Wiki Posts
Search

Made ambassador, now what?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Made ambassador, now what?

I just crossed the spend threshold for ambassador for the year. What happens from here? Will someone reach out to me? I'm going on vacation towards the end of next week and was hoping to leverage the ambassador for an upgrade.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/United 1K
Yes, they will reach out to you. Since the merger of the IT systems however, my ambassador has not been nearly as good (presumably, she's dealing with a bunch of Elites who are having a lot of issues). Stay optimistic, but don't be surprised if she can't get you an upgrade. They are just understaffed and much less effective now.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Eventually you'll get an email from your newly assigned Ambassador.

BTW, is Ambassador status indicated yet on (both of) your accounts? Mine still doesn't show correctly and I qualified before August 1st from the MR side.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
i've had my ambassador for a year. she was never able to get an upgrade for me. If I want to be sure of an upgrade I used SNAs. Other than that, I have been upgraded at every one of my stays that actually had upgradeable rooms at check-in. FYI I've stayed 332 nights in SPG/Marriott so far this year not sure if that matters to them.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Wife made Ambassador for the first time on 19 Nov. Got a very nice email from her Ambassador on 28 Nov.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Michilander
Wife made Ambassador for the first time on 19 Nov. Got a very nice email from her Ambassador on 28 Nov.
That was very fast. She was lucky.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That was very fast. She was lucky.
Based on all the things I've seen in the Ambassador Experience, Good or Bad thread, I agree. Now we see how well her ambassador deals with the first request.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by dunno282
i've had my ambassador for a year. she was never able to get an upgrade for me. If I want to be sure of an upgrade I used SNAs. Other than that, I have been upgraded at every one of my stays that actually had upgradeable rooms at check-in. FYI I've stayed 332 nights in SPG/Marriott so far this year not sure if that matters to them.
I've had an ambassador for 6 months (as I had 250 nights this year). In my case, I find the service mostly useless: I have not had any upgrades, I have not had any early check-ins guaranteed, the average reply time is 24-36h. So if I need something, I either do it myself on the app, or call customer service for a prompt response.

I had an Ambassador with SPG for 3 years till 2015. In comparison, the SPG ambassador service, or at least the ambassador I had back then, was much much better. I would often get suite upgrades guaranteed before arrival, my ambassador was contacting me pro-actively when I had a hotel booking to check if I needed something, and the response time was 3-5 hours during business hours.
I only hope that when the IT issues settle, the current ambassador service improves significantly. As it is now, it looks like useless to me.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by josep
I find the service mostly useless:
+1

I have over 150 nights so far this year and counting and the experiences with customer service have ranged from excellent to downright useless (much more from the useless side of things).

I have a list of 14 outstanding issues that need to be addressed and tackle one a week. It was NEVER this bad from either side of the legacy programs pre-account merger.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by josep
I've had an ambassador for 6 months (as I had 250 nights this year). In my case, I find the service mostly useless: I have not had any upgrades, I have not had any early check-ins guaranteed, the average reply time is 24-36h. So if I need something, I either do it myself on the app, or call customer service for a prompt response.

I had an Ambassador with SPG for 3 years till 2015. In comparison, the SPG ambassador service, or at least the ambassador I had back then, was much much better. I would often get suite upgrades guaranteed before arrival, my ambassador was contacting me pro-actively when I had a hotel booking to check if I needed something, and the response time was 3-5 hours during business hours.
I only hope that when the IT issues settle, the current ambassador service improves significantly. As it is now, it looks like useless to me.
My ambassador came over from Starwood. She said they have now tripled the amount of Ambassador members she has now! Before she was able to be more 1 on 1
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Marriott15
My ambassador came over from Starwood. She said they have now tripled the amount of Ambassador members she has now! Before she was able to be more 1 on 1
between that, now $20k spend, and Your24 becoming mostly worthless recently, quite the sell job for reaching for Ambassador in 2019!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

between that, now $20k spend, and Your24 becoming mostly worthless recently, quite the sell job for reaching for Ambassador in 2019!
Presumably the argument for former SPG people is that in 2019 and 2020 you will need an Ambassador just to do the basic stuff that you used to do online or with SPG chat. You may miss the Ambassador service under the SPG regime, but just imagine what it will be like in 2019 without one to get the rooms and points you paid for.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by Marriott15
From a customer service point of view: is there anything that works better now than before? Serious question. I continue to have high hopes, but so far, nothing seems better for me as a customer after the merger, everything go degraded a notch, still good in many ways, but in no way better: responsiveness, frequency of upgrades, your24's granted, points required for my usual hotels (there is an aloft I used to go that doubled!), even late checkouts... I would score 6pm easily in the past, now not a chance.

I am sure Marriott wants high returns for its shareholders. I am not sure they will achieve that without a great service for loyal customers.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: UA GS, 3MM, Titanium Elite for life
Prepare to be disappointed. With the exception of a gift on my birthday, they have never been of much help ... almost always defer to the hotel staff. Have been for years, but, will come up about 2 nights short and will not make the effort. I hope it is better for you. -sr
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW, is Ambassador status indicated yet on (both of) your accounts? Mine still doesn't show correctly and I qualified before August 1st from the MR side.
Yes, it is. I crossed the threshold from a stay M-W this week and, as of Friday, it says "Platinum Premier Elite + Ambassador".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.