Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Upgrade policy T&Cs - hotel choosing not to upgrade to suites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade policy T&Cs - hotel choosing not to upgrade to suites?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
What's the point of posting if one doesn't name property?

And why would anyone stay at a property frequently that one accuses of flaunting loyalty program rules and is so mad to take to message boards when, as posted here, many properties in Sydney do indeed upgrade?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by SHLTP
What's the point of posting if one doesn't name property?

And why would anyone stay at a property frequently that one accuses of flaunting loyalty program rules and is so mad to take to message boards when, as posted here, many properties in Sydney do indeed upgrade?
I'm not "so mad", I'm seeking clarification of the policy. I stay at this property and several others in Sydney, all frequently.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by ftaus
I'm not "so mad", I'm seeking clarification of the policy. I stay at this property and several others in Sydney, all frequently.
Interesting mix of ambassador service. 402/Omaha is legacy Marriott while Singapore is legacy SPG.

We know the policy.is that suite upgrades are available.

Sometimes, an individual FD agent just doesn't know but while I haven't stayed 20 times at the Sydney Marriott, I'm 100 percent on suite upgrades there with several stays -- all of which were shorter than three days. It's covered by the Marriott APAC Suite upgrade.

This only leaves one the Pier property and without confirming that, we can't really comment whether your situation is isolated with bad info/bad luck
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Sometimes, an individual FD agent just doesn't know but while I haven't stayed 20 times at the Sydney Marriott, I'm 100 percent on suite upgrades there with several stays -- all of which were shorter than three days. It's covered by the Marriott APAC Suite upgrade.
Presumably, the lack of legacy Marriott and legacy Starwood hotels in Australia would also mean there aren't nearly as many elites as in other markets.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Unlike the generic offer that refers to "standard suites," Marriott's Asia Pacific policy covers most suite types. Since standard suites are defined by the hotel, it is difficult for a guest to assert that he or she was unfairly denied one unless the hotel acts as the JW Marriott Guanacoste did. Since suites upgrades are quite common in Asia, this policy is not as valuable as it would be elsewhere.

"Complimentary Suite Upgrade: Generally, based on availability at check-in; in some cases, availability is determined later in the day. Limited to a Member’s personal guestroom. Upgrades include most available suite types, except Presidential Suites, Chairman Suites and other signature suites. For stays greater than 3 nights, suite upgrades are subject to the hotel’s discretion."
C17PSGR and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Presumably, the lack of legacy Marriott and legacy Starwood hotels in Australia would also mean there aren't nearly as many elites as in other markets.

Yes but .... it might also mean that repeat guests are more valuable to a property than elites. For example, someone from Melbourne visiting Sidney a couple of times a month might be more valuable to the hotel than a PPE traveling to Sidney once a year. I don't begrudge hotels treating repeat guests well.

All that being said, this thread is much ado about nothing unless the OP gives more info.

Of course, I know there are some hotels who designated 1 or 2 suites as "standard" suites while others treated this definition very differently and give good upgrades. My identifying those properties -- we can help other FTers!
bhrubin and rny321 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:50 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ftaus
I'd prefer not to name the property publicly as I stay there regularly. However, happy to provide via PM to an SPG/Marriott lurker if they're interested in addressing it. I will say that it's a main brand, which narrows it to 2-3 properties.

The main reason I posted this thread is to question the policy, as it feels like a slippery slope if hotels start restricting the upgrade pools (outside of hotels with "all suites" or only limited numbers of specialty suites).

To confirm/answer a few other details:
- The ambassador who answered my emails is based in Nebraska (402 area code). My ambassador is Singapore based.
- This hotel has a number of suite types available for SNA redemption.
As I stated in another thread, I have trouble finding credibility with:

(1) FlyerTalk members with few posts making sweeping pronouncements or accusations. Here we have someone with less than 10 posts on FlyerTalk suddenly questioning an unnamed hotel’s suite upgrade policy. Sorry, but I need more to establish credibility.

(2) FlyerTalk members who do not identify the hotel in question. Here we have someone unwilling to identify the hotel, yet more than willing to identify their version of a problem. That’s a problem for me. Name the hotel so we can evaluate. Or it’s all just rhetorical tomfoolery to me.

(3) FlyerTalk members who believe they are entitled to suite upgrades regardless of high hotel occupancy. Here we know nothing about the hotel or its occupancy for the OP’s stays. Curious. Doesn’t make for a credible claim to me.

(4) FlyerTalk members who don’t understand the very obvious and simple precept that hotels with a tiny proportion of suites won’t often upgrade to suites. Of course, we don’t even know which hotel we’re taking about. We only know that the hotel’s SNA pool includes at least some suites.

To the OP, welcome to FlyerTalk! We are happy to have you join the conversation. That being said, we are an extremely experienced audience that have a lot of perspective that you may not yet have.

The OP is entitled to share whatever information he or she chooses, just as we are entitled to know and ask for more information before jumping to or drawing any conclusions. Thus far, I’m not at all convinced that there is any problem at all other than a disgruntled OP who stays at high occupancy times at a hotel with few suites and rightfully doesn’t get upgraded.

There is no slippery slope. There only is a disgruntled OP who isn’t getting what he wants for reasons that aren’t remotely clear because the OP chooses to not share more.

In the absence of better information, the OP is advised to stay elsewhere. Problem solved.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 8, 2019 at 9:58 am
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:13 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

For the record, hotels in Sydney:

Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park, 510 rooms, 48 suites, 8.6% suites
Westin Sydney, 397 rooms, 19 suites, 4.6% suites
Pier One Sydney Harbour, 171 rooms, 18 suites, 9.5% suites
Sydney Harbour Marriott Circular Quay, 543 rooms. 52 suites, 8.7% suites
Old Clare Sydney, 45 rooms, 17 suites, 27% suites
Four Points Sydney Central Park, 252 rooms. 45 suites, 15% suites
Courtyard Sydney North Ryde. 188 rooms, 8 suites, 4.1% suites

We can assume that over half of any hotel’s suites are not going to be eligible for Platinum upgrades or SNAs. Perhaps even as high as 3/4. When you recognize that basic fact, it’s obvious that getting a suite upgrade at hotels with fewer than 10% suites is going to be challenging. And that assumes low occupancy. At higher occupancy, more suites may be outright booked, and there will be more competition for higher room bookings and elites to get upgraded into such a small number of suites. The numbers don’t lie.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:31 am

A focus on naming the property draws attention away from what is the bigger issue...that an ambassador seems quite ok with the idea that hotels don't have to offer any suites as part of the upgrade pool. That to me is much much bigger than finding out which property this is.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by boolean64
A focus on naming the property draws attention away from what is the bigger issue...that an ambassador seems quite ok with the idea that hotels don't have to offer any suites as part of the upgrade pool. That to me is much much bigger than finding out which property this is.
Actually, identifying the hotel allows us to judge for ourselves whether the OP’s reporting of what the Ambassdor said is actually credible or not. We don’t actually know whether or not the OP’s impression of what the Ambassador said or didn’t say is accurate or credible.

You are making the mistake of assuming that the OP’s impression is accurate. People often hear what they want to hear and often put words in others’ mouths. It happens here despite written responses. It is vastly more common when reporting hearsay. There’s a reason that hearsay isn’t admisisble in courts. This is nothing but hearsay.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
For the record, hotels in Sydney:

Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park, 510 rooms, 48 suites, 8.6% suites
Westin Sydney, 397 rooms, 19 suites, 4.6% suites
Pier One Sydney Harbour, 171 rooms, 18 suites, 9.5% suites
Sydney Harbour Marriott Circular Quay, 543 rooms. 52 suites, 8.7% suites
Old Clare Sydney, 45 rooms, 17 suites, 27% suites
Four Points Sydney Central Park, 252 rooms. 45 suites, 15% suites
Courtyard Sydney North Ryde. 188 rooms, 8 suites, 4.1% suites

We can assume that over half of any hotel’s suites are not going to be eligible for Platinum upgrades or SNAs. Perhaps even as high as 3/4. When you recognize that basic fact, it’s obvious that getting a suite upgrade at hotels with fewer than 10% suites is going to be challenging. And that assumes low occupancy. At higher occupancy, more suites may be outright booked, and there will be more competition for higher room bookings and elites to get upgraded into such a small number of suites. The numbers don’t lie.
I'm forgetting about other places I've stayed in Sydney. I am zero percent at the CY North Ryde with three stays.

Originally Posted by boolean64
Valid point ... but I'd like more context.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by rny321
Unlike the generic offer that refers to "standard suites," Marriott's Asia Pacific policy covers most suite types. Since standard suites are defined by the hotel, it is difficult for a guest to assert that he or she was unfairly denied one unless the hotel acts as the JW Marriott Guanacoste did.
Actually, suite upgrades being limited to a "standard" or "select" suite is a myth under the terms of the new, unified loyalty program. Yes, there may be properties who claim that's the policy, but Marriott removed the language that previously limited a suite upgrade to basic, entry-level suites.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:22 am
Suspended

Marriott Terms and Condition overrule all...

Marriott terms and conditions with regard to Complimentary Platinum Enhanced Room Upgrades:

Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members. Platinum Elite Members receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors. At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Platinum Premier Members and rooms with direct Club access are excluded. Enhanced Room Upgrades are subject to availability and are identified by each Participating Property.
Each property identifies its own room and suite upgrade pool. With Marriott guidance, but still at each property’s discretion.

Yet the spirit of Marriott’s terms and conditions, as revealed by Marriott correcting the JW Guanacaste’s lack of Platinum suite inventory and Marriott’s clear indication of that spirit, is clearly intended to include at least the base/entry level suites (previously known as standard or select suites)—at least for properties that have a substantial inventory of suites.

So while the terms and conditions do not specify standard or select suites, we know that hotels certainly have a pool of standard or select suites that they can, at their discretion, include in their Platinum upgrade pool (which generally would and should match their SNA pool).

The spirit of the new Marriott program is exactly the same spirit as that of SPG. SPG terms similar gave discretion to hotels, especially those that had few suites.

If you don’t like the Platinum upgrade pool at certain hotels, you have the ability to choose to stay elsewhere. If you continue to stay at the same hotels knowing it doesn’t include many (or any) even entry level suites in its Platinum upgrade pool, then there is no need to complain.
rny321 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Actually, suite upgrades being limited to a "standard" or "select" suite is a myth under the terms of the new, unified loyalty program. Yes, there may be properties who claim that's the policy, but Marriott removed the language that previously limited a suite upgrade to basic, entry-level suites.
Since the term "select suites" is still listed on Marriott's website, I wouldn't consider it a myth. Also, brand standards are intended as minimum benefits and hotels are rarely prohibited from exceeding them.

Member Benefits
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:34 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by boolean64; Jan 8, 2019 at 2:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.