Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moxy Edinburgh Airport, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Opening Jan '19. Cat 4. Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...burgh-airport/

Says it's .3 miles from airport. No hotel shuttle service. Taxi approx 10GPB; bus 2.5GPB.

Typical Moxy description on website:"The bright and open lobby layout is paired with contemporary furniture. The ''Plug and Meet'' gathering areas provide modern ergonomic seating, large writing walls and 56 inch televisions for presentation projection. The lobby also boasts a state-of-the art video wall and 24/7 Food & Beverage offering a wide selection of snacks and drinks. Other hotel amenities include healthy continental breakfast, an evening bar featuring wines by the glass and local brews. All bedrooms are equipped with 42 inch flat screen televisions, build in USB ports and free Wifi."

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jan 2, 2019 at 11:58 am
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
has anyone stayed here? i've never been in a moxy, but am thinking of an overnight on points near EDI...if it's really .3 miles, that sounds walkable, at least without big luggage.

i'm just wondering if it's a decent choice for a close-in, pleasant overnight.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I have not stayed, but travel through EDI every week. It is a very easy walk to the terminal from here, should not take more than 5-10 mins, even with luggage.

I have stayed at Moxy hotels a few times elsewhere and quite like them, but their corporate-chain-does-millennial-hipster style is not for everyone. If you prefer a more functional option then there is a Hampton directly next to this that opened at the same time.
Intl359Widget and karenkay like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ao40
I have not stayed, but travel through EDI every week. It is a very easy walk to the terminal from here, should not take more than 5-10 mins, even with luggage.

I have stayed at Moxy hotels a few times elsewhere and quite like them, but their corporate-chain-does-millennial-hipster style is not for everyone. If you prefer a more functional option then there is a Hampton directly next to this that opened at the same time.
Marriott should just combine the Aloft and Moxy portfolios into one brand to streamline their approach for appealing to the 'hip' crowd.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Marriott should just combine the Aloft and Moxy portfolios into one brand to streamline their approach for appealing to the 'hip' crowd.
They are different concepts, to be fair. Aloft is more a pared down full service concept, whereas Moxy is designed from a youth hostel up - communal ironing rooms, baggage lockers, help yourself dish of the day, reception in the bar, etc.

There are quite a few other brands where there really is questionable overlap. Compare the Sheraton, Four Points and the various Marriott brands with each other, similarly Autograph vs. Tribune...
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hilton diamond, Marriott titanium, IHG platinum
Moxy Edinburgh much better than Moxy at Milan Malpensa, which I think was the first. Think v modern, v clean designer Premier Inn or Citizen M, with trendy bar/restaurant which includes checkin desk - a little understaffed when it first opened. Easy 200 yard walk on protected pavements to airport checkins with just one road to cross. Opening deal of £60 was unbeatable - probably a little higher now.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks, all.

it's just one night, and i have an expiring cert, so i'll likely keep my reservation and report back, despite rather unencouraging tripadvisor reviews. as a data point, hotel GM email is [email protected]
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by karenkay
thanks, all.

it's just one night, and i have an expiring cert, so i'll likely keep my reservation and report back, despite rather unencouraging tripadvisor reviews. as a data point, hotel GM email is [email protected]
If I had an expiring cert, I would probably use it but at whatever highest category I could find though you can't beat the convenience of walking out the door to the airport in 5 minutes.
karenkay likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

view from the room
just realized I never reported back on my stay: just fine for what it is, and it's new, which is nice. wouldn't want an extended stay here--no closet, etc.--but for a night? great.

as a lifetime tit, had a perfectly pleasant room, got an f&b credit which I used for drinks and snacks and loved the stroll to/from the airport. checkin/out was smooth and easy, and the internet worked well. liked that the windows opened and I could get fresh air. I didn't love not being able to control the 'nightlight' which turns on and off when one gets up in the dark, but that's a feature of the moxy, not a bug.

I'd stay again if in the area.
nequine, AJLondon and aks120 like this.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Nice Funky Hotel

Moxy Edinburgh Airport

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Moxy Edinburgh Airport

1 Fairview Rd Edinburgh, GB EH28 8AP

Nice Funky Hotel (12 Photos)

Moxy Edinburgh Airport

Check In

Check in was fast and painless - done at the bar which is not what I like normally. But I can understand why they do it in this hotel - saves on staff! I had to register my car but that was easy to do7EB5774D-99C1-4044-B464-A7EC1265B833.jpeg

Room

The room was quite small - the bathroom is tiny and I am not rue how a couple would get on!  The bed was a bit hard for me but it was quiet. The shower was fine, with the body wash and conditioner attached to the wall. There was an annoying light under the bed that switched on when you got up - not sure I see the point!

The thing I disliked the most was the heating - you cant change the temperature and it was set at 22.5 deg C - too hot for my liking.

E9A6F869-6E2F-499A-B632-B302CBA96B03.jpeg2787AF7D-D9FB-4465-B939-E1E5404E133F.jpegE9C48C03-6AE0-4241-8559-F6C00FEB355F.jpeg5D95CD51-CD88-4B79-A02A-B0E4D134D8C2.jpeg

Service

Service was very friendly - I got a genuine apology for them being unable to upgrade me due to being Gold.  The lady took my parking fees off in lieu of an upgrade which I thought was very generous.

Dining

I didnt eat anything here but saw the menu which looked quite good. Certainly stuff for most tastes,

This hotel is within walking distance of the airport - takes just under 10 mins. Prob not a walk with lots of luggage but there is a concrete path so it is doable.

I parked my car in the car park - while there is no barrier, it felt safe enough and the price was about the same as an overnight in the EDI car park.

Overall

Overall I found this hotel a little funky and modern for me but it was a pleasant stay and I wouldn't hesitate in coming back if I needed to.  I will admit that I preferred the Hampton next door but it was closed for this visit.

B9DE5DC1-7723-4852-93E1-206496454C4B.jpeg80785F2A-5CF2-4F34-A01E-FE294FD0B9B7.jpegFE3C427E-A9AB-4536-918E-4D33D30E7D81.jpegE4DD9F98-14A7-4ECE-9891-FF193B7082A3.jpeg95FFFBE8-A2B5-4101-B1CA-7B284FED0F7F.jpeg0BEB6531-F2D6-4884-A1B8-F85DBA73EA3C.jpegC0659C05-5302-45DA-99F8-DDACDC6B7C5C.jpeg

Nice Funky Hotel

Would you like to write a review on the Moxy Edinburgh Airport?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 28, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
My issue with Moxy is that they are too expensive for what they are. Much prefer more Courtyards. A lot need to be half the price to justify the hall of residence vibe!
Old May 28, 2021, 1:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I got this stay at a pretty good price of £69 plus there was nothing else open! But I agree they have a dorm vibe that I am just too old for!

aks120
stuartpig and Intl359Widget like this.
Old May 28, 2021, 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by aks120
I got this stay at a pretty good price of £69 plus there was nothing else open! But I agree they have a dorm vibe that I am just too old for!

aks120
Not bad. I have seen Chester and Birmingham NEC well over £100. I won’t be trying them. We like space and comfort!!
Old May 29, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Looks very similar to the one in Aberdeen. What is it too with only giving 2 pillows?! If I had known that in advance of my stay, I would have asked for extra pillows. I totally agree with you about the bathrooms being tiny - with one step you could go from sitting on the toilet to being in the shower!
aks120 likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by stuartpig
Not bad. I have seen Chester and Birmingham NEC well over £100. I won’t be trying them. We like space and comfort!!
With respect, its very clear that Moxy doesn't aim to provide that. It's a very targeted branding strategy, and knocking the brand because its not as spacious or comfortable as a Courtyard doesn't make any sense. They're appealing to very different strata of traveler.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.