Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott taking points back even though I was assaulted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

I had an incident at a Marriott property where I was assualted by the security guard there. I have been asking for a response from Marriott corporate for 2 months now and I get no follow up when I have been promised thay each time I call (probably 8 total times now). Each time I call customer care Im told the hotel manager and a senior corporate manager would contqct me as well.

Nothing has happened and just yesterday I had the reward credits that were given taken away and my accoumt put into audit for rewards fraud. I dont see how this is fraud when Marriott customer care gave me the reward points. Also Im wondering if this was retalliatory for my persistence in trying to get issue resolution by speaking to senior management.

If someone knows how to navigate Marriott senior corporate, it would be great to know. I would much rather solve with Marriott senior management as that is what I have been asking for since day 1.

Any suggestions?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Can we assume there's a police report about you being assaulted? What does their investigation conclude?
SPN Lifer, Newman, Often1 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:52 pm

This seems like a legal matter far above any rewards points. If it’s legitimate.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:02 pm

Makes sense... by giving you points there could be an admission of guilt. I wouldn’t respond if I was Marriott either before the legal team could review anything sent. Potential lawsuit if you were truly assualted. CYA by Marriott.
RTWFF, Newman and JackE like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:26 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Don't worry about the points. Go legal on them.

Or google Marriott upper level management. Chris Elliot(t?) probably has contact info on his site.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
This is way beyond points. Did you ask for them or were they freely offered? Nonetheless, I would be pursuing the legal angle, but if no police were previously involved then this is a no win for you.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Assuming that the police were involved, stop calling. Find a friend whose first name is "Attorney" and have him/her get in touch with Marriott by mail, not by phone. And let them keep the points. Again, assuming that the police were involved, you (or your friend on your behalf) should be looking for cash. Depending on the nature of the assault, anywhere from a few thousand dollars to a few tens of thousands. More, of course, in the unfortunate circumstance that you required hospitalization or suffer any lingering effects.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uclabruins
..... from Marriott corporate for 2 months now and I get no follow up when I have been promised they each time I call (probably 8 total times now).
What is in writing? Written police report? Phone call = nothing.
Newman likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 21, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
just wondering could you tell us how you were assualted
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Appreciate the help

I dont want to put more details on here about what happened yet until there is resolution but I appreciate all the responses for outside opinions. Needed those so thank you.

Im just dumbstruck at Marriotts response considering Im PPE.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If OP really means that a physical or sexual assault occurred, this is a legal issue and not something where being PP should matter. It's a crime and police should be involved (probably medical professionals too), although there might also be possibilities for civil remedies. OTOH, if what really happened was more like "my senses were assulated" then I suspect that someone is being overly dramatic.
Newman likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by uclabruins
I dont want to put more details on here about what happened yet until there is resolution but I appreciate all the responses for outside opinions. Needed those so thank you.

Im just dumbstruck at Marriotts response considering Im PPE.
in situations like this it doesn't matter if you are platinum or staying in marriott for the first time....an assault is a serious offense....stop waiting for marriott to contact you & get legal advice....
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
I wish the OP would have said where the police are in this process. It is unclear if a crime occurred, or if this is just a customer service issue. The world "assault" makes one think the former. Assaults are handled by the police. A company doesn't assault a human being. A person or person(s) do. When a crime occurs on private property, the police will contact the property owner, and the property owner will cooperate. Whether the company is responsible for that person's behavior is another question to be answered after the criminal investigation is completed. And that part requires a lawyer to file a suit and work on a settlement.

Customer service issues are handled by hotel management. If there is no police report, then the title of this thread should be changed to properly describe the inappropriate conduct that generated a customer service issue, instead of the word "assault".
Newman and GoPhils like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Assault can mean many things.

For example, an assault by a security guard could be someone separating two people in a hotel. It could also be something like what was in the news with several Jamaican resorts which is obviously far more serious. We don't know what OP means. I'll note I don't know of too many Marriott properties that have security guards in the US.

I don't, however, consider a customer service gesture of points to be an admission. The fact that this was treated as a points issue suggests it's something on the lower end of seriousness.

For the OP, we can't help unless you give us more info.

And, if you're PPE, it seems to me its quite possible this involves something unrelated.
Newman likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Sure, assault could be raising one's voice or taking a single step toward someone.
Still, any post with that word in it is implicating that a single property, or an entire company, is negligent at addressing the safety of their guests, regardless of what kind of "point value" is placed on the event.
Therefore, knowing if this is a criminal assault or something else really helps to put the situation in perspective. No police involvement? Then the thread title should be moderated to something better than "assault" to describe it. Anyone who travels and is interested in safety will click on this thread and the material contained here needs to provide more details than questions.
amanuensis, C17PSGR and Newman like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.