Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by rny321
Although it isn't to my knowledge an advertised option, Hyatt has in the past offered 10K in points for an unused Cat 4 or 15K certificate.
Yes, in the distant past.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm to the point where I seriously hope that these changes, combined with over a year of a dysfunctional website and crap customer service, is going to substantially hurt Marriott's loyalty base and revenue.
UA-NYC and 3rdworldresident like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just wait until the 'peak' levels come out and it ends up being half the year for many hotels... meaning significant increases on top of the two increases in the past year.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I’ve just called in and have been told that if you don’t attach the e-certificate to a redemption stay before 5th March and the hotel category goes up, you have to pay more points. This is ridiculous as it defeats the whole purpose of having the points advance option.

ThePointsGuy said Marriott will honour points advance bookings at the original rate:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/marri...CPVSmAxVp68VqA

Can the lurkers confirm this?

Thanks.
svo242 and MrM2016 like this.

Last edited by yorkboy24; Feb 22, 2019 at 3:13 am
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Does anyone know if the “demand of award rooms” is only based on completed reservations? For example, I wonder if a lot of people made reservations in advance of the start of peak pricing, which caused Marriott to say that more properties warranted an increase in category that maybe otherwise wouldn’t have?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I’ve just called in and have been told that if you don’t attach the e-certificate to a redemption stay before 5th March and the hotel category goes up, you have to pay more points. This is ridiculous as it defeats the whole purpose of having the points advance option.

ThePointsGuy said Marriott will honour points advance bookings at the original rate:

Thanks.
I always expect this from Marriott. Never trusted them since day 1.
UA-NYC and xexs like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
I always expect this from Marriott. Never trusted them since day 1.
I’m surprised thousands of members haven’t queried this because I’m sure many have several redemption reservations, sometimes for similar periods because they haven’t decided which stay yet. Even if members have the required points in their accounts for them, as things stand, they’ll need to pay Category 8 rates if they don’t proactively convert them into an e-certificate before 5th March. For those who booked a redemption award using the points advance feature but they don’t have enough points (I’m one of them), we’ll have to somehow find the missing points (sometimes buying them is the only possibility as short notice if not in US).

I have asked the lurkers to clarify so hopefully we’ll hear something in the next week. There are conflicting policies depending on who you talk to so at the very least, if current rates will be honoured, staff need to be clearly informed of the policy. I’m just surprised not many members are worried about this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

Thanks.
I called in yeaterday to transfer some points to Mr, Fink for a PA booking at a hotel that is moving up a category. As I could only transfer 100k, he still needs more and will have them at the end of March, so after the category change. I specifically asked if the current rate would be honored after March 5. She put me on hold and confirmed that whatever was on my confirmation email would be honored.

I, too, am dubious and will transfer some Chase points if I have to but would obviously rather wait. So really hoping @Starwood Lurker or another Bonvoy rep on here will give us definitive confirmation that PA bookings will be honored at the current rates after March 5.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
She put me on hold and confirmed that whatever was on my confirmation email would be honored
That’s the thing - I don’t think we get confirmation emails for reward bookings when points aren’t taken points advance). I followed the inductions on ThePointsGuy and sent myself an email showing the current points rate I booked. If it’s just in your account it might automatically increase the number of points there from 5th March. If I were you I’d get a confirmation email sent to yourself.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

That’s the thing - I don’t think we get confirmation emails for reward bookings when points aren’t taken points advance). I followed the inductions on ThePointsGuy and sent myself an email showing the current points rate I booked. If it’s just in your account it might automatically increase the number of points there from 5th March. If I were you I’d get a confirmation email sent to yourself.
I have always gotten confirmation emails for PA bookings. For this one, I booked it on January 24 and I received the confirmation email within 10 minutes. It shows the rate (- beside the first night and 50k beside each of the other four nights) and the text in the attached photo saying I had to order the e-certificate no later than 48 hours prior to arrival. But I still don’t trust that it will be honored after the category increase and would like to see it confirmed by one the Lurkers.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:12 pm

I have always gotten confirmation emails for PA bookings. For this one, I booked it on January 24 and I received the confirmation email within 10 minutes. It shows the rate (- beside the first night and 50k beside each of the other four nights) and the text in the attached photo saying I had to order the e-certificate no later than 48 hours prior to arrival. But I still don’t trust that it will be honored after the category increase and would like to see it confirmed by one the Lurkers.
You’re lucky! I only get email confirmations for Point Advance bookings when I cancel them!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I have always gotten confirmation emails for PA bookings.
I want to know your secret! I've done well over a dozen PA bookings and have never received a confirmation email. I trust you don't mean that you emailed it to yourself, as I've done that.

Do you make your reservations on the app per chance (judging by your screenshot)? I never do as I prefer to work from a laptop. Is that what I'm doing wrong?

You’re lucky! I only get email confirmations for Point Advance bookings when I cancel them!

And I don't get any of those either! I canceled a PA reservation today and no confirmation was received.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I want to know your secret! I've done well over a dozen PA bookings and have never received a confirmation email. I trust you don't mean that you emailed it to yourself, as I've done that.
No, the confirmation came automatically just as if it was a paid reservation. However, I did just email it to myself again yesterday just to be safe, lol. But the original emailed confirmation came automatically about 10 minutes after I made the PA res.

Do you make your reservations on the app per chance (judging by your screenshot)? I never do as I prefer to work from a laptop. Is that what I'm doing wrong?
No, in a browser. It is on an ipad but using Safari, not the app. I never use the app.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I don't get any of those either! I canceled a PA reservation today and no confirmation was received.
I dont get any email confirmation on PA booking nor at cancellation of them!

I do email myself the booking and also take screenshot with the cancellation number when I cancel them.

I too, would love to learn about the secret steps to get those emails!
Counsellor likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I dont get any email confirmation on PA booking nor at cancellation of them!

I do email myself the booking and also take screenshot with the cancellation number when I cancel them.

I too, would love to learn about the secret steps to get those emails!
I guess I can count myself as being half lucky then for getting the cancellation confirmation for these reward bookings. I used the mobile version for reward bookings in the past. I wanted to use the App but when it was the Marriott App, not a single points option would show. Now it's all fixed on the Bonvoy app.

Last edited by yorkboy24; Feb 24, 2019 at 6:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.