consistent upgrades across the board at Hilton, even in some tough properties (Hilton Hawaiian Village). The waived resort fee on award stays is a good perk. I'm also a raving fan of the Hilton app and online check-in that allows you to choose your specific room from the floor map.

When I don't stay at a Hilton I'm generally choosing based on quality and location. Sometimes that's a Marriott/Starwood property, although more often than not it's led me to book boutique brands. Net net, Marriott/SPG have most certainly lost a good chunk of my business.
With this HH Diamond lounge benefit, does all brands participate? or similar to Marriott, that there are some brands that excluded (and seems like they start removing this lounge benefit for St Regis and Luxury Collection in addition to Ritz-Carlton - non offering)
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by christianj
Based on all these comments and my personal experiences, I think the real statistic that Marriott should be concerned with is how many elite members chose to book a stay at a Hilton property (or any competitor for that matter) when in the past they would have automatically booked a Marriott stay...not how many additional members HH signed up.
This. At least among Flyertalkers, I imagine most of us already had HH numbers, we just hardly utilized them. For me, HH was my secondary program and I only used it when it was impractical or impossible to stay at a *wood. This year I only have 6 nights at Marriott and far more at HH. I don't prioritize Marriott like I did *wood.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
Hilton App

Originally Posted by dll
Yes. Lounge access + 100% bonus on points. I left Marriott for Hilton, and as a Diamond, I've been quite content with the move. I miss the better premium brand offerings like JW, although the Conrad is a solid choice. I've had very consistent upgrades across the board at Hilton, even in some tough properties (Hilton Hawaiian Village). The waived resort fee on award stays is a good perk. I'm also a raving fan of the Hilton app and online check-in that allows you to choose your specific room from the floor map.
Beyond being able to choose your room, AND the Digital Key actually works. And in my short experience with it, it arrives in less than 10 minutes versus the never arriving, please see the front desk, Marriott D Key.

Did not realize award stay resort fees waived like Hyatt. Nothing worse than a points stay where you are still paying $100 + / night parking, fees, etc.

Last edited by I 40; Feb 16, 2019 at 1:12 pm
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by freeflyin
Perfectly stated and this is exactly what I have been doing ,as well as my employees.

I have too. And have been comped status with several brands. That or I have saved money going elsewhere and simply purchased what I have normally gotten in a lounge.

The biggest difference so far is the late checkout. Status does matter here. Again, I usually can pay for it with the savings of scoping out the cheapest hotel.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Eliminating 4 pm checkout for everyone except plats was a huge mistake in my opinion.
Sabai and vincentharris like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Wait'll you find out that Hilton Diamond is essentially worthless...
or wait until Hilton announces another level between Gold and Diamond or above the Diamond, which is a MUST, considering the current situation.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by coltonatx
When will people understand that SPG Gold members via CC (or else) supposed to get free breakfast? It was a temporary glitch when Marriott & spg aligned status categories.

I'm sick of people saying “waaaah AMEX & Marriott took away my free breakfast”
Well, glitch or not, pulling it means one more thing that doesn't stack up compared to Hilton.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Eliminating 4 pm checkout for everyone except plats was a huge mistake in my opinion.

That along with losing lounge access at gold level, and the outrageous points redemptions now (Properties that were 10k - 12k a night in points at SPG are now regularly 60k + in Marriott which means the 1:3 transfer was crap) solidified me leaving

On top of that the last few times I HAD to stay (location requirements) at any Marriott property the customer service and stay has been awful. It is one thing to lose elites and others because you botched the merger, but that should mean from the top down customer service on property should be outstanding, and at least in my small sample set it has not been.

I used to be a huge Hyatt fan and then they created adventurers and cave diver levels and botched their program, then I moved my life to SPG and was happy until Marriott gutted and destroyed it.

I am platinum at IHG and Diamond at Hilton and between the two I have been very happy. IHG has good (not great) redemption and Hilton has a global portfolio of hotels I need. At this point I have not staayed at a Hyatt property in over a year and will only stay at Marriott if I am required to (for work as an example)
RafKa likes this.

Last edited by vincentharris; Feb 17, 2019 at 9:11 am
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris
That along with losing lounge access at gold level, and the outrageous points redemptions now (Properties that were 10k - 12k a night in points at SPG are now regularly 60k + in Marriott which means the 1:3 transfer was crap) solidified me leaving

On top of that the last few times I HAD to stay (location requirements) at any Marriott property the customer service and stay has been awful. It is one thing to lose elites and others because you botched the merger, but that should mean from the top down customer service on property should be outstanding, and at least in my small sample set it has not been.

I used to be a huge Hyatt fan and then they created adventurers and cave diver levels and botched their program, then I moved my life to SPG and was happy until Marriott gutted and destroyed it.

I am platinum at IHG and Diamond at Hilton and between the two I have been very happy. IHG has good (not great) redemption and Hilton has a global portfolio of hotels I need. At this point I have not staayed at a Hyatt property in over a year and will only stay at Marriott if I am required to (for work as an example)
I’m currently at the JW Marriott Shanghai Tomorrow Square and the service level is like night and day vs properties in the US. I’m assuming this property is owned and managed by Marriott as opposed to majority of properties in the states are franchises

i feel the same as you back home, I’d much prefer staying at a hyatt vs Marriott.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:24 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kaizen7
With this HH Diamond lounge benefit, does all brands participate? or similar to Marriott, that there are some brands that excluded (and seems like they start removing this lounge benefit for St Regis and Luxury Collection in addition to Ritz-Carlton - non offering)
AFAIK, the only property that is officially excluded is in Washington, DC at the Conrad. Not all Hilton properties have lounges, mind you (especially in "resort" destinations). They had one at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for a number of years in the Rainbow tower. It served a very simple continental breakfast. They closed that in favor of a $10/person nightly credit, up to $20/night, to be used on-site at a restaurant. That does not cover the cost of daily breakfast in the buffet (quite far from it), but I find it works for me.

This policy is still somewhat inconsistent as many Hilton properties do not offer lounges. Hilton Bentley in South Beach does not have a lounge, as one example. There, HHonors Gold get continental breakfast in the restaurant, and Diamond get a full breakfast. Conrad Chicago, another example, does not have a lounge. There Diamonds are offered a breakfast in the restaurant. Depending on occupancy that can be the full buffet or a credit for a la carte items (they don't offer buffet on low occupancy days). But it's far easier to navigate than the labyrinth of Marriott's new policies about breakfast and lounge access.

With Hilton, even at the highest end properties, Diamonds get lounge access if one exists, and in most cases breakfast if a lounge does not exist.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Prince Gallery Luxury Collection Tokyo is now not giving plats/ tits lounge access anymore.

Another reason why I am 100% switching stays away from Marriott even more coming up as the dust settles.

I have decided to switch to Hyatt and smaller like Mandarin Oriental. I have since posting at top of thread cancelled stays at St. Regis Istanbul and JW Marriott Hong Kong and switched to Park Hyatt Istanbul and Grand Hyatt HK.

Reducing benefits at the luxury props reinforces my belief Marriott doesn't get me or care about luxury segment.

Profits probably are better at Residence Inn
​​​​
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:39 am

I moved over to the Suzhou Marriott and have been upgraded to a 1br exec suite. Awesome
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:46 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Personally, I think it was thought out, deliberate and unlikely to really cause them any large push back from customers. First, legacy Marriott Rewards didn't have any guaranteed late checkout for any elites. What Marriott has done now is a compromise that gives a previously enjoyed benefit to their "best" legacy SPG members (i.e. Plats), as well as, adding a new guarantee to the legacy Marriott Rewards Gold and higher elites (which equates to the new Bonvoy Plat and above levels.) So they have added a new benefit probably to their larger elite base (Marriott Rewards members) while limiting the likely pushback legacy Marriott hotels had with adding this new benefit (by limiting it to the Bonvoy top 3 elite levels).

I just don't see that as a "mistake" and doubt they will change it to include the new Bonvoy Gold levels as there are too many elites with that level, but I've been wrong before and I'm sure I will be again. So who knows.

Originally Posted by vincentharris

I'm not following you on this. The old SPG Gold level never had guaranteed lounge access and the old Marriott Rewards Gold level is now the Bonvoy Plat level. So the same people that had lounge access before have it now. I do guess there was a short period of time where having SPG Gold translated to Marriott Gold, but that was never implied nor intended to be a long-term benefit.

And if you are saying bonvoy to the Marriott Bonvoy program and going with IHG or Hyatt instead, I do hope that works out for you. But IHG now has 50K/night hotels that a few years ago were only 15K points (and there was no 1:3 translations or anything like that in there.) I used to use IHG as my secondary program, but their rate increases while limiting some of their bonus opportunities and all the while providing virtually NO real elite benefits and limiting award room availability, I've had to look elsewhere. And while Hyatt has some nice benefits, good hotel coverage where I tend to travel isn't one of them. So they are a niche player for me.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by BaconSF

I’m currently at the JW Marriott Shanghai Tomorrow Square and the service level is like night and day vs properties in the US. I’m assuming this property is owned and managed by Marriott as opposed to majority of properties in the states are franchises

i feel the same as you back home, I’d much prefer staying at a hyatt vs Marriott.
Both domestic & international locations for me lately have been the ones that are terrible

Last edited by hhoope01; Feb 18, 2019 at 1:31 pm Reason: Added an accidentally removed bracket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.