Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Siddharta Lounge by Buddha bar, located at 6th floor

and WIP lounge entrance (same floor) but unfortunately closed yet

Old Dec 25, 2019, 3:53 am

Stay is ending this afternoon

I would spend some words on all the staff, that I found very nice and helpful, starting from the one at breakfast, especially the black African guy at coffee machine, really pleasant

all the staff is smiling, always asking if everything is ok or if you need something

I had a small issue on credit card (my mistake) and the guy at reception was very polite and collaborative

the hotel itself is peaceful, you wouldn’t ever leave the pool. Probably also because the hotel is now at 50/60% of its capacity

there is always some music, but never so loud

the pool water is heated, lovely temperature, like the weather right now (26/27 degrees)

cleanliness is impeccable

the room (Junior Suite) is completely insulated, really 10+ on that.

a lot of complimentary bottled water (8 x day in room)

complimentary bottled water even at pool and frozen drinks also are served during the day

daily gift in room every day (biscuits/ chocolates/ peanuts / cold milk)

evening turndown service

I can’t find any particular negative aspect, except for WIP lounge not open yet ...and the prices at bar / restaurant are quite expensive. But this because Oman is more expensive than Dubai / Abu Dhabi

some examples: Burger 9/10 OMR - Cocktail 7/9 OMR - beef fillet 18 OMR - Beer 6 OMR - Pizza / Pasta 8/10 OMR - appetizers at Buddha Bar lounge 9/11 OMR
X-ON likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:23 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I've spent quite a chunk of time at this hotel over the last few weeks, and have the following feedback:
  • The service is WAY better than it was when I stayed in November. Staff is much friendlier, more personable and approachable than the cold, too-cool-for-school vibe I got from the staff the first time around.
  • Upgraded from a base room to a Marvelous Suite with separate bedroom and living room. If you're in the X01 and X40 suites, be warned: the protruding extension of the hotel's T shape will eat up the view from your bedroom window, and as such will stare right into the wall of the building.
  • The pool remains phenomenal; I'm not sure if it's heated but it's refreshingly cool and comfortable to lounge in. The 1.1 meter depth and the fact that it's open 24 hours make it all the better.
  • Breakfast - when it was available in the restaurant - was way better than during my first stay, with more variety and a higher-quality feel to the food. I found the options to initially be lackluster and basic, but there's far more imagination now - i.e. an antipasti station with several different salads rotating daily.
In keeping with Oman's new regulations due to COVID-19, the hotel's restaurants and bars closed with all F&B relegated to in-room dining, like other hotels around the world. The room service menu changed a few times over the course of our stay, but the staff must be credited for being flexible enough to cook off-menu dishes or recreate some items that were on the buffet but not the menu.

Fun fact: I was talking with one of the managers about the hotel, and he told me that it was initially supposed to be a Luxury Collection property as part of the original plans that would have seen the neighboring InterContinental monstrosity torn down and replaced by a Westin and Element. The owners yo-yoed from LC to W back to LC, and got far enough to drawing up design plans and selecting fit-out materials when they decided to switch back to W. Oman's strict building code aside, that would explain the hotel's architecture... and now all I can see is how much better this hotel would work for Muscat if it did open as an LC property. This is a beautiful W, but I'm still conflicted if W is right for the laid-back atmosphere and neutral character of Oman.

I'm glad the hotel is upping its game, and hope this virus craziness will wind down soon so that business can bounce back.

khabah
3rdworldresident and escape4 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:10 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
@khabah thanks for the detailed review! I hope to be able to visit soon...

I am assuming you are "stuck" in Oman for the moment?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by khabah
I've spent quite a chunk of time at this hotel over the last few weeks, and have the following feedback:
  • The service is WAY better than it was when I stayed in November. Staff is much friendlier, more personable and approachable than the cold, too-cool-for-school vibe I got from the staff the first time around.
  • Upgraded from a base room to a Marvelous Suite with separate bedroom and living room. If you're in the X01 and X40 suites, be warned: the protruding extension of the hotel's T shape will eat up the view from your bedroom window, and as such will stare right into the wall of the building.
  • The pool remains phenomenal; I'm not sure if it's heated but it's refreshingly cool and comfortable to lounge in. The 1.1 meter depth and the fact that it's open 24 hours make it all the better.
  • Breakfast - when it was available in the restaurant - was way better than during my first stay, with more variety and a higher-quality feel to the food. I found the options to initially be lackluster and basic, but there's far more imagination now - i.e. an antipasti station with several different salads rotating daily.
In keeping with Oman's new regulations due to COVID-19, the hotel's restaurants and bars closed with all F&B relegated to in-room dining, like other hotels around the world. The room service menu changed a few times over the course of our stay, but the staff must be credited for being flexible enough to cook off-menu dishes or recreate some items that were on the buffet but not the menu.

Fun fact: I was talking with one of the managers about the hotel, and he told me that it was initially supposed to be a Luxury Collection property as part of the original plans that would have seen the neighboring InterContinental monstrosity torn down and replaced by a Westin and Element. The owners yo-yoed from LC to W back to LC, and got far enough to drawing up design plans and selecting fit-out materials when they decided to switch back to W. Oman's strict building code aside, that would explain the hotel's architecture... and now all I can see is how much better this hotel would work for Muscat if it did open as an LC property. This is a beautiful W, but I'm still conflicted if W is right for the laid-back atmosphere and neutral character of Oman.

I'm glad the hotel is upping its game, and hope this virus craziness will wind down soon so that business can bounce back.

khabah
Interesting that they waffled between w and LC. We were in Oman in Feb - would've stayed there if it were a LC. It fits the surrounding mall etc as LC. We ended up at JW as worried about too much of a party atmosphere as a W
Old Dec 14, 2020, 3:54 am

Just completed a one-night staycation for a little change of scenery, and here are my observations:
  • Oman has majorly relaxed their COVID restrictions and allowed just about everything to reopen again, from shopping malls and restaurants to spas and tourist visas [tourists can come to Oman now, but can only do so if they present valid hotel bookings - this is obviously a measure for the government to force money into the hospitality sector after their mandated extended closure decimated the city's hotels].
  • My partner, a Titanium, made our reservation using points about a month ago, and used SNAs to select a Marvelous Suite. With occupancy being as low as it is [sub-10 percent during the week, up to 50 percent on weekends - no occupancy caps anymore however as they're allowed to go to 100 percent], the SNAs cleared. We always get bumped into Marvelous Suites at this property anyway; Plats are put into Fantastic Suites, Titaniums and Ambassadors into Marvelous.
  • Marvelous Suites at this hotel either end in -01 or -52; the -01s are in the 'armpit' of the building where the bedroom's balcony has a view into a wall, and the other balcony overlooks the hotel garden, and the -52s are located on the other end of the hallway overlooking the pool. Sea views from both.
  • We were initially given 352, which was right over the Living Room bar. Around sunset, even with the balcony doors closed, we could hear/feel the signature boom-boom music and bass vibrations, guests below us laughing audibly and getting carried away as one does with alcohol - and with the bar open until 2 AM, we asked to be moved and were transferred to 301. Garden-view rooms, despite having lesser views, are infinitely quieter.
  • There is a surprising amount of wear and tear; the chaise in the bedroom of 352 had several obvious tears sewn shut as did the one in 301, but that split right open when I sat on it. The leather goods [desktops, living room table] were scuffed, and wood surfaces were nicked and scratched. The ACs weren't working; the AC in 352 wouldn't allow me to change the fan settings, while the unit in 301 would function normally for some time after being manipulated and then recalibrate the temp and fan settings of its own accord when it wanted to. We also didn't get ANY hot water in the shower or bath. Running the shower for ten minutes on its hottest setting would get it up to warm, but that was it.
  • We chose breakfast as our welcome amenity, and were told that it was back at the main restaurant, Harvest [it was moved up to the rooftop Siddharta Lounge for a few months, and we much preferred the setting upstairs]. Although we were initially excited to have it back at Harvest and expected more food offerings, due to COVID the hotel has dramatically scaled back their breakfast. Gone are the lavish antipasti, fruit and salad stations - now you get crudités and sliced in plastic cups, cubed cheese in plastic-wrapped plates and other stations handled by staff.
  • Service is still good here, from well-intentioned staff that love their hotel.
  • We didn't use the pools this time, instead choosing to spend our outdoor time walking the beautiful beach outside now that people are allowed to use them again. Do note that the rooftop pool at Siddharta is open to guests 16 and over only.
  • A MAJOR detraction for me personally is the overwhelming amount of children at this hotel - I don't know if it's a sign of the times we live in now, but good LORD are children badly behaved these days: parents are too busy playing with their phones while their kids scream, kick and run amuck. This isn't even targeted to a particular group, as local and international kids were all a mess. We were in a pool cabana on our last stay, and a British couple took a cabana two down from us, and their three kids proceeded to run up and down the shallow part of the pool right behind us screaming their heads off and dragging each other into the water, and while they swam, the little monsters would splash the Hell out of the water and would spray us, our books and belongings without their parents batting a lash or telling them to behave themselves.
I do have a soft spot for the W, but I have to say it's hardening after this last stay. I understand that business has been hurting and we're not at that magical day where adults-only Ws are an option, but I wish there was an age limit, time restrictions or more proactive staff to intervene and tell parents off when kids are being a nuisance. W Muscat also needs to investigate its hardware issues, because the hotel isn't even two years old and the veneer is already starting to come undone.

khabah
Old May 5, 2022, 9:17 am

Any information about the WIP lounge if it has been opened or not ?
Old May 5, 2022, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Dav77
Any information about the WIP lounge if it has been opened or not ?
It wasn’t open last I checked in April; I think this one is going the way of the lounge at W Amman in that the lounge space is physically complete, but they can’t figure out how to, why or if they should offer lounge benefits to guests. At least W Amman is very generous with their elites, offering them full breakfast in the restaurant and happy hour in one of the hotel bars, but W Muscat is stingy in that they aren’t offering those [elite breakfast is the conventional points-or-breakfast amenity], and last I stayed you have to press them to get a drink voucher out of them at check-in. In any case, during my long-term stay over COVID in 2020, management had said back then that if they opened the lounge, they flat out said it would be for paying guests only and they wouldn’t grant automatic access or benefits to elites.

They’ve been using the lounge as an overflow space for Siddharta since it’s on the same floor, as well as for private events. Management was also talking about some kind of private dining experience, but wasn’t too clear about what it would entail or when it would be launched.

khabah
Dav77 likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by khabah
It wasn’t open last I checked in April; I think this one is going the way of the lounge at W Amman in that the lounge space is physically complete, but they can’t figure out how to, why or if they should offer lounge benefits to guests. At least W Amman is very generous with their elites, offering them full breakfast in the restaurant and happy hour in one of the hotel bars, but W Muscat is stingy in that they aren’t offering those [elite breakfast is the conventional points-or-breakfast amenity], and last I stayed you have to press them to get a drink voucher out of them at check-in. In any case, during my long-term stay over COVID in 2020, management had said back then that if they opened the lounge, they flat out said it would be for paying guests only and they wouldn’t grant automatic access or benefits to elites.

They’ve been using the lounge as an overflow space for Siddharta since it’s on the same floor, as well as for private events. Management was also talking about some kind of private dining experience, but wasn’t too clear about what it would entail or when it would be launched.

khabah
thanks. Same answers I got on December 2019 😬

they really need long time to take a decision …
Old Dec 4, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Thanks for all the photos and comments in this thread. The W Muscat looks like a lovely property and I'm excited to be staying there in a couple of weeks.

My flight to MCT arrives 01h20 on Dec 22. Accordingly, I've booked a stay starting Dec 21 which is mildly a waste but that's life. Does anyone have any experience about "late check-in" at this property? Should I call the hotel and have them put a note on my reservation or can I just show up on Dec 22 (really early!) and check in for a stay that starts on Dec 21?

Last edited by RCyyz; Dec 4, 2022 at 7:41 pm
Old Dec 4, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by RCyyz
Thanks for all the photos and comments in this thread. The W Muscat looks like a lovely property and I'm excited to be staying there in a couple of weeks.

My flight to MCT arrives 01h20 on Dec 22. Accordingly, I've booked a stay starting Dec 21 which is mildly a waste but that's life. Does anyone have any experience about "late check-in" at this property? Should I call the hotel and have them put a note on my reservation or can I just show up on Dec 2 (really early!) and check in for a stay that starts on Dec 21?
No experience at this particular property, but that's a good practice in general. I've had a hotel mark me as a no-show, which isn't the kind of aggravation you want when arriving at that hour.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Update to my post above - I called 1-800-Marriott and had them put a note on my reservation. The W Insider emailed me prior to my stay so I also asked him to note my late arrival. When I got here (around 03h00!!) everything was fine, though check in did take longer than I thought it would.

No upgrades for me even though I'm Titanium. But the standard room I'm in is nice enough and comfortable. As others have noted, you basically get unlimited bottle water in the room which is certainly useful. I'm overlooking the garden (not the pool). I guess this side of the hotel is "quieter", but the lounge music playing in the 6th floor lounge / restaurant is bothersome since I have my sliding door open. If I close the door and turn on the A/C I think the noise will be OK, but I prefer to leave the door open at night. (I'm up on the 8th floor so the risk of someone trying to climb into my room is as close to zero as it gets.)

I visited the IC next door. What a dated property that one is! It's nice enough I suppose, but it's really nothing compared to the W.

I wonder how well this W will do long term though. I honestly feel like I'm not cool enough to be staying here. The place, nice that it is (see pics upthread), really doesn't seem to match the more understated nature of the Omanis. There are Omanis staying here now but will they come back? Will there be enough tourists to support this very large and clearly very expensive property?

OK, some comments on the hotel & the neighbourhood:

- If you're a pool person, this is the place to be. (Again, see pics upthread.)
- Food at the Harvest restaurant is decent but nothing special. They do a nice enough breakfast there.
- Ba Ban restaurant is quite good. It's a Chinese restaurant and the food there is refined, but expensive. Classify this one under "nice things cost money".
- As a Titanium, the gave me a free starter at Ba Ban. I could have also opted for a free dessert + mocktail.
- Char restaurant looks pretty good, but it's expensive. I have not and at those prices, will not try it.
- Within walking distance are several local restaurants, all reasonably priced. I went to Shandiz last night - a Persian place - and found it simple but tasty and decidedly affordable.
- The Royal Muscat Opera House is just across the street. More or less attached to the opera is a high-end mall with some restaurants / cafes that all look pretty good.
- Pretty much every restaurant I've stumbled across opens at 0900 for breakfast.
- All of the restaurants in the mall seem cheaper vs the W.
- There's a Fauchon (Paris) cafe near the front of the opera. Clearly this is a good place for a slice of cake but they also serve breakfast / lunch / dinner from 0900 to 2230-ish.
- I really like the hard product here at the W. It's a beautiful property inside and out.
- I find service to be fine. The room is cleaned very quickly and very well. Staff always greet / acknowledge you as you walk past.
- I tried the shoe shine service. I called (around 2100) the Whatever / Whenever line and they sent someone up right away to collect the shoes. The shoes came back, nicely polished, within an hour.
- Wifi is good throughout the hotel. I was automatically connected to "Enhanced Internet". Is that just the way it is or is it because I'm Titanium? I guess I'll never know ...
- Arranging a city tour of Muscat via the concierge was simple. He explained what we could expect then made a quick call to finalize. Tomorrow we go out to see the Sultan Qaboos Mosque, the souq (which we went to today on our own anyway), the fish market, and the National Museum all for 60 Omani Rials (3 pax, private tour).
- Taxis seem to run on flat rates. We pay 7 OMR to go to / from the hotel & the Mutrah Corniche. If you don't have cash when being dropped at the hotel, you can just have the taxi fare charged to your room. This seems to be a normal procedure.
- Restaurants I've been to accept Visa / MC and many accept AMEX. This is not a place where you need wads of cash to get by. I guess buying stuff at the souq might be different; ditto grocery stores. I'll post more as I get more into Omani life over the next few days but as a tourist, you'll be fine with your usual assortment of credit cards.

Last edited by RCyyz; Dec 23, 2022 at 12:57 pm
Old Jan 7, 2023, 5:29 am

I know it has been discussed a bit before, but thoughts on this place vs Al Bustan? Looking for outdoor shade, nice pools (would love to lap swim in the morning), and at least a decent beach. Planning to see Muscat a bit, so won't be staying on the property the entire time.

Main reasons we are asking: 1) We will arrive at 6:30-7a and would like to check in early (would use points for the night before, but it seems like any delay to the flight may trigger Marriott giving back the cert and charging full rack rate) so will reach out to the hotels to request and would be willing to pay a decent amount for it, but would like to know if one is more likely to be true to their word. 2) Both early 30s and feel W may be more our vibe. We think the Ritz could be nicer, but have stayed at luxury properties before and felt like we were 30 years below the median age.

Ritz looks a bit more dated (or maybe just more traditional design), but not sure if other aspects would make up for it. How do prices at each hotel compare for food/drinks? Looks like it would be another 7k points/night for Bustan on top of the FNCs we'd use for either, but not sure if one hotel will be decidedly more expensive than the other for incidental charges.

Only a Gold so not expecting any real elite benefits at either property.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by lowfareair
I know it has been discussed a bit before, but thoughts on this place vs Al Bustan?
I stayed at all three Marriott properties last year in Muscat.

Elite Treatment: The Ritz-Carlton offers WOW treatment to elites. I had multiple stays and was treated very well during all my visits. This included free breakfast, upgrades, free drink coupons (for each night!) etc. I got upgraded at W using my SNAs. Its nice that W allows you to use SNAs for a lot of their premium suites.

Breakfast: The breakfast is amazing at the Ritz. The breakfast at W is shockingly mediocre for a W breanded property. It wasn;t good at all.

Room Service: Room service was excellent in both the hotels. Very prompt, hospitable etc.

Rooms: W definitely is the winner their. Their suite is fantastic. The Ritz suites are very good too just that they are more dated. I also felt the view from the W suites is much better.

F&B: I definitely found the F&B slightly more expensive as compared to W but it was totally worth it. Taste, service, presentation all top-notch. W is way over-priced in F&B for what they are offering. So while F&B in W is less than F&B in Ritz, its less value-for-money as compared to the Ritz.

Location: W is more in the city vs Ritz which is cut-off from the city.

Spa: Spa at the Ritz is much better.

Pool: I think the W pool takes the edge here because I loved how their Cabanas are designed which gives everyone easy access to the water including the ones not in the front row. Note that Ritz has multiple pools. Sheraton Oman has an indoor heated pool which is perfect for your lap swims. However, that pool may be more crowded vs the pool in the W or Ritz. The old SPG website would actually give you the details of all the pools in the hotel and whether they were heated or not. I miss this feature on the Marriott website.

Finally, if you want to be in the city, easy commute to the Souk etc, I would also have you check out the Sheraton Oman. Excellent food, spa, rooms, nightly events/specials at restaurant's etc. However, no view as its a business hotel.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premiere Elite
Originally Posted by lowfareair
I know it has been discussed a bit before, but thoughts on this place vs Al Bustan? Looking for outdoor shade, nice pools (would love to lap swim in the morning), and at least a decent beach. Planning to see Muscat a bit, so won't be staying on the property the entire time.

Main reasons we are asking: 1) We will arrive at 6:30-7a and would like to check in early (would use points for the night before, but it seems like any delay to the flight may trigger Marriott giving back the cert and charging full rack rate) so will reach out to the hotels to request and would be willing to pay a decent amount for it, but would like to know if one is more likely to be true to their word. 2) Both early 30s and feel W may be more our vibe. We think the Ritz could be nicer, but have stayed at luxury properties before and felt like we were 30 years below the median age.

Ritz looks a bit more dated (or maybe just more traditional design), but not sure if other aspects would make up for it. How do prices at each hotel compare for food/drinks? Looks like it would be another 7k points/night for Bustan on top of the FNCs we'd use for either, but not sure if one hotel will be decidedly more expensive than the other for incidental charges.

Only a Gold so not expecting any real elite benefits at either property.
Hi, stayed here as a Titanium.
The Pool at W is not made for lap swimming to be honest, it is only 1,3m deep maybe. So if you do easy breast swimming, fine but if you are looking at real lap swimming it is just to shallow to do anything. Said that we also arrived very early with Oman Air flight if I recall right, however we got our room directly at check-in but it was also not full and just a few day after soft opening.

The beach in front of the hotel is public and a lot of people have a stroll there, didnt see anybody spending time there. It is also not an very attractive beach. Some people went into the water, but lets say it is not your Dubai Beachclub Beach with white sand. It is nice for a walk. Food was pricy compared to outside of course and they take themselves a bit more serious than needed, but yeah it is a 5* Property, if you need the circus around your food you also pay for it. Though we only ate inside the hotel, it was always good (only stayed 2 nights).

What I really liked at the pool area was the service, very quick and smart. You also have a lot of shaded places, so we were there during August and it was never too hot because of the sun. Be prepared for madness on Friday, the pool is open to everyone against a charge and they have a party with DJ and a lot of locals/expats getting drunk. It was still a nice atmosphere (no Mallorca/Bahamas Cruise drunks), but if you enjoy pools without parties avoid Fridays.
lowfareair likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.