Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Los Cabos - Does a bowl of fruit and a piece of bread count as plat breakfast?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Los Cabos - Does a bowl of fruit and a piece of bread count as plat breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum

Hey All,

I searched for some threads here, and I didn't seem to find a relevant spot to stick this question so I made a new thread. I'm staying at a Westin, and per the Marriott website, it looks like I'm entitled to breakfast in restaurant. I understand continental breakfast may apply, but here basic cold foods like cereal are off limits. They will only give you one small bowl of fruit and a piece of toast. This is the farthest I've seen the term continental breakfast stretched before. I'm looking at my voucher they gave me, and it actually doesn't say continental... It just says "complimentary breakfast in the restaurant." I'm not meaning to be too nitpicky. I don't need some over the top breakfast. I'd rather eat light so I can pay for a great lunch at the pool, but being forced to just eat a piece of toast and bread or having to pay to upgrade to the real breakfast seems pretty weak. LMK if I'm being over entitled here.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I don't think there's any end to what properties are going to pull going forward - Marriott doesn't appear to care in the least.

I recently stayed at the Huntsville Westin, where the breakfast was on par with any Best Western lobby offering - and juice was $5 glass! They have servers for this juice (but get your own slop of watery eggs, etc), who offer it to you without telling you there's charge. Then, of course, there's a line on your bill to add a tip for this utter insult. I cannot think of a single thing that a hotel has done in recent memory to generate so much ill will towards their property and their brand. It's a complete mockery of the Plat program and its supposed benefits.

I do have an ambassador through which to air such complaints. However, I've decided that the better approach is to publicly shame properties on a case-by-case basis going forward. I didn't want to start my own thread on the topic, so thanks very much hungarianhc for this opportunity!

(And no, you are not being overly entitled - you are being screwed and screwed with!)
EuropeanPete, CanRulez and wds17 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Hahaha thanks for the words of affirmation! It's crazy... I get that the hotel might not want me to have their coveted trays of sausage or waffles under the warming light, but there's literally cereal and pastries out, and they said those were off limits. Here is exactly what you are given at this property.

And yes - I know - there are multiple pieces of bread in the basket, but there were multiple people eating as well :-).

Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I would say this is beyond a joke... and would be ranting and raving to the Management as this is not what constitutes as a breakfast!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
This property is going downhill! Just looked at what they used to offer in the wiki here:

Post How Properties handle the SPG Platinum Breakfast Benefit introduced in 2012

Los Cabos - The Westin Resort & Spa, Los Cabos: Breakfast in the Royal Club Lounge including 3 hot items per day AND 500 points (02/2014)
Is the lounge closed?

We really need to start a thread to document how properties are handling Plat breakfast post merger.
damon88 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I agree this belongs in a "Hall of Shame" breakfast thread.

Maybe one of the high profile bloggers will pick it up. That seems to get Marriott's attention. Because individual complaints just go into the void.

Don't forget to shame them on TA as well.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Maybe one of the high profile bloggers will pick it up.
While not high profile, looks like one of those bloggers got it .
damon88 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Since the merger I have seen hotels go from a full breakfast to nothing. Honestly at this stage of the game, I have no expectations. Its a miracle if my stays post and suite upgrades arent even something that I hope for.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Actually that fruit looks pretty good, but obviously most breakfasters would regard that as as side, or a desert of sorts.

Oh, and I was just reading through some other current threads, and I just want to beat our resident shills to the punch by blaming you for this, and sternly reminding you that it would be waaay worse at any other hotel chain. You are lucky and should be thankful! (Sorry shills, I know you like to be first at bat with this sort of nonsense!)
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
I stayed here 2 weeks ago and they were offering a variety of breads (crossaints, toasts, pastries). Not sure why they're only giving you toast
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Sounds roughly comparable to the Morning Glory or English Muffin and a cup of coffee or OJ for $8 that was the free breakfast at the Cat 9 Grand Bohemian in CHS last weekend.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Does this even save the property money?
I suspect the marginal cost of allowing Plats to access the full buffet is close to zero.

My suspicion is they are angling for the $11 upcharge. That, and just plain meanness.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:32 pm

Well you are in ....ing Mexico, just be glad they didnt bring you any water
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
This is really sad! Guess when I checkin and they ask if I want breakfast or points I will need to start asking exactly what’s included in the continental breakfast. In the past some W Hotels have been ridiculous but this is the first I’m seeing it at a Westin.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'm not a tripadvisor fan but perhaps that gets more attention than FT. I'd post it there. They need shamed,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.