Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Need Advice: Platinum Premier leaving Marriott. How to make the most of the move?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Advice: Platinum Premier leaving Marriott. How to make the most of the move?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
80 nights per year might be enough to qualify for IHG Royal Ambassador (supposedly requires 10k per year spending). That might be superior option to anything else, but you would have to really stick with IC properties.

Other than that, no idea really. I also do not see a point in maintaining Marriott status once my current one expires. Hilton program is good for elite benefits, but useless for points, IHG is good for points, but useless for elite benefits, neither Hilton nor Hyatt have decent coverage in Asia. Perhaps I will just give up on maintaining any status for the status sake.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Not really. The last time I had a complaint about not getting into our room on time, Hilton gave me enough points for a free night.
I have to agree in the last 6 months I have found Hilton exceptionally good at resolving complaints / issues and giving a very fair amount of points that equate to the Hilton points scale. On the opposite side I have found SPG in the last 12 -18 months go the other way and the points offers via hotels of Ambassador due to issues shrink and by maybe 50-60% of historical levels. I have been offers Marriott Points recently that were such a joke I refused them simply as it was insulting. The agent didn't disagree they were simply not allowed to offer more.

I feel Hilton has very much upped it's game this year and is very much aware of the chance to make gains at Marriott's expense.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Some of the Hyatt suites are quite nice and others are so-so (with just an adjacent adjoining room attached)
Between 2014 and 2017, I flirted with Hyatt and stayed at both full-service and limited-service properties in Washington; Arlington, Virginia; Tampa; Milwaukee; Toronto; Singapore; Guam; Saipan; and San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Obviously, the Park Hyatt properties are in a league of their own. I've heard great things about the Park Hyatt in Vienna, for example.

The limited-service Hyatt properties aren't bad because many are new. I read that Hyatt's fastest growth is coming from limited-service properties because owners can make just as much money as a full-service property but with less overhead.

On the other hand, the Hyatt Regency and Grant Hyatt properties that I stayed at were all kind of disappointing in terms of the rooms. The rooms were fine in 2006 or 2007, but were outdated by a couple of years -- particularly in needing electrical outlets -- by the time I stayed. I remember thinking the bathroom in the junior suite I had at the Grand Hyatt Singapore was overdue for a renovation by at least 10 years. With that said, the service at the full-service Hyatt properties was a little more refined in its execution, though that could because I had more full-service stays in Asia than North America.

I think Marriott has done a commendable job in the last four years getting the Marriott and Renaissance properties updated. Much better than Hyatt, at least based on my experience. Now if only Marriott can do something about Sheraton.
KRSW likes this.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Nov 5, 2018 at 6:19 am
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the OP is legacy SPG LTP with 735 nights (and automatically ten SPG Plat years, although the OP seems a bit garbled as one cannot be legacy MR LTP with *only* 735 nights), I would strongly advise doing 15 more nights by the end of the year in order to get LTPP during the January sweep in the new combined program.

Beyond this, for leisure stays in luxury hotels, the free agent route might be good using AmEx PTS FHR (with an AmEx Plat card, or the slightly better program for Centurion cardholders), Virtuoso, etc. The Plat card also gives Gold status with Hilton, which is good for free breakfast and a few upgrades although not guaranteed lounge access at Hiltons. Later on, lifetime status can be used at Starriott if the company ever improves or as a fallback.

Given the limited Hyatt footprint, doing 55-60 nights for Glob is difficult, especially compared to 75 SPG and now Starriott nights unless OP has long or repeated stays in locations with good Hyatt choices.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:25 am
BCH
Original Poster

These are some interesting options. It seems to me that Hilton is in the position to provide a real alternative to Marriott both in terms of its footprint (most hotels in the big U.S. cities), elite benefits, and points earnings.

Do any of the Hilton Diamond FTers here have any insight on the suite upgrade successes? It doesn't seem that Hilton offers a confirmed suite upgrade voucher similar to Hyatt and SPG/Marriott to its top-tier elites.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
I got the Aspire card this summer and I am very pleasantly surprised by Hilton's program and customer service. I would never have thought I'd say or think that. It's not SPG and quality of hotels vary - so read some reviews before you book. But the elite benefits are pretty decent and in my experience staff and customer service really tries - and that to me is quite important
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Between 2014 and 2017, I flirted with Hyatt and stayed at both full-service and limited-service properties in Washington; Arlington, Virginia; Tampa; Milwaukee; Toronto; Singapore; Guam; Saipan; and San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Obviously, the Park Hyatt properties are in a league of their own. I've heard great things about the Park Hyatt in Vienna, for example.

The limited-service Hyatt properties aren't bad because many are new. I read that Hyatt's fastest growth is coming from limited-service properties because owners can make just as much money as a full-service property but with less overhead.

On the other hand, the Hyatt Regency and Grant Hyatt properties that I stayed at were all kind of disappointing in terms of the rooms. The rooms were fine in 2006 or 2007, but were outdated by a couple of years -- particularly in needing electrical outlets -- by the time I stayed. I remember thinking the bathroom in the junior suite I had at the Grand Hyatt Singapore was overdue for a renovation by at least 10 years. With that said, the service at the full-service Hyatt properties was a little more refined in its execution, though that could because I had more full-service stays in Asia than North America.

I think Marriott has done a commendable job in the last four years getting the Marriott and Renaissance properties updated. Much better than Hyatt, at least based on my experience. Now if only Marriott can do something about Sheraton.
Marriott has big plans for Sheraton which I think will be successful but who knows how long it will take to complete. http://news.marriott.com/2018/06/marriott-international-purchases-1000-room-sheraton-grand-phoenix-for-255-million-advancing-companys-transformation-strategy-for-its-sheraton-brand/
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:34 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Honestly, really honestly, you’re 15 nights short of the once-only Lifetime Platinum Premier and whilst I appreciate you’re spitting mad about Marriott right now, your next choice will have shortcomings. And Marriott will get itself back on track. Leaving when things become intolerable is the right thing to do, but it would be unwise to burn your boats here. The chances are due to location, you’ll end up tempted to make some Marriott stays in the future and having LTPP will make those stays better. Let’s face it, these current woes have to end otherwise Marriott itself will end up vulnerable to predators. One way or another things are going to improve, and it would be a dreadful pity if for want of 15 nights now you weren’t LTPP when when you need it. Me, well I’ve been frustrated by the problems and cut back on my Marriott stays this year, for the first time ever I’ll have more IHG nights than Marriott. But if I were you, I’d make the 15 nights this year with Marriott and make the move over to Hilton in 2019 who offer a Diamond match to Marriott Plats.
MSPeconomist and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Yep. If Hyatt works for you great, but, as an example, there isn't a full-service Hyatt property in Detroit or any of its suburbs. There isn't a single Hyatt property, neither limited-service nor full-service, in Brussels, the capital of the European Union and arguably most important European city for business outside London and Frankfurt. There also isn't one in Rome. Meanwhile, London and Paris each have two Hyatt properties, making upgrades presumably difficult.
You're all over the place with your arguments here.

Detroit, Brussels and Rome as your examples of important business cities? Amsterdam, Milan, Zurich, etc. are all more important cities for business in Europe. Tourists go to Rome. People with EU business go to Brussels but it's mostly politicos. (quick... name a big company based in Brussels...)

Paris has 4 "full service" Hyatts, plus one at the airport. And FWIW I'm always upgraded at the two London hotels.

The problem with these "low footprint" arguments is that it rests upon the base assumption that people choose only ONE chain, and their choice must cover 100% of their travel needs. For an OP with lifetime status and/or a Hilton credit card option, there's absolutely nothing at all wrong with staying at Hyatts wherever possible, with a back-up status for elsewhere.
CIT85, MSPeconomist and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Marriott has big plans for Sheraton which I think will be successful but who knows how long it will take to complete. Marriott International Purchases 1,000-Room Sheraton Grand Phoenix For $255 Million, Advancing Company?s Transformation Strategy For Its Sheraton Brand | Marriott News Center
It will be 10 years before Sheraton as a brand is fixed. And by then, the properties being renovated now will be outdated.

Look at Marriott's flagship, namesake brand, Marriott. It's been four or five years since properties started to get renovated with the new look but there are still countless (hundreds?) of properties that need to be updated. It's a never-ending cycle made worse by the fact that Marriott looks the other way on bad properties owned by cheap owners and managed by third-party management companies because they get revenue without having to do anything.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by craigthemif
You're all over the place with your arguments here.

Detroit, Brussels and Rome as your examples of important business cities? Amsterdam, Milan, Zurich, etc. are all more important cities for business in Europe. Tourists go to Rome. People with EU business go to Brussels but it's mostly politicos. (quick... name a big company based in Brussels...)

Paris has 4 "full service" Hyatts, plus one at the airport. And FWIW I'm always upgraded at the two London hotels.

The problem with these "low footprint" arguments is that it rests upon the base assumption that people choose only ONE chain, and their choice must cover 100% of their travel needs. For an OP with lifetime status and/or a Hilton credit card option, there's absolutely nothing at all wrong with staying at Hyatts wherever possible, with a back-up status for elsewhere.
Rome is a huge market for leisure.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think Brussels is an important European business city.

Yes, Detroit is no longer a top 10 city but Hilton, IHG, legacy Marriott, and legacy Starwood all have full-service properties in the city or its suburbs.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:37 am
BCH
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback that so many of you have given.

For better or worse, I decided not to stay those extra 12-13 nights this year to make it to 750 for the lifetime Platinum Premier status. My experience with Marriott has helped me make that decision. And after my final stay this year, I am leaving to try other brands.

And that's not only the IT experience (where, like many people here, I have un-posted stays dating back to October, and incorrect base points and room rates, etc.), but also the benefits experience (where I'll end the year with 9 SNA certificates that couldn't clear, and other issues), and my guest experience on property.

There is nothing that Marriott has done to show that it wants business of travelers like me.

I'm going to status-match and try another hotel group. I have 25 nights already booked in the first 3 months of 2019 that I'm going to book elsewhere. It certainly couldn't be worse.

Thanks again for all your thoughts.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by BCH

For better or worse, I decided not to stay those extra 12-13 nights this year to make it to 750 for the lifetime Platinum Premier status. My experience with Marriott has helped me make that decision. And after my final stay this year, I am leaving to try other brands.

And that's not only the IT experience (where, like many people here, I have un-posted stays dating back to October, and incorrect base points and room rates, etc.), but also the benefits experience (where I'll end the year with 9 SNA certificates that couldn't clear, and other issues), and my guest experience on property.

There is nothing that Marriott has done to show that it wants business of travelers like me.

I'm going to status-match and try another hotel group. I have 25 nights already booked in the first 3 months of 2019 that I'm going to book elsewhere. It certainly couldn't be worse.

Good luck, see you back here in a year or so.
Newman and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

should get lifetime to get suite upgrades at marriott upscale brands

otherwise 'betting' will never return to marriott for rest of life, for example what if attending wedding or business event at an upscale marriott property that is the best or one of the best properties (and or others sold out etc) in the greater area

there is no competitor (nothing even remotely close) in terms of upscale

note 2 US waldorf reflags this year were both after respective hotels were sold

and waldorf new york could easily change flags/owners after condos all sold

if boycott (not difficult IMHO) >
- for business you can pick any
- for leisure skip biggest chains and programs entirely (many do this)
one possible exception to skipping programs - global hotel alliance

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 15, 2018 at 3:01 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BCH

Yippie!! ^

The more Plats and Plat Premiers that leave the new Marriott/Starwood/Ritz Carlton alliance, those of us who remain will be that much better off.
I'm thoroughly enjoying all the extra elbow room on the upper deck of the SS Starriott.
However, I agree with flying_donkeys12. You'll be back; and in less than a year. Much less.
Like all of the other malcontents and chronic whiners, you'll soon find out the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the septic tank

Newman
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.