Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

EDITION and Design Properties - Breakfast included except for award stays?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None - previously UA

I've noticed a few European Edition & Design hotels that don't have any non breakfast included cash rates for sale, at least the dates I am looking at. Edition Bodrum is one example - there are others. But when you book with Marriott points there is no mention of breakfast and then you get an email from the property letting you know breakfast will be 25+ Euros per person. I know breakfast is excluded as a Platinum benefit at these properties but I find it a bit disingenuous of them to treat award stays in this way, is this against the program rules in any way? The bookings are in summer so its definitely peak period and rates are several hundred Euros a night, so still a good deal, but even as a Premier Platinum I feel like I may be setting up for less than stellar stay.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I know breakfast is excluded as a Platinum benefit at these properties but I find it a bit disingenuous of them to treat award stays in this way...
Why, when you know breakfast isn't a published Plat benefit at these brands?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Why, when you know breakfast isn't a published Plat benefit at these brands?
This doesn't have anything to do with Platinum benefits. The issue is the properties treat award stays differently from cash rates - they don't sell a rate not including breakfast. But when you book an award stay - what do you know - no breakfast.
RogerD408, pnt1 and paolo64 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:11 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Breakfast is not a benefit for elites at Edition, Ritz Carlton, or Design Hotels—as specified explicitly in the Marriott terms and conditions. That’s true whether you book an award stay stay or paid stay via Marriott.com. If you book via another 3rd party site or via the Design Hotel’s non-Marriott.com channels, you may find rates that include breakfast but those don’t qualify toward Marriott elite status.

Pick your poison. If that bothers you, stay elsewhere.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Breakfast is not a benefit for elites at Edition, Ritz Carlton, or Design Hotels—as specified explicitly in the Marriott terms and conditions. That’s true whether you book an award stay stay via Marriott.com. If you book via another 3rd party site or via the Design Hotel’s non-Marriott.com channels, you may find rates that include breakfast but those don’t qualify toward Marriott elite status.

Pick your poison.

My point is that on the Marriott site you can only book cash rates that include breakfast - for example the Marriott Member rate includes breakfast and every other cash rate as well. (I didn't check corporate codes) But not award stays.

So what I'm saying is if the standard rate includes breakfast - shouldn't award stays? I'm surprised this isn't a program rule.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Jan 11, 2019 at 2:37 pm
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:36 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
My point is that on the Marriott site you can only book cash rates that include breakfast - for example the Marriott Member rate includes breakfast and every other cash rate as well. (I didn't check corporate codes) But not award stays.
That’s the way it is, as provided for in the terms and conditions for those brands. Again, if you don’t like it, stay elsewhere. Or pay cash. Problem solved.
Newman likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:49 pm

Who knew that the "Most important meal of the day" would also figure as the "Most important issue on Flyertalk" by how often this issue is discussed and rehashed.
EuropeanPete and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Leisuremiles
Who knew that the "Most important meal of the day" would also figure as the "Most important issue on Flyertalk" by how often this issue is discussed and rehashed.
Agreed, the utter obsession with "free breakfast" is just mind blowing to me...

Regards
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:24 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Edition Bodrum is one example - there are others.
If you read my review in the Bodrum EDITION thread, I had free breakfast there on an award stay back in September. According to T&Cs I was not expecting anything but I was happy to get the traditional Turkish breakfast for free which was great. Other items on the menu were at an extra charge, but this was the same as paying guests.

FWIW, this property is fantastic and whether breakfast is included or not should have no bearing on anybody's decision to stay there or not.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:05 pm

This has nothing to do with elite benefits. If you were to stay at a residence inn that offers free breakfast to all cash paying guests and the residence inn said "sorry, no breakfast for you, you're on an award stay" would you be OK with this? I realize this is brand standard vs hotel standard but if breakfast is included as an amenity for all cash paying guests then excluding award guests is a very slippery slope. I get that the hotel is allowed in the T&Cs to do this, but I agree with the OP that it doesn't feel right. What next? "oh, you're on an award, you have to pay extra for the pool"
RogerD408 and gojko88 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by boolean64
This has nothing to do with elite benefits. If you were to stay at a residence inn that offers free breakfast to all cash paying guests and the residence inn said "sorry, no breakfast for you, you're on an award stay" would you be OK with this? I realize this is brand standard vs hotel standard but if breakfast is included as an amenity for all cash paying guests then excluding award guests is a very slippery slope. I get that the hotel is allowed in the T&Cs to do this, but I agree with the OP that it doesn't feel right. What next? "oh, you're on an award, you have to pay extra for the pool"
Correct me if I am wrong, but EDITION and Design hotels do not offer breakfast for Platinum guests, and it is a different issue for Residence Inn. So if I show up at EDITION I do not expect breakfast on an award stay. If they offer it to me, great I am happy and I will note it in my review. If they do not, I will note it as well but I won't complain since it is their prerogative to deny me breakfast. For Residence Inn they offer free breakfast to all guests so it's a different issue, is it not? So if I was denied breakfast at Residence Inn my reaction would not be the same. If my understanding of the rules is off I am more than happy to reset my expectations.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP

So what I'm saying is if the standard rate includes breakfast - shouldn't award stays? I'm surprised this isn't a program rule.
It's an interesting (and fair) question in light of the uproar over the cash versus points treatment at Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

That’s the way it is, as provided for in the terms and conditions for those brands. Again, if you don’t like it, stay elsewhere. Or pay cash. Problem solved.
First look at Al Maha Dubai posts and OP make this same case here. I receive your messages more and more arrogant towards others

Last edited by HHQX888; Jan 11, 2019 at 4:39 pm
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by dgreen12
It's an interesting (and fair) question in light of the uproar over the cash versus points treatment at Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai.
Sounds like it was only a short-term issue, award bookings at Al Maha get breakfast as expected after all. So not getting breakfast at EDITION remains fair although some properties will give it to you regardless of rules.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dgreen12
It's an interesting (and fair) question in light of the uproar over the cash versus points treatment at Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai
Exactly. It's directly analogous.
Originally Posted by escape4
Sounds like it was only a short-term issue, award bookings at Al Maha get breakfast as expected after all.
Because Marriott declared they had to treat award stays the same as paid. In other words, they stopped the property from the same practice that OP is complaining about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.