Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Will existing "Points Advance" reservations raise in price on March 5th???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will existing "Points Advance" reservations raise in price on March 5th???

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Hello,
I need your help. I booked a stay at a category 3 hotel before that particular hotel went up to category 4 (JW Beijing Central).
My reservation now shows the incorrect number of points from the newer, higher category. What can I do now? I have > 2'000'000 points in my account so I don't know why this problem even came up...
Thanks in advance for your help!
Old May 6, 2019, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Muerz
Hello,
I need your help. I booked a stay at a category 3 hotel before that particular hotel went up to category 4 (JW Beijing Central).
My reservation now shows the incorrect number of points from the newer, higher category. What can I do now? I have > 2'000'000 points in my account so I don't know why this problem even came up...
read the last three pages and you will find your solution
Old May 6, 2019, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
The problem is getting PA reservations honoured when paying with a free night cert, not points. That does not seem possible.
No experience with that. It does however appear that using certs for these types of reservations is not possible.
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Muerz
Hello,
the chances of you not knowing it was a point advance reservation with that kind of balance is almost zero. Marriott by default take some your points unless you voluntarily click you want points advance.

Having said that, Marriott will most likely make good on your reservation unless they took the points already at the lower level and you are just seeing the increased level on the reservation.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:18 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
My Amassador is taking care of this.

Note — if I change the date on an existing reservation, there shouldn't be any issues, just like if it was fully paid for before Mar 5, right?
Old May 28, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by helvetic
My Amassador is taking care of this.

Note — if I change the date on an existing reservation, there shouldn't be any issues, just like if it was fully paid for before Mar 5, right?
If you change the dates, the reservation will re-price at the new rate, assuming the rate has changed since you made the booking.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by mster
No experience with that. It does however appear that using certs for these types of reservations is not possible.
Is it possible to finalize a points advance reservation with a Marriott travel package cert if the award rate has *not* changed? I have a points advance reservation made after March 5th that I'd like to use a Marriott travel package cert for...
Old May 29, 2019, 12:37 am

Is it possible to finalize a points advance reservation with a Marriott travel package cert if the award rate has *not* changed? I have a points advance reservation made after March 5th that I'd like to use a Marriott travel package cert for...
can you just remake the reservation instead since it seems the easiest? (unless there is no more availability).
Old May 29, 2019, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by myperks
can you just remake the reservation instead since it seems the easiest? (unless there is no more availability).
Award availability for the dates of my current points advance reservation no longer exists.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:49 am

Award availability for the dates of my current points advance reservation no longer exists.
i don't know exactly but i would think since the certificate is for the same category and they don't need to upgrade anything, it should work.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:10 pm

Anybody have a success story when dealing with the made Mar 5 business? It was not charged at the higher rate, and it wasn't March 5, but the agent said they use Zulu time so many of my reservations are now made Mar 5.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Anybody have a success story when dealing with the made Mar 5 business? It was not charged at the higher rate, and it wasn't March 5, but the agent said they use Zulu time so many of my reservations are now made Mar 5.
OMAAT wrote about this "booking at hotel local time" issue here. But can't remember having read something about the outcome!
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Artemio
OMAAT wrote about this "booking at hotel local time" issue here. But can't remember having read something about the outcome!
Yea, sadly no answers on there. But I also don't have a screenshot. I did have success with the KM 6115 trick in getting them to honor one that was booked on Mar 4, according to their system. But the others the agent said was Mar 5, so no dice.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Yea, sadly no answers on there. But I also don't have a screenshot. I did have success with the KM 6115 trick in getting them to honor one that was booked on Mar 4, according to their system. But the others the agent said was Mar 5, so no dice.
Why would you not make any screen shot when you were making the speculative bookings at the LAST MINUTES?
You could easily make those several hours earlier and would not harm anything. Or you could have made screen shots on them when you waited till the last minutes - everybody would have known since last year how Marriott / Bonvoy customer service became not only nonexistent, but often hostile towards customers.

KM6115 is an internal published memo to give instructions on how to handle the PA reservations made before March 5. It isn't any trick but a well-kept secret that Marriott does not want you know when the agents are poorly informed and not knowing what to do.

Key is BEFORE March 5 the date the change becomes in effect,

Sorry to say that you may be out of luck without the screen shots to prove the old rates confirmed with the time stamp on them. Search the net with google and see if you could turn up any success stories.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: Lowly Delta Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold
I had made 2 semi-speculative Points Advance reservations back in February, only keeping one. Around Apr-May time frame, I happened to notice that the reservation went up in points from 150K to 180K, called and was basically told I was SOL.

Just came across this thread, read the comments about people getting points adjusted, so I called Marriott and they just deposited 30,000 points into my account. Overall, I've noticed that the Marriott Bonvoy customer service is greatly improved, have had a couple of other issues and they have gone above and beyond for this lifetime Titanium member! Thanks everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.