Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott/SPG hotel confirmation with all guest names for China visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott/SPG hotel confirmation with all guest names for China visa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Angry Marriott/SPG hotel confirmation with all guest names for China visa

Anyone here have any luck getting a Marriott and/or SPG reservation to list all of the guest names on the confirmation? I am travelling to China with spouse and son, and in order to obtain a China visa, we are required to show proof of the hotel reservation for each individual, i.e., all of the names need to be listed so we can each get the visa. I have sent emails to customer service, and spent over an hour on the phone with Platinum Elite reservations customer service, and they appear to be completely flummoxed by this (apparently entirely insane) request. They've connected us directly to our hotels and the response has gone from adding 2 more guests to the room in one location (i.e., now there are FIVE of us) to sending us screen shots of the hotel reservation system with various names populated - none of which meet the relatively stringent requirements for the visa.

We can't possibly be the only people needing this - and when we requested same from Hilton and our other hotels, it was done in literally minutes. It's been a week now.... Ready to just change hotels.

TIA for any help
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FlyingFaux
Anyone here have any luck getting a Marriott and/or SPG reservation to list all of the guest names on the confirmation? I am travelling to China with spouse and son, and in order to obtain a China visa, we are required to show proof of the hotel reservation for each individual, i.e., all of the names need to be listed so we can each get the visa. I have sent emails to customer service, and spent over an hour on the phone with Platinum Elite reservations customer service, and they appear to be completely flummoxed by this (apparently entirely insane) request. They've connected us directly to our hotels and the response has gone from adding 2 more guests to the room in one location (i.e., now there are FIVE of us) to sending us screen shots of the hotel reservation system with various names populated - none of which meet the relatively stringent requirements for the visa.

We can't possibly be the only people needing this - and when we requested same from Hilton and our other hotels, it was done in literally minutes. It's been a week now.... Ready to just change hotels.

TIA for any help
Welcome to FlyerTalk, FlyingFaux!

Try reserving 5 individual rooms with one name per room, generate hotel reservation documentation, and then cancel all 5 but keep the current reservations as is?

David
Isochronous likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What if the kid is too young for his own hotel room?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Yes, our son is 12, so I think might be an issue reserving his hotel room by himself. We were trying to avoid a "dummy" reservation, but may have little choice as Marriott does not seem capable of handling what should be a pretty easy request.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingFaux
Yes, our son is 12, so I think might be an issue reserving his hotel room by himself. We were trying to avoid a "dummy" reservation, but may have little choice as Marriott does not seem capable of handling what should be a pretty easy request.
I dont think you have other option. No hotel chain I believe has such capability even both Hilton and IHG can show Additional guest names on the reservation but may not be in the format the Chinese government required. You can try a dummy booking on Hilton site and use the additional guest function and see if it would print it out showing the additional guest name. I know for award redemption Honor definitely shows it, not sure whether revenue reservation would behave the same.

This is very common among people I know who need to apply Chinese visa - even the travel agency used recommend to do this because, as we all recognize, it is just bureaucratic red tapes by the idiotic Chinese government. You will NOT be required to provide any hotel reservation proof when you entry China with your valid Visa.

You can keep wasting your time and pull your hairs out trying to do it the "right way" but in reality this is very easy to get around and gazillions of people have done it before you.
rny321 and ftrichard like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:21 pm

i don’t understand why some visa processors need all these items to process a Chinese visa. Our corporate one does too and require a boat load of documentation but I just take it to my local Chinese travel agency. Only airline ticket (for visitor) for business invitation letter (for business) required. None of these hotel reservation and letters from both sides nonsense.
fmastr, KRSW and RoyalFlush like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What if the kid is too young for his own hotel room?
When does a booking ask for age? They may be too young for membership and they might balk if they try to check in, but I don't think there is anything to block the reservation.

Also, I think showing the rez as being for Traveler and Family would suffice. Although I have no direct experience doing such.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by myperks
i don’t understand why some visa processors need all these items to process a Chinese visa. Our corporate one does too and require a boat load of documentation but I just take it to my local Chinese travel agency. Only airline ticket (for visitor) for business invitation letter (for business) required. None of these hotel reservation and letters from both sides nonsense.
Business visa requirements are different.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
When does a booking ask for age? They may be too young for membership and they might balk if they try to check in, but I don't think there is anything to block the reservation.

Also, I think showing the rez as being for Traveler and Family would suffice. Although I have no direct experience doing such.
There you are - you think, but that is not what the Chinese authority thinks. You do what they require, not what you think.

Just do the dummy bookings, get the visa process done, then cancel the bookings.

In fact, the mainland Chinese folks do the same, except to satisfy the authorities of the countries they need visa to visit. Many like Booking.com for the reason that Booking.com often have properties with no credit required, 100% cancelable without fee before the deadline, just perfect to meet the visa application requirement other countries imposed on the Mainland Chinese passport holders.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Business visa requirements are different.
thank you for stating the obvious but my point is that the traditional big visa processors are asking for way too much documentation that the Chinese consulate doesn’t even need according to my travel agency. Airline ticket (for visitor visa) or standard business letter invitation (for business visa) is all that is required. Source: just renewed mine last month and mine came back in 5 days and half the cost of going through our corporate processors and half the amount of documentation.

Back to OP, if you continue with your current processor I would just make dummy reservations. Can’t be harder than trying to get the hotel to make up something for you.
fmastr likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP

thank you for stating the obvious but my point is that the traditional big visa processors are asking for way too much documentation that the Chinese consulate doesn’t even need according to my travel agency. Airline ticket (for visitor visa) or standard business letter invitation (for business visa) is all that is required. Source: just renewed mine last month and mine came back in 5 days and half the cost of going through our corporate processors and half the amount of documentation.
According to the Chinese Embassy in the United States, this is required for an L visa.:
Documents showing the itinerary including air ticket booking record (round trip) and proof of a hotel reservation, etc. or an invitation letter issued by a relevant entity or individual in China.
An M visa (business visa) has different requirements.

How to Apply ? Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the United States of America
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back to OP, if you continue with your current processor I would just make dummy reservations. Can’t be harder than trying to get the hotel to make up something for you.
You keep telling us how easy it is for going thru your CORPORATE PROCESSORS.

Can your corporate processor handle the poster's family of 5 visa applications?

If so, then what you harp on may have some merit. If not, then what you harp on not only has no merit but is plain wrong, and is contrary to what is OFFICIALLY STATED in the Chinese government's own website(s).

Therefore it is the OBVIOUS but you are the one who is ignoring the obvious that is the reason why yours is so easy while the mere travelers are not so easy and have far more requirements.

Again, what are required for an M Visa are very different from what are required for an L Visa. See for yourself what are required for the ordinary travelers applying for an L visa.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - at least we are not alone in needing to circumvent the process. We're done wasting time with the hotels and have what will hopefully we a workable solution. As an aside, we had no issue getting Hilton to list all of the guests, as well as a smaller hotel in one of the towns (not major city) that we'll be visiting. I think it is just how the reservation fields are set up in the chain (or non-chain) hotel you use. Marriott/SPG just isn't set up to provide the information in the required format.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You keep telling us how easy it is for going thru your CORPORATE PROCESSORS.

Can your corporate processor handle the poster's family of 5 visa applications?

If so, then what you harp on may have some merit. If not, then what you harp on not only has no merit but is plain wrong, and is contrary to what is OFFICIALLY STATED in the Chinese government's own website(s).

Therefore it is the OBVIOUS but you are the one who is ignoring the obvious that is the reason why yours is so easy while the mere travelers are not so easy and have far more requirements.

Again, what are required for an M Visa are very different from what are required for an L Visa. See for yourself what are required for the ordinary travelers applying for an L visa.

reread my post again. I actually saying the opposite not to go through a corporate-like processor. Them corporate like processors require documentation like no other. My example was that if I went through my corporate processor it will take a lot more time and documentation. (I.e. CIBT, Cox&King). By the way, I’ve processed family members L visa the same way last year, dummy airline ticket only. Same 5 days.

Not promoting them or have any relationship with them but www.chinesenotary.com processes lots for Bay Area agencies and their requirements don’t even list the hotel requirements yet they get them done.

Last edited by myperks; Jan 27, 2019 at 4:43 pm
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Call hotel directly.
They understand the need and can do it for you easily.

Way too many people spouting nonsense on this forum.

The hotel can create a reservation document for you.

Last edited by deadinabsentia; Jan 27, 2019 at 5:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.