Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A chat with a property manager

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I mentioned the 75 nights in terms of upgrade priority, not lounge access. The lounge access angle would be affected by current SPG golds matched to Platinum (if I have that right) who lose that in January?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by narvik
Because of the millions and millions of United 1K members dropping from Platinum to Gold!
Actually it's UA Gold and higher. That probably is over a million.

But this is what we always see when programs merge - more elites, which puts increased pressure on benefits.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by lamphs
While there is probably not accurate data available, I am curious as to the extent of the program merger problems. Do the problems appear to be greater than reality in that we FTers generally post the negatives on this forum; not so much the positives? In my case, I have been a loyal MR member for many years with no problems prior to the merger. After the merger, I took the opportunity to try several SPG properties. In many stays since the merger, the worst problem that I had was a reservation that was not e-mailed to me. Upon arrival, my reservation was on file, I received the designated benefits, and my stays/points posted accurately. And my SPG stays/points merged into my MR account without issue. That is what counts for me.

If nothing else, the merger, with all of the FT posts, I received a good refresher of the benefits that are designated for my status.
I haven't seen any changes at Marriott props since August. I haven't stayed in an SPG property in 7 or 8 years, so I can't comment there. The problems I've had have been before arrival, such as phone customer service while trying to book using a certificate. That has been a major issue since spring when they "temporarily" shut down the Plat customer service desk "to prepare for the integration". I guess they integrated all the way to India or the Philippines since it's nothing but long waits followed up by incompetent offshore outsourced customer service.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

On the lounge issue with Golds - the manager truly believed that most were aware that they were not entitled but feigned ignorance or were just attempting to game the system .

The property , being legacy SPG, had not been switched over to all the Marriott systems which I believe I read is happening in batches . Needless to say , the manager was not looking forward to the upcoming changeover for the property.

Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by catocony
I will assume that a lot of former Marriott silvers think they got a big upgrade to the old Gold back in August, which is why they're arguing about lounge access. They're thinking they hit the higher tier in the old program, instead of just being relabled Gold with the reduced Gold benefits.
Exactly right... for a long time I was not clear re: why I was suddenly Gold. There was never a word of clarifying communication from Corporate, which would have managed expectations somewhat.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by lamphs
While there is probably not accurate data available, I am curious as to the extent of the program merger problems. Do the problems appear to be greater than reality in that we FTers generally post the negatives on this forum; not so much the positives? In my case, I have been a loyal MR member for many years with no problems prior to the merger. After the merger, I took the opportunity to try several SPG properties. In many stays since the merger, the worst problem that I had was a reservation that was not e-mailed to me. Upon arrival, my reservation was on file, I received the designated benefits, and my stays/points posted accurately. And my SPG stays/points merged into my MR account without issue. That is what counts for me.

If nothing else, the merger, with all of the FT posts, I received a good refresher of the benefits that are designated for my status.
If you've followed the conference call and 10Q reports from Marriott and several franchisees who operate properties under various programs (IHG/Marriott/Hilton), the data suggests there hasn't been a material problem in the integration. RevPAR is fine. Reservations using the Marriott platform are actually up. Franchisees aren't complaining. I'm not discounting what we're hearing from some on FT (although my account with 125 nights this year has been accurate since early September) but it doesn't appear to be representative.

And ...I'm convinced that there are more Plats or higher now, that there were before .... but every time I say that, I am attacked!
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
And ...I'm convinced that there are more Plats or higher now, that there were before .... but every time I say that, I am attacked!
Properties are convinced of this too - because everybody's a Plat now!
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
There's no attacking - but if you are going to make the claim, back it up with some data or at least insights. Otherwise it's just noise.

The only "new Plat" population (as noted elsewhere) should be some subset of people who had under 50 nights separately in MR and SPG (but for SPG, had to be night focused vs. stay focused, could have been Plat with 25 stays/low night counts), who combined to over 50 nights (and who weren't already getting MR Gold via UA). That's likely a pretty tiny, not-well-thought-out-strategy population....basically someone who was SPG Gold/MR Silver every year..
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
I am amazed about the issues as well by the hotel sharing info. How can elite nights take up to 10 days to post when Delta and others that have as many customers post flights within 1 or 2 days. Received a Happy Birthday offer of 1 elite night that has never posted. Marriott is not impressive.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
On the lounge issue with Golds - the manager truly believed that most were aware that they were not entitled but feigned ignorance or were just attempting to game the system .

And then there are blogs like this.

"New Marriott Program: Right Now Your Status is Whatever You Say it Is"

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...you-say-it-is/
remymartin likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by puntamita
I am amazed about the issues as well by the hotel sharing info. How can elite nights take up to 10 days to post when Delta and others that have as many customers post flights within 1 or 2 days. Received a Happy Birthday offer of 1 elite night that has never posted. Marriott is not impressive.
I think everyone is hoping we are not in a normal operational state right now. There are many issues that need to be addressed, it's a shame keeping management informed (or them keeping us informed) is not a priority. I'd really hate to find out they are out right lying about the state of affairs to impress stockholders because that can backfire big time! A vote of no-confidence in current management can put us all in a tailspin.
puntamita likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
The property , being legacy SPG, had not been switched over to all the Marriott systems which I believe I read is happening in batches . Needless to say , the manager was not looking forward to the upcoming changeover for the property.
They're switching the brands over in batches (think dates were listed in a different thread). It might make it easier for the manager when his brand is switched over vs. the current hodge podge method.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.