Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Spouses were sharing account - how to proceed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite

I am not really a Marriott person, so I am hoping I can get some ideas on how to deal with this situation.

I have a friend who travels regularly and books rooms for many others. He has told me that he always uses his wife's account, so she can get the points and use them. He said he gets the points from the stays he books for others (other employees of his company that are staying in the same hotel at the same time as him, he is paying with his card for all stays), unless they add their MR# to their room. His wife is currently Platinum, because of his stays. She has a few stays a year.

They are getting a divorce and he is trying to figure out a plan forward. She has all the points, and he has no issue with that. What he will miss is the Plat status. It sounds like he should never have used her account and should have always had his own and therefore his own status, but unfortunately it is what it is.

Does anyone have any ideas of what he can do to possibly get status before he would naturally earn it later this year? Would calling Marriott help at all, or would that just open up a can of worms and possibly cause issues for his ex? Does Marriott offer a challenge/fast track?

Also, I know that with SPG you could get elite night credit for 2 rooms that you booked per night. Is Marriott adopting that? I have no idea yet (have not been able to get with him to view the details of his account and he has no firm details, just what he thinks) if he actually is getting points/elite credits for the other rooms he is booking (5-12 rooms I think), but wanted to see if there is some way he can get more credit for it.

I tried to do a bit of searching, but am just not finding enough. I am hoping some here can shed some light and help me out.

Thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I'm surprised that he was able to use the spouse's account. Typically, they check the ID of the person holding the credit card to pay for the room at check in. It was against program rules for him to use the spouse's account.

The best advice I can offer is to have him to set up his own account on Marriott.com. If he wants to spread some good will, in the past, Marriott has offered bonus points to both existing members who refer new people to Marriott, and the new member. I don't know what the status of that bonus is in the new program, though.

Finally, he should call Marriott and ask for a platinum challenge. That would be the fastest way to get platinum with a new account.

edited to add: No, you can't get 2 elite credits for 2 rooms on the same night under the new program. You can get points for both rooms, though.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by jeanie; Jan 1, 2019 at 11:21 pm
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Thank you for the info!

I was also surprised when he told me what he had done. I guess he has never had any issue, and has a decent amount of stays, virtually all of them without her. He always used his credit card, I think, and it was listed on the account, which he has now deleted.

He will be setting up his own account. That is a great idea about the bonus points. I will try to see if there is anything and he can use my info so I get a few points.

Good to know that Marriott will do a challenge. I will have him call.

Thanks again for all the info! Hopefully someone else will be along with a few other answers.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:31 pm

It doesn't surprise me that much. I have booked point reservations from my account for co-workers under their name (calling in) when it was beneficial (at category 1 & 2 hotels especially) , and regardless of them showing their membership card or not, the credits would go to me. I have never done this with a cash reservation though, so that's a new one for me.

I think the Platinum challenge is one level up from current level still, so my recommendation would be to get a credit card that gives gold status, then call in for a platinum challenge, as long as he can reach the nights.

Otherwise, I wouldn't contact Marriott as both members could be booted from the program in theory... Not sure in practice but best not to risk it
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by JenniferNAz
He will be setting up his own account. That is a great idea about the bonus points. I will try to see if there is anything and he can use my info so I get a few points.
There should be 2 options - you refer and you both get 2k per stay up to 10k, or he signs up directly through a link where he stays twice and gets a free night The free night is better for him, obviously you get nothing out of it though!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Joeags-

Thanks for the info.

Have you ever gotten more than 1 credit/points per night?

That is good to know about the one night. Not sure he wants the credit card, working to find the right balance for him, but I will keep that in mind. And maybe not do the challenge till he has gotten some nights in. I think he has quite a few planned for the next few months.

I was worried about calling in, I didn't want to screw anything up for either of them. Good advice.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joeags
There should be 2 options - you refer and you both get 2k per stay up to 10k, or he signs up directly through a link where he stays twice and gets a free night The free night is better for him, obviously you get nothing out of it though!
I found the points link, but I don't see the free night. Do you happen to have a link or more info? That would be better for him, and I am good with that.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I was worried about calling in, I didn't want to screw anything up for either of them. Good advice.

Thanks again!
If he were to call in, he should only discuss his new account. That should be fine. There is no reason to bring up the ex's account, anyway.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
He can get 10 nights credit when booking a meeting. He can research that option on the Marriott website.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Hmm

So many people post here for their “friends”.

So hypothetical.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by JBauer
So many people post here for their “friends”.

So hypothetical.
Can you ask your "friends" why people started doing that?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:12 am

I found the points link, but I don't see the free night. Do you happen to have a link or more info? That would be better for him, and I am good with that.
https://www.joinmarriottrewards.com/freenight16/
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Here's the free night link, JenniferNAz:
https://www.joinmarriottrewards.com/freenight16/

Looks like 25K points after two stays by the end of May.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the link, daloosh and Hhonors outsider. I think this is the best option for him.

Jbauer - I am a bit unsure if you are thinking I am lying about being a friend or what? Since I am single and female, I am obviously not the one I am posting about. You can see I have been a member for many years but I am guessing this is my first post to Marriott, as I really don't stay at Marriott properties. I am sorry you felt my post was hypothetical.

Thanks to all who have given information/links/details. This has been very helpful. I knew flyertalk was the place to come ask!

My friend will be signing up for his own account soon, will look at challenge options, and will sign up for the free night after 2 stays.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:35 am

I feel like there was a scene about this in Wedding Crashers...

On topic, if you book a room for someone else at the same hotel you don't get "double nights" credits. MR assumes you can only stay in 1 room at a time. You'll only get points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.