Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tropical Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Tropical Honeymoon

My fiancee and I will be taking our honeymoon in mid-May, probably a week or so. I've never been anywhere tropical, so that is what we want to do. I have been saving points and miles for a few years, with the goal of using points for as much of the honeymoon as possible (likely Marriott). The flight doesn't have to be points (I scan the flight deal websites every day) but we want to book the hotel/resort with points. I have found several interesting possibilities, but then I get overwhelmed by all the alternatives and at this point, I'm paralyzed by all the options! I've decided to turn to the forums for some help from the experts, especially considering my inexperience on this sort of trip.

For example, we found we could stay at El Mangroove in Costa Rica for 210,000 Marriott points and use the Chase portal to book a United flight for 66,000 UR points. But then I discovered the Punta Islita farther down the coast for the same points, and all the activities are included. Then I figured out there is a JW Marriott halfway between those two, which would cost more Marriott points but looks really nice too. AAAH! When I try to read up on the locations, I see conflicting arguments re: proximity to local restaurants, activities in the area, etc.

Our preferences are:
- An amazing beach, steps from the room
- Paddle boarding, kayaking, bikes, etc. available at resort
- Great snorkeling directly at the resort beach. I have no snorkeling experience, but am really excited about this. I'm imagining being able to explore the area around our resort with a mask and snorkel on my own.
- Opportunity for a jungle adventure nearby. Bird watching, zip-lining, hiking, etc.
- Excellent food, with options outside the resort close by. We like to experience the local culture.
- Reliable transportation options. I will probably be drinking during the day some, and would prefer not to have to consider the options of having some beers during the afternoon or driving to dinner. However, if I can rent a car fairly cheaply, I would so we can explore more than if we had to rely on taxis/public transportation.
-Tranquility. It doesn't need to be adults only, but no screaming kids running around all over the place.

I am an explorer and I'm a bit nervous of getting bored. Our vacations usually involve traveling to a new city every three or four days. But for this trip, staying in one place the whole time will be ideal. After the first day of reading my book on the beach, I know I'll be looking for something to do. If the resort has activities like paddle boarding, etc. included, that would be great.

As I mentioned above, we enjoy experiencing local culture and avoiding the super touristy areas. This may contradict some of my other stated desires, but I honestly don't know everything that's out there and am trying to include as much detail as I can to help you all understand where I'm coming from. I know I'm probably rambling and all over the place here, so I can clarify anything or answer questions to help narrow it down.

Thanks!

Chase UR points: 250,000
Marriott/SPG points: 250,000
United Mileage Plus points: 55,000
World of Hyatt points: 55,000
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
There are a host of different options for you. My suggestion might be to look at Kauai and maybe add on a couple of days on Oahu. Kauai has a ton of nearly empty beaches that will take a bit of hiking to get to. Each one is different and an adventure to get to and the payout is very possibly having a whole Hawaiian beach all to yourselves. And then there is the 2nd largest canyon in the US (Waimea Canyon). The views are awesome and it is well worth the price of a helicopter tour (plus you'll see more waterfalls than on any of other Hawaiian islands, maybe even combined.) Then you can take a kayak/hiking/swimming/hayride tours/excursions as Kauai has the only navigable rivers in the state of Hawaii. If you go, suggest getting the "Kauai Trailblazer: Where to Hike, Snorkel, Bike, Paddle, Surf" and "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook: Kauai Revealed" books. There is so much to do and see, you won't get bored at all.

And I added Oahu as you might already be flying through there anyway and if you have never been to the Pearl Harbor memorial, you are missing a big piece of US history.

BTW, the Grand Hyatt there is very, very nice and your 66K points would probably get you 2 nights there. Then you could spend the other 5 nights at the Westin Princeville for about 240K (and you might be able to use some of your Chase points to add to your Marriott balance if there are any upgrade options.) Though if you're trying to keep your cash costs down, you might check to see if the Chase points can be used to pay for a car and excursions.

Last edited by hhoope01; Dec 3, 2018 at 1:10 pm
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply! I showed this to my fiancee, and she informed me that Southwest is expected to start flying to Hawaii next year. We are planning to have the companion pass in 2020 and 2021, so it seems like we may wait to visit Hawaii until then.

I had mentioned the Hotel Punta Islita to her previously, and she is sold! The fact that so many activities are included is a major bonus. I've looked at the thread for that hotel and it really seems to fit our style. I have a quick question about which points to use to book the flight, please:

I can use 70,000 United points and $162 to book round trip. I would need to transfer about 15,000 Chase UR points to have enough. I understand that Chase UR points are generally valued at a higher rate than the United points. My question is whether it would behoove me to book through the Chase Portal using UR points. As I understand it, using this method, the points are directly related to the cost of the fare. At the moment, it would be 73,000 Chase points. Using the values of 1.5 cents per United point and 2.2 cents per Chase point, I concluded that it is a better deal for me to book through United. However, I'm wondering if the price for the flight through Chase will go down and it will be a better deal to book through the Chase portal in the future. Is this sound logic, or am I best off just booking through United and making sure I get what is currently available?

Also, my United Mileage Explorer card earns me a free checked bag on United flights. If I cancel the card between the time I book and the time I fly, will I still receive the free checked bag? Or does my card need to be active at the time I fly to earn the benefit?

I appreciate any responses. I have learned a lot about earning points by watching these forums over the years, but this is my first time redeeming the points, and I like to maximize my value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.