Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Auberge du Vin, Mendoza Argentina - Tribute - Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum

Considering 4 nights here in April. Some have said best Tribute ever. Some have said "only do it for a night". Would love advice from the forum!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Check the Argentina destination forum. IIRC this hotel has been discussed there, although I suspect that it may have been flagged as a Tribute more recently. You might also want to ask Gauchk1K for his opinion of the place as I believe that some of his clients have stayed here during Mendoza wine trips.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Check the Argentina destination forum. IIRC this hotel has been discussed there, although I suspect that it may have been flagged as a Tribute more recently. You might also want to ask Gauchk1K for his opinion of the place as I believe that some of his clients have stayed here during Mendoza wine trips.
Think that's supposed to be Gaucho1K? (aka, o & not a k before 1K).

Cheers.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:46 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
A good 90 min south of Mendoza/good hr south of best wineries

Having been to Mendoza previously, just be aware that this property is a good 90 min drive south of the city proper of Mendoza and a good 45 min - 1 hr or so south of the best vineyards and wineries in the area (largely around Lujan de Cuyo).
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:35 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I believe I did write a quick report of this property ~2 years ago somewhere on the forum. Quick summary:
- it is a unique location as in right in the middle of the wineyards (working one)
- limited number of rooms so it is quite private to a certain extend
- there is nothing much around the area and you will need a car to get to the property (or use their paid shuttle) - if you are going by yourself, it is not the easiest to find (they could have improved the signage) and part of the road is unpaved - but no need for a 4x4 - just that travelling after dark might not be so pleasant
- there is a small town/village close by (I can't remember the name), quiet but not boring.
- friendly staff and normal Elite benefits applies as per the rules - I believe I received also an additional welcome gift.

I would say >2 nights might be too much - unless you are really looking for a place to chill out and relax.

Cheers!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the OP has Glob status with Hyatt, has he/she considered the PH in Mendoza?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
If the OP has Glob status with Hyatt, has he/she considered the PH in Mendoza?
8 days in Mendoza total. so 5 at Auberge, and 3 at PH is the current plan.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by shuuy
8 days in Mendoza total. so 5 at Auberge, and 3 at PH is the current plan.
My instinct would be to reverse that.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I'm curious to know what the wine region of Argentina is like compared to say Napa Valley or even France when it comes to wine tourism and good hotels. It sounds like this property is kind of limited. I mean, it's tough to visit wineries if you have to worry about driving back to your hotel all the time.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:20 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'm curious to know what the wine region of Argentina is like compared to say Napa Valley or even France when it comes to wine tourism and good hotels. It sounds like this property is kind of limited. I mean, it's tough to visit wineries if you have to worry about driving back to your hotel all the time.
Mendoza is a wonderful wine region, much flatter than Napa (more like Bordeaux). There are many excellent, even world class, wineries with amazing tasting rooms/centers, many of which will blow you away with how dramatic their buildings are. There also are a host of wonderful hotels, inns, and B&Bs. While the PH Mendoza is nice, and Auberge is available, there also are world class properties like Cavas Wine Lodge (one of our all-time favorite hotels), Vines of Mendoza, Entre de Cielos, and Casa de UCo Resort.

We stayed 3 nights at Cavas in 2006 and loved it. The whole area is spectacular, often with amazing views of the Andes in the distance. It’s also just a 1 hr flight from Mendoza to Santiago. The wineries obviously specialize in Malbec, but you’ll also find some Cabernet, Pinot, Merlot, and even Chardonnay. But the big reds take the cake.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Mendoza is a wonderful wine region, much flatter than Napa (more like Bordeaux). There are many excellent, even world class, wineries with amazing tasting rooms/centers, many of which will blow you away with how dramatic their buildings are. There also are a host of wonderful hotels, inns, and B&Bs. While the PH Mendoza is nice, and Auberge is available, there also are world class properties like Cavas Wine Lodge (one of our all-time favorite hotels), Vines of Mendoza, Entre de Cielos, and Casa de UCo Resort.

We stayed 3 nights at Cavas in 2006 and loved it. The whole area is spectacular, often with amazing views of the Andes in the distance. It’s also just a 1 hr flight from Mendoza to Santiago. The wineries obviously specialize in Malbec, but you’ll also find some Cabernet, Pinot, Merlot, and even Chardonnay. But the big reds take the cake.
What are the prices like in Argentina? Spain and Portugal are so cheap. France not so much. Mexico cheaper -- and some of the best wine I've ever had was from the oldest winery in North America, which is in Mexico (1588).
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:35 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

What are the prices like in Argentina? Spain and Portugal are so cheap. France not so much. Mexico cheaper -- and some of the best wine I've ever had was from the oldest winery in North America, which is in Mexico (1588).
With the Argentine economy in the hole, it’s crazy cheap for almost everyone. When we went, it was a very affordable 3 peso to the dollar; now it’s an unbelievable 37 pesos to the dollar.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:35 pm

As of a couple months ago (not 2006), generally extremely cheap in dollars for anything paid in local currency, although foreigners who pay with foreign credit cards are exempt from "value added" tax on hotel rooms, IIRC normally 21%.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhrubin

With the Argentine economy in the hole, it’s crazy cheap for almost everyone. When we went, it was a very affordable 3 peso to the dollar; now it’s an unbelievable 37 pesos to the dollar.
As of a couple months ago (not 2006), generally extremely cheap in dollars for anything paid in local currency, although foreigners who pay with foreign credit cards are exempt from "value added" tax on hotel rooms, IIRC normally 21%.
Like how cheap is cheap?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:50 pm

You can eat dinner in one of the casual steak houses including lots of rather good wine from Argentina for about $30 including tax and tip, although the fancy luxury restaurants are more expensive. Most taxi rides in the city are only a couple dollars, again including tip.

There are some surprisingly good sparkling white wines in the $10-$20 per bottle range, and for about $30 it's comparable to quite good French champagne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.