Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Originally Posted by navatwal
I apllied today and was approved, I then applied for my wife using myreferral link and she got the message below:

"based on your history with American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive this welcome offer."

She received a bonus on Marriott Business around 3-6 months ago, I went ahead and applied, will she still receive a bonus as the terms and conditions state these new rules for preivous bonuses go into affect on August 26th.

Do we still get the bonus even with this language?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/GS, MR Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
My wife and I both have the SPG personal card. We mostly use mine but I got her one for the welcome bonus last Sept. Today I log in and mine has nothing for an upgrade offer while she has 100k points for upgrading and spending $5k by Oct 31. Kinda sucks because I'm SPG Plat/MAR LTP and spend over $50k on my card annually while she is a GM and we dont even use her card.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by bailey911
Well for those of us who were looking to get to Plat after losing the temp SPG Gold match to Marriott Gold benefits the spend on your existing personal SPG card this year can help. I just checked and see I have indeed hit the $75K so far this year so all I would need to do is upgrade and then I'm a Plat.

I'll do it because of of my upcoming travel certs and some points in my Marriott Account.

But when all the points are gone and the $450 renewal comes up I don't see any reason to keep any of my Chase Marriott or SPG cards.
Hold on. If I upgrade I get status for points I earned already? Between the 100K bonus and the platinum status next year, I may take the plunge...
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Hard pass on this card.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Just posted longer in another thread... But short data point .

Was offered 100,000 points to upgrade. Accepted. Approved right away. Not sure if because before Aug 26 or because I relatively high spender.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
They got to be joking: Earn 15,000 points after you upgrade from your current Starwood Preferred Guest®Credit Card
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:47 pm

cfischer exactly right. I have been spending 100K for ten years and all they are offering me is 15,000 points.
Not!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I got the 15K offer for upgrading. Pass. I did just apply and was approved for the Chase Marriott Rewards Plus card (should get the 75K bonus for that). I'll be dumping the Chase card after I get the bonus and holding onto my SPG Amex. At least this was a bit better than my Chase upgrade offer of 10K to upgrade to the Plus card.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I was offered 0 wow... I wonder what is the criteria for their offers... I have marriott personal + business, spg personal + business and ritz. Maybe they dont give you a good offer when you already have the ritz or something like that?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:22 pm

Mine was offered 15K points.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:32 pm

Hilton Gives Diamond Status.

I can't see why I'd stick with Starwood for a premium card.

Marriott Rewards Gold is pathetic.
Worse than the old SPG Gold and Worse than old Marriott Gold.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by navatwal
Do we still get the bonus even with this language?
You shouldn't but that language is fairly new. And I'm not yet sure if we have any data points for people who applied even after seeing that warning pop-up message. Would be interested in finding out if that's a bluff from AMEX or the real deal.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I would like the Hilton aspire... But don't like that the spend rebate is only at resorts unlike SPG Luxury. I am more a WA or Conrad type and there are very few in Asia where I spend bulk of my time.

SPG Luxury seems like a no brainer if you spend a reasonable amount at Marriott even if it stops being a go to card because of devaluation.

Of note, i also like priority pass...
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:48 pm

Data points for folks getting the message of no bonus; maybe its helpful? My card approvals (as they pertain to this scenario) and date opened.

SPG Luxury Amex 8/18
Ritz Carlton Chase 7/18
Old Marriott Chase 4/18
Delta Gold Amex 03/18
SPG Personal Amex 11/17
Amex Platinum 02/17

4 open Amex accounts currently. 3 open Chase accounts currently. I see no rhyme or reason why I was accepted for all and others were not. Hope this helps someone.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by ehallison
And...I'm not eligible for the bonus offer based on my history with American Express. I believe my only Amex cards in the past were the SPG business which I kept open for 3 years, and the SPG personal which I did close when the annual fee came around. I currently have a Blue card.
At least it was nice of them to let me know before the credit check.
Like you, I also had the SPG business and SPG personal cards. I closed both a few years ago. I applied today for the SPG business and got "no" pop up saying I was not eligible for the bonus and was approved. FYI, I also currently have the BBP and Platinum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.