Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

I Literally Wanna Cry Out of Frustration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Literally Wanna Cry Out of Frustration

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Angry I Literally Wanna Cry Out of Frustration

I am about to throw the towel.

Prior to the merger, I credited most of my nights with SPG, but some to Marriott.

However, I made a mistake and merged my SPG with an old, unused Marriott account. I think I mixed up my email address when I signed in, but I am not certain.

Marriott has been unable to help me fix this since August.

After years of loyalty, I have 46 nights in my SPG account and 7 nights in my Marriott account.

I have opened cases that are never followed up. It's like the go into a black hole.

I have been on hold for an hour multiple times, but their phone system (or agent) kicks me off the call and send me back to the queue. Even though I have asked; not a single agent has called me back when disconnected.

One agent was able to get a hold of IT and she was told it cannot be done, and I am out of luck. At some point this may be possible, but there is no timeline.

I told her I'd lose my Plat status after being loyal for so long, and she agreed, but there was nothing she could do. She literally laughed on the phone saying she felt bad.

What is even more annoying is that I have a 3-night stay for NYE booked with my Marriott account prior to the merger (my accounts were linked).

I applied SNAs to that reservation prior to the merger. I was just told those SNAs are not longer linked to the reservation as my SPG account was linked to another Marriott account. But I can't even get them back if I wanted to. They simply disappeared.

I cannot believe a company is so disrespectful to customers. I can't fathom ever staying with Marriott in my life if I am not Platinum in Jan 2018. I earned it and their lack of competence and lack of willingness to help is responsible for it.
Napstolean and KRSW like this.

Last edited by coltonatx; Dec 20, 2018 at 12:37 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:09 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I'm confused a little bit...

You had an SPG account with lots of nights from your years with them
You had an old Marriott account, which you merged with said SPG account
You had a more current Marriott account, which you you meant to merge with said SPG

Newly merged account incorrectly reflects your combined SPG activity and dormant <old> Marriott account activity?

What kind of status did you have in the Marriott account which you meant to merge with?

I think u need to write a detailed letter, specifying all account numbers involved. SPG account(old), Incorrect Marriott account (old) and Correct Marriott account. If it gets to the right level, they should be able to handle it.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
From what I can remember, there was a screen showing the summary of the nights and point totals on BOTH accounts before you proceeded with the merge. Did you not review the screens to make sure they were correct? There's a noticeable difference between 7 nights and what I'm assuming is a larger number of Marriott nights on your "main" account. However, it's still odd they couldn't combine the 2 Marriott accounts now though...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
I'm confused a little bit...

You had an SPG account with lots of nights from your years with them

Yes. 46 nights in 2018.

You had an old Marriott account, which you merged with said SPG account

Yes. I had not stayed in Marriott hotels for many years. I have no credited nights to this account in 2017 or 2018.

You had a more current Marriott account, which you you meant to merge with said SPG

I created this account when Marriott announced they were merging with SPG. I started crediting nights back in 2017 to take advantage of Protea Hotels in South Africa.
I have credited 7 nights in 2018.

Newly merged account incorrectly reflects your combined SPG activity and dormant <old> Marriott account activity?

Yes. Merged account shows 46 (SPG) + 0 (old Marriott account)

What kind of status did you have in the Marriott account which you meant to merge with?

My SPG and new Marriott account were linked back in 2017 and reflected Platinum Status. I have been Platinum with SPG for several years.

I think u need to write a detailed letter, specifying all account numbers involved. SPG account(old), Incorrect Marriott account (old) and Correct Marriott account. If it gets to the right level, they should be able to handle it.

I have written emails as suggested by Lurkers. I have opened cases over the phone, which are never updated. I have spoken to managers, who tell me it can't be done.

I may have spent close to 3 hours this week on the phone with 3 different agents; all unable to do anything.

Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chongl
From what I can remember, there was a screen showing the summary of the nights and point totals on BOTH accounts before you proceeded with the merge. Did you not review the screens to make sure they were correct? There's a noticeable difference between 7 nights and what I'm assuming is a larger number of Marriott nights on your "main" account. However, it's still odd they couldn't combine the 2 Marriott accounts now though...
When I merged the accounts, I had issues logging into my Marriott account.

I thought I had paid attention to the totals; it seems bizarre I overlooked it.

It could very well be both accounts had the same email, and the system just picked the wrong one.

I recall asking the twitter team why my merged account didn't reflect the correct total back in August; I was told the accounts were merged, and it was just a matter of time.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you log into the new Marriott (Protea) account?
Do you have the account numbers?
Have account statements?
46 & 7 is not a lot nights
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Can you log into the new Marriott (Protea) account?
Do you have the account numbers?
Have account statements?
46 & 7 is not a lot nights
I have all account numbers.

The Protea stays were in 2017.

and 53 nights for a leisure traveler seem an awful lot to me.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
what about points from the two legacy accounts? How were they split off? Did you lose a bunch? Or is it more about nights for lifetime status?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Seems to me we had a thread on this awhile back, and the Lurkers were quite adamant that once two account are joined in holy matrimony, there's nothing further that can/will be done by Marriott IT. It's final, unfortunately.

Edit: I would hardly think this rises to the level of abandoning Marriott over - we're talking seven nights, no? And the mistake was yours to begin with. I hate it when the shills of our community automatically blame every OP who airs a grievance on FT, but you do have some ownership here by your own account.

Last edited by CCIE_Flyer; Dec 20, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by coltonatx
I have all account numbers.

The Protea stays were in 2017.

and 53 nights for a leisure traveler seem an awful lot to me.
I am confused as well. If your Protea stays totaling only 7 nights were in 2017 they would not carry forward and your nights would reset to zero in 2018. Only nights above your earned status in 2017 would carry forward. Are you expecting the combined accounts to include nights over two years, 2017 & 2018 for 2019 Status?

If you havent held a meeting this year, you may still have time to get 10 nights going that route to maintain Platinum.

James
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I re-read and this isn't even for LT status qualification, so it seems a bit much to want to cry over 7 nights and what seems to be an oversight on your part. If platinum status is such a big deal, you should host a meeting and get 10 nights to clear the threshold.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Like others, I'm confused. Are you saying in 2018 you stayed 53 nights? But your account only shows 46 because the 7 Marriott nights are missing?

All your history prior to 2018 is correct?

Since it's still 2018, I would assume you could provide your bills from the 7 missing stays, assuming you have copies or can still access them, and ask that they be credited to your account. I could see how this would be confusing to Marriott and may take a while to figure out, but I would think they would eventually get it right -- likely not until after 2019 has started.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by JBord
Like others, I'm confused. Are you saying in 2018 you stayed 53 nights? But your account only shows 46 because the 7 Marriott nights are missing?

All your history prior to 2018 is correct?

Since it's still 2018, I would assume you could provide your bills from the 7 missing stays, assuming you have copies or can still access them, and ask that they be credited to your account. I could see how this would be confusing to Marriott and may take a while to figure out, but I would think they would eventually get it right -- likely not until after 2019 has started.
I like that idea. If it's seven nights of credit and points, why not just get the bills and ask them to be credited. That seems way simpler.

But your status now is still Plat right? From all those years?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I am confused as well. If your Protea stays totaling only 7 nights were in 2017 they would not carry forward and your nights would reset to zero in 2018. Only nights above your earned status in 2017 would carry forward. Are you expecting the combined accounts to include nights over two years, 2017 & 2018 for 2019 Status?

If you havent held a meeting this year, you may still have time to get 10 nights going that route to maintain Platinum.

James

I am not sure why Protea is relevant and people keep bringing it up. I simply said I created my Marriott account in 2017 bc I had some stays in Africa and ended up staying in Protea hotel.

The 7 nights from 2018 are in different hotels all in the US.

Sure, it was my fault, but I find it incredible a hotel cannot help. You’d think someone would be willing to help someone who has been loyal for years.

Platinum is important to me bc I’m a leisure traveler and breakfast / upgrades have been generous even at Marriott properties during 2018. I am not LTP

On 01/01/2019, I’ll be Gold and we all know it is sh*t.

i have a stay in Brazil 12/28/18-1/1/19; however, neither Marriott nor the hotel are able to help me credit to my SPG account. Why? Bc the points came out of my Marriott account, the one that wasn’t merged.

i have 10 nights before NYE and I’ll be in the mountains in CO where there’s no Marriott hotels. I have no chance of staying at Marriott between now and 12/31

I tried to reach out to two of the last Marriott hotels I stayed at prior to merging and asked them to credit the nights to another account ... I haven’t been successful.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by coltonatx

I am not sure why Protea is relevant and people keep bringing it up. I simply said I created my Marriott account in 2017 bc I had some stays in Africa and ended up staying in Protea hotel.

The 7 nights from 2018 are in different hotels all in the US.

Sure, it was my fault, but I find it incredible a hotel cannot help. You’d think someone would be willing to help someone who has been loyal for years.

Platinum is important to me bc I’m a leisure traveler and breakfast / upgrades have been generous even at Marriott properties during 2018. I am not LTP

On 01/01/2019, I’ll be Gold and we all know it is sh*t.

i have a stay in Brazil 12/28/18-1/1/19; however, neither Marriott nor the hotel are able to help me credit to my SPG account. Why? Bc the points came out of my Marriott account, the one that wasn’t merged.

i have 10 nights before NYE and I’ll be in the mountains in CO where there’s no Marriott hotels. I have no chance of staying at Marriott between now and 12/31

I tried to reach out to two of the last Marriott hotels I stayed at prior to merging and asked them to credit the nights to another account ... I haven’t been successful.
When you go to Brazil, ask them to credit the nights to your current account. Don't get into a big explanation -- just your number changed with the merger.

As for Marriott hotels you stayed at, contact accounting at each of the hotels and ask them to email your bill if you don't have it. The report those stays as missing stays through the website.

Once its been more than a day or two, the hotel can't do anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.