Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Malta Marriott Hotel & Spa - St. Julians Malta [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malta Marriott Hotel & Spa - St. Julians Malta [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by Dav77
It’s on a nice and quiet area, sea front and there is a walking way all around with some bars and restaurants, even if it’s not the best area for this purpose.

you can find much more (probably too much) on Paceville area (where the Westin is, 20 minutes by walk) or La Valletta area, 10 minutes by car
Did you get a chance to check out the pool in the hotel? Also, it looks like there is a small beach/swim area right across the street - is that the case?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:32 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Did you get a chance to check out the pool in the hotel? Also, it looks like there is a small beach/swim area right across the street - is that the case?
in fact there is a small beach in front of the hotel ....but....you can see how it is ...

the 12nd floor, where the pool is located, is closed yet
trekwars2000 and MDtR-Chicago like this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:50 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Since the last update was pre-Covid, I will add a few words about my recent stay last weekend.

The hotel was closed for a while due to Covid and then re-opened. They have a hygiene concept that includes contact tracing, hand sanitizer everywhere (including sanitizing tissue in the room), temperature checks when you enter the hotel, plexiglass protecting the check-in staff and masks required in all in all indoor public areas except when seated at a socially distanced table.

The breakfast was a la carte, with some limited items like cereals and fruit available from a small Buffett of sealed items. I thought the breakfast was great. Generally I wish more hotels would switch to a la carte. As a platinum I was able to order anything from the menu at no cost.

I had booked the basic room, but was upgraded to a sea view room with an expansive outdoor terrace. There was a bottle of wine and manager‘s note in the room as an extra amenity. Interestingly enough, I was never asked about my choice of amenities, nor was I told about my platinum benefits at the hotel.

The lounge was closed. I asked if it was closed because it was the weekend and was told it is „generally closed“. Not sure if it is due to the shoulder season or due to Covid. My guess would be Covid as the primary driver. Based upon the list for breakfast, I would estimate around only 20 rooms were occupied on the night I stayed.

The pool was open. I did not get to use it, but imagine it would have been relaxing given the low occupancy level at the hotel.

I then moved for two nights to the Westin. In the end both of these hotels are not very far between each other. I would recommend both of them

A la carte breakfast menu

The early morning view from the balcony

Outdoor pool with bar

View of pool from bar

Expansive terrace with 2 tables for two persons and two sun loungers

The junior suite had two swiveling TVs

Living room from entry

There is a separate toilet (without a sink, which I thought was a design flaw).

Cosmetics Supplied in the main bathroom (which had separate shower and tub, double sinks, but no toilet)
Old Jul 23, 2021, 11:35 am

Trying to decide between the Marriott Malta, IC, Westin, Hilton, and Hyatt. I believe they all have club lounges except for the Hyatt and the IC's club is allegedly the best. Don't care for nightlife, but looking for good location, quality of club lounge, elite recognition, and newness of rooms. Any suggestions? I'm Marriott Titanium/IHG Plat/Hilton Diamond/Globalist.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone have experience using Suite Night Awards at this hotel ? I just booked a room for next month and got an error message that Suite Nights could not be applied to my reservation. I confirmed there are plenty of standard suites or premium rooms available.

Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:14 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Had a great stay here when this was a Le Meridien in 2017, looking forward to trying out the renovated version sometime in the future.
Old May 6, 2022, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Trying to decide between the Marriott Malta, IC, Westin, Hilton, and Hyatt. I believe they all have club lounges except for the Hyatt and the IC's club is allegedly the best. Don't care for nightlife, but looking for good location, quality of club lounge, elite recognition, and newness of rooms. Any suggestions? I'm Marriott Titanium/IHG Plat/Hilton Diamond/Globalist.
Lounge is nice with nice views, wine, beer, some alcohol and champagne, self service or can ask attendants. Also has outdoor seating areas. 6 - 10 hot and cold snack options, (served by attendant, I guess due to Covid). I found acceptable, enjoyed my stay. All day a fully stocked freezer with juice, water, etc and an espresso machine.

I am Titanium, received a Jr suite upgrade (large room, high floor), welcome letter and gift of Maltese wine and 2 sparkling waters. Welcome option of 1K points or E10 to spend in Atrium restaurant. Late checkout of 4pm, plus can stay in hotel till I left to airport at 6pm (including lounge access and spa access where I showered). Lounge access and free BF at restaurant. Staff was great, property in great shape, good location, overall a fantastic stay, was able to use my Chase 35K certificate. I really enjoyed my stay. Good wifi. Beds were comfortable, nice shower, turndown service with chocolates, plush robes and slippers. Good location.

Lounge, indoor and outdoor options with great views

I did visit the Hilton, and that is a resort, huge pools and better views. It does look nicer than the Marriott. Lobby was packed during afternoon tea time, plus live music.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:51 pm

Is this hotel worth a 50k free night cert from my Ritz card? It's only 40k points and the only option for a suite night award is a two queen studio suite. Seems very poor for an upgrade and it seems like people get upgraded to better rooms without it. Is the club lounge worth it? I can stay in the HIE for 19k points and get full access to the IC facilities (pool and gym at least) plus free breakfast. Ideas?
Old Sep 24, 2022, 4:53 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium

View from the balcony

Had a stay here recently, good elite recognition, upgraded to a Mediterranean suite from a standard room. Excellent lounge - staff never skipped a beat bringing our next drinks as soon as we had finished (also sat outside). Honestly cannot remember the last time I had service as good as that. Drinks were being served from 17:00 until 21:00 as well. The lounge itself is a fairly decent size food offerings were just ok.

The room was a very decent size with a sea view and the breakfast spread was decent. Only two negatives - AC wasn’t good enough to keep the room that cool, whilst the temperature drops in the evening I would wake up around 5am as the outside temperature increased. Also as mentioned previously whilst the suite has 1.5 bathrooms the main toilet is a standalone room without a sink.

Bathroom products were l'occitane.

Location is not a bad spot, if I could pick up and move the hotel I’d put it in Valletta but it is in a nicer spot than the main area of St Julian’s.

I’m heading back to Malta in a few months and will stay here again.

Last edited by Will08; Sep 24, 2022 at 5:23 am
Old Jan 3, 2023, 5:12 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Need some input regarding the pool area of this hotel vs the Westin? Looking at size and the pool at the Marriott looks tiny and we might have to walk across the road and enjoy the public beach - or visit other attractions like the Blue Lagoon, Blue Grotto and a variety of beaches instead.

Also, comparing both properties - looking for casual to upscale restaurants for dinner, something easy to walk to - which property would be better?

Otherwise, happy to consider other non-Marriott properties even though we'd miss out of potential upgrades etc as Titaniums.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Need some input regarding the pool area of this hotel vs the Westin? Looking at size and the pool at the Marriott looks tiny and we might have to walk across the road and enjoy the public beach - or visit other attractions like the Blue Lagoon, Blue Grotto and a variety of beaches instead.

Also, comparing both properties - looking for casual to upscale restaurants for dinner, something easy to walk to - which property would be better?

Otherwise, happy to consider other non-Marriott properties even though we'd miss out of potential upgrades etc as Titaniums.
The pool is small, but I would not consider it tiny. Depending on the time of day due to the sun position, it was good enough for me. The beach in front of hotel is unusable. The Hilton pool is a lot better, great HH treatment.
alanslegal likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:38 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by BG-777Flyer
Does anyone have experience using Suite Night Awards at this hotel ? I just booked a room for next month and got an error message that Suite Nights could not be applied to my reservation. I confirmed there are plenty of standard suites or premium rooms available.

This is a lovely hotel. I was able to apply Suite Night Awards to 5 night stay in September 2021.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:48 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by alanslegal

I agree with the post above, the beach outside the hotel is tiny at the best of times and packed, really not worth a visit. The Marriott hotel pool is smaller than the Westin's pool but I prefer staying at the Marriott. There are quite a few nice restaurants in Spinola bay but the Marriott is closer to Valletta, which for me is the best spot for restaurants. The only thing I find annoying with the Marriott hotel is the lift buttons being outside the lift!
alanslegal likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Any updates on the Marriott in the last year? Currently trying to decide between Westin and Marriott. I understand the Marriott has opened a second outdoor pool, although I haven't read any reviews about it. But I'm mostly concerned with elite benefits (Titanium), room views/upgrades, and quality of breakfast and/or lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.