Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott believes I am a professional body painter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott believes I am a professional body painter

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JBord
What I find interesting though is that it brings to life one of my fears about big data - what happens when the data on you is wrong? Can you change it? What if you never find out it's wrong?
this is one of the biggest issues with data. all the mechanisms are in place to add it but very little exists to delete or correct it.

i'd like to know how i can turn the tables and use these poorly thought out policies to my advantage. what profession, or other information on my account, could benefit me?

i know the W HK checked out my LinkedIn profile when i checked in. Would they treat me differently if I were famous? super wealthy? etc.

two can play this game.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by BenSenise
this is one of the biggest issues with data. all the mechanisms are in place to add it but very little exists to delete or correct it.

i'd like to know how i can turn the tables and use these poorly thought out policies to my advantage. what profession, or other information on my account, could benefit me?

i know the W HK checked out my LinkedIn profile when i checked in. Would they treat me differently if I were famous? super wealthy? etc.

two can play this game.
How do you know they checked your LinkedIn profile? And if you think they are looking for famous and/or super wealthy then change your profile to reflect that.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star

two can play this game.
Rodent exterminator working for the Cosa Nostra?
BenSenise likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

two can play this game.
Try MYSTERY SHOPPER.

Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Old Hickory
How do you know they checked your LinkedIn profile? And if you think they are looking for famous and/or super wealthy then change your profile to reflect that.
LinkedIn had a feature that told you who looked at your profile. I don't use LinkedIn anymore so I can't tell you if it still does. the user account that looked at my profile was clearly identified as the W Hong Kong. I would often see that recruitment agents had looked at my profile.

i have often thought about creating a fake online persona just to see how far one could take it. make a fake paris hilton or kardashian type character and see how famous they could become. i read about a guy that did that with a restaurant that he made up. didn't exist. people were desperate to get a reservation since the place was so exclusive. very funny.

i'm not against any of this and i'm not a privacy zealot. if i were, i certainly wouldn't have used LinkedIn, Facebook, et al. I write that in the past tense because i don't use so-called social media anymore because i find it to be a waste of time not because i'm concerned with privacy issues.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:49 pm

When asked for my "title" or "occupation" on airline and hotel sites, I always try various combinations of SENATOR, CONGRESSMAN, JUDGE, GENERAL, etc.
thinking it might get me upgrades for being a VIP. It never works!
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by c141heaven
When asked for my "title" or "occupation" on airline and hotel sites, I always try various combinations of SENATOR, CONGRESSMAN, JUDGE, GENERAL, etc.
The good news is that you'll get noticed next time you go through Chinese immigration.
damon88 and margarita girl like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by c141heaven
Travel Blogger works fine
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I note, however, that you have not specifically denied that you are a body painter. "Are you now, or have you ever been...."
I am not now, nor have I ever been, a body painter. I remain at a loss that Marriott/Starwood haven’t deduced my occupation at least in a broad sense considering I have used my company’s corporate code with them for about 1200 nights over the past 11 years. They might, after a time, begin to suspect I work at said company in which case occupation is easily determined. Meh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.