Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel excluding suites from upgrades (JW Guanacasta Costa Rica)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel excluding suites from upgrades (JW Guanacasta Costa Rica)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by beachfan
Add JW Marriott Grand Lakes to properties violating T&Cs. Will only give a Titanium member a one category upgrade in spite of suites being available. Offered for $150/nights but even after speaking to front desk manager, not complimentary per their policy since I already recieved my one category upgrade.

well see if the twitter team will do anything.

Where is Grand Lakes? Can you de-camp to another hotel?
Old May 13, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Where is Grand Lakes? Can you de-camp to another hotel?
Orlando (thanks for pointing out my omission, I edited my post above).

I have a business event here so not practical, but also not as important for me as it would be on a leisure stay.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Heard back from the twitter team, not all that helpful. They said a hospitality suite wasn’t available (probably true) and that’s the only suite eligible for complimentary upgrades.

Didn't address the fact that the hotel said I wouldn’t be eligible even if one was available because a) they don’t do two category upgrades and b)because I’m on a group rate (this was a hotel management response)

went back and forth with them twice and have given up. Just don’t expect a two category upgrade without SNAs at this hotel.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:25 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
Add JW Marriott Grand Lakes Orlando to properties violating T&Cs. Will only give a Titanium member a one category upgrade in spite of suites being available.
Interesting, the last time I stayed there, Dec. 2017), I was upgraded to a very large Grand suite on a 7 night award stay. So either they have changed their rules on upgrades or you had a "rouge" manager/front desk agent.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:27 am

One level up

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Interesting, the last time I stayed there, Dec. 2017), I was upgraded to a very large Grand suite on a 7 night award stay. So either they have changed their rules on upgrades or you had a "rouge" manager/front desk agent.
Sorry but rumors told, that this is new Marriott policy about upgrades.
Coroprate will contact hotel if they don't upgrade you one level up all upgrade above one level they don't care this is in hotel decision.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by HHQX888
Coroprate will contact hotel if they don't upgrade you one level up all upgrade above one level they don't care this is in hotel decision.
Honestly, a bit hard to believe as the current t&c and also elite benefit table show upgrade to the best available room including select suite.

If Marriott wish to change their policy, they should update the t&c accordingly.
(and risk more people upset about Bonvoy)

Then again, how corporate know that hotel didnt upgrade member? does member have to reporting every stays that not upgraded?
Can imagine the man hour required to check and respond to the reports.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:02 am

@kaizen7 : I know what was written in SPG upgrade T&C and know which words are used in new Bonvoy upgrade T&C but behind the curtains looks different.
If you look at forum we have post that show steps or answers of hotel which are different form T&C and look like they know they have corporate umbrella and don't care guest claims.
In the past SPG take care if you have only one level upgrade now Marriott don't care if you have one level from 'city view' to 'see view' change and corner roms or suites are available at checkin.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
@kaizen7 : I know what was written in SPG upgrade T&C and know which words are used in new Bonvoy upgrade T&C but behind the curtains looks different.
If you look at forum we have post that show steps or answers of hotel which are different form T&C and look like they know they have corporate umbrella and don't care guest claims.
In the past SPG take care if you have only one level upgrade now Marriott don't care if you have one level from 'city view' to 'see view' change and corner roms or suites are available at checkin.
In general, the hotels that are not following the program are resorts n Mexico and Central America.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
In general, the hotels that are not following the program are resorts n Mexico and Central America.
Agreed. i was just reading the breakfast thread. Mexico resorts seem woefully short on this benefit.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:15 am

Just back from Kuala Lumpur and next hidden marriott policy is if you have standard room w/o brakfast and you are upgraded to club room you don't have lounge access or to suite with breakfast standard in rate you don't have this breakfast from suite benefit you must choose your member benefit to have breakfast.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just back from Kuala Lumpur and next hidden marriott policy is if you have standard room w/o brakfast and you are upgraded to club room you don't have lounge access or to suite with breakfast standard in rate you don't have this breakfast from suite benefit you must choose your member benefit to have breakfast.
I think you are confusing policies implemented by individual properties with overall Bonvoy program terms and conditions. They are not the same thing.
C17PSGR and kaizen7 like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Barcelona Edition maintains this is the correct policy and when I asked my Ambassador to confirm they are wrong he bounced it up to corporate who have now spent over 3 months not responding to him... Even if it’s not in principle a new policy, it is a terrible least partially in place in practice.

It’s not like the Ambassador supervisory corporate liaison team is some random Residence Inn front desk manager.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think you are confusing policies implemented by individual properties with overall Bonvoy program terms and conditions. They are not the same thing.
The change in policy for former SPGers is that points rooms used to have to come with the same benefits as available to all cash bookings, but this is no longer the case for Marriott. Obviously hotels are always welcome to go above and beyond the programme.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

The Barcelona Edition maintains this is the correct policy and when I asked my Ambassador to confirm they are wrong he bounced it up to corporate who have now spent over 3 months not responding to him... Even if it’s not in principle a new policy, it is a terrible least partially in place in practice.

It’s not like the Ambassador supervisory corporate liaison team is some random Residence Inn front desk manager.
This should be so easy ....

But, outside of Mexico, I am routinely getting suite upgrades.when they are available including in the US, Europe, Middle East, Australia, and South America. Obviously, there are some exceptions and part of my luck may be that I am avoiding hotels that cheat. On other times, I recognize when hotels are being honest and aren't simultaneously selling suites while claiming they don't have it.

I do appreciate it when FTer's push it at properties like the Barcelona Edition.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
part of my luck may be that I am avoiding hotels that cheat.
That's really the key these days. Or if you do pick a property that's known to cheat, reduce expectations accordingly.

Many will have less flexibility in booking though, and for them the increased incidence of cheating really sucks.
C17PSGR and EuropeanPete like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.