Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corporate Travel Bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ABG
Marriott can load anything it wants into the GDS.... Corporate rates, government rates, NET rates etc etc.
It all just has to be coded properly
Sorry if I wasn't clear - transient rates include "Corporate Rates, government rates etc etc." though I have to admit I'm not sure what you mean by NET rates, NET rates are a type of rate but they are not a rate segment (NET rate would be the room rate portion of a bundled rate but the bundled rate can be either a group or transient rate (heck I could be a contract rate too))

So to be clear MARSHA is able to feed GDS's Transient rates however it is not able to feed ALL types of rates, Group & Contract rates can not be loaded into GDS systems, the OP is working on a project and these are often times loaded as a group rate which is why I suggested they contact their sales person at the hotel to see what the best solution would be
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ABG
Marriott can load anything it wants into the GDS.... Corporate rates, government rates, NET rates etc etc.
It all just has to be coded properly
And there's the problem... coded properly. Currently not Marriott's strong point.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
And there's the problem... coded properly. Currently not Marriott's strong point.
I know you were being tongue in cheek but on a serious note properties don't code anything into GDS's - there's a centralized desk that handles it at the Omaha Res center (though a property does have to submit for local BT rates to be loaded) so because these folks have been loading rates since the dawn of time and since the MARSHA and GDS's are both older than dirt it should be status quo for them (i.e. no issues) (this is actually the same process for 99% of branded hotels such as Hilton, Hyatt, IHG etc.)
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by socrates
I know you were being tongue in cheek but on a serious note properties don't code anything into GDS's - there's a centralized desk that handles it at the Omaha Res center (though a property does have to submit for local BT rates to be loaded) so because these folks have been loading rates since the dawn of time and since the MARSHA and GDS's are both older than dirt it should be status quo for them (i.e. no issues) (this is actually the same process for 99% of branded hotels such as Hilton, Hyatt, IHG etc.)
Yes, some level of sarcasm there, but don't properties also have to load their rooms and what rates are available? So corporate rates are loaded at some central location, properties have to load their locally negotiated rates, then the properties have to specify which rooms are available for whatever rate, and, oh by the way, we're only keeping a link to the rate details so if we choose to update/change those details, your reservation will now show the new details and not what was in place at the time of booking, which you should be entitled to for your stay. Getting the point? Way too many failure points sitting out there. I know it's been in play for decades across the industry, but we only hear about a very small numbers of failures which is good.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, some level of sarcasm there, but don't properties also have to load their rooms and what rates are available? So corporate rates are loaded at some central location, properties have to load their locally negotiated rates, then the properties have to specify which rooms are available for whatever rate, and, oh by the way, we're only keeping a link to the rate details so if we choose to update/change those details, your reservation will now show the new details and not what was in place at the time of booking, which you should be entitled to for your stay. Getting the point? Way too many failure points sitting out there. I know it's been in play for decades across the industry, but we only hear about a very small numbers of failures which is good.
I had a very long response typed out but I think I drifted too far away from your question so I'll just give it to you in bullets

Even though things are much more automated these days and there's other systems helping control a hotels inventory a hotel is still 100% in control is it's inventory and has all responsibilities that go with that (nothing makes me cringe more than hearing "Marriott Corp made this mistake")

MARSHA still controls 100% of reservations, and everything that was ever done with it from time of booking, who booked it, how they booked it, what time they booked it, who made a change, how they made the change, what the reservation was originally and what it was changed to and what rules were in place at each step of the way. Unfortunately a typical GSA won't have access to MARSHA but important items do pass along to the hotel systems (this doesn't mean the hotel doesn't have access to MARSHA they do, it's just not something a GSA would typically use very often)

Very few of a hotels overall rates are loaded into GDS systems, when a hotel needs a rate loaded into a GDS a request is sent to a central team to load it - all that team is doing is making it so the GDS can access the rate via an interface directly from MARSHA

I started to give an example where an airport hotel this over the summer told me I made my last minute reservation for the wrong day....I didn't and was able to log into the systems and show them - we all laughed after but I cringe thinking what a typical travel would have thought (and personally use this example all the time)...at the end of the day, none of this is too complex that a hotel shouldn't be able to execute well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.