Wiki Posts
Search

Why Starwood sold?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Vince ... you tend to ask interesting questions that are more appropriate for a business school study. If you ask why it was sold, its in the deal documents I posted describing why the board of directors exercised their fiduciary duties after hiring expensive business consultants to advise them. You'll notice that those deal documents are very different than the feelings stated on this board from a small group of frequent travelers.

So when you ask questions about why a merger took place, we can offer our perspective from a travelers basis which might be different that the professional perspective we bring to the table. You're asking questions that might be be a more appropriate topic for an MBA program.

Of course, some of us have identified issues in other threads regarding communication/integration/planning that may well be the topic of an MBA program 5-10 years from now ... but that's a different thread ....

I agree with you but... I do believe that people in FT are more wealthy and influential than other 80% people booking through OTA. And from what I seen here, a lot more people praise and prefer starwood over marriott family hotels.

By the 20/80 rules, if most of such Plat and frequent flyers prefer starwood, then Marriott should be the one to failed. We heard so many good things about SPG, how luxury or interesting its brand was, but reality is that this company is probably losing money and to be sold. How ironic and doesn't make sense. I want to know why such a contrast.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I think a lot of us care. We invested a lot of our time and travels with a company that in turn invested a lot of time listening and engaging us. (There are endless threads about these gatherings, events, etc. in the original SPG forum) Obviously the OP's question is one for the dealmakers and BOD of each company, but with what appears to be rocky integration I think this is a fair (if moot since it can't be un-done) question to ask from the customer standpoint.
^
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier

Because a loyalty program is not a major revenue stream, mostly just a cost center. Marriott and Starwood’s core business is to manage hotels and resorts for real estate developers and investors and licensing their brands and know-how. Apparently, Starwood was not very good at that.

So if I may, made a possible conclusion from your statement, ( just one of the many possible reason)

A: SPG knows how to create fascinating hotel brands and imagine.

B.But not good at managing all the franchiser, so faild at keeping consistency. Also fails at limited service brands.

And Marriott in the opposite side?

Another question comes to my mind is that Hyatt also having the same problem that SPG had, a very limited footprint in the world , mostly only full service hotel outside of North America. But Hyatt survived well, at least for now. So there must be some other thing are wrong with starwood, I 'm dying to know.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Vince Chan
So if I may, made a possible conclusion from your statement, ( just one of the many possible reason)

A: SPG knows how to create fascinating hotel brands and imagine.

B.But not good at managing all the franchiser, so faild at keeping consistency. Also fails at limited service brands.

And Marriott in the opposite side?

Another question comes to my mind is that Hyatt also having the same problem that SPG had, a very limited footprint in the world , mostly only full service hotel outside of North America. But Hyatt survived well, at least for now. So there must be some other thing are wrong with starwood, I 'm dying to know.
I didn’t say either A or B. I just said that a well-liked loyalty program is not a huge money maker in the hospitality industry. Licensing and franchising to small hotel owners seems to be where the big money is to be made — see Accor, Marriott or Hilton.

Rumour was — though I can’t say if this is true — that Starwood was only turning profits because it was selling all its real estate holdings.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I'm not sure you'd agree if you're an investor:

Stock prices
Jan 2015:
Hyatt $59.56
Marriott $77.75

Today:
Hyatt $71.59
Marriott $121.09

So Hyatt stock is up 20.2% while Marriott stock is up 55.7%.

Maybe all of that difference is simply because of the value inherent in the Starwood brand that was folded into the merged company. Or maybe it's for all of the reasons mentioned in the deal documents that C17PSGR linked. I suspect it's the latter.
I like Hyatt. They have very good management at the hotel level. But, they have the same limited footprint problem as legacy SPG and the same problem with not enough limited service properties.

I agree with you but... I do believe that people in FT are more wealthy and influential than other 80% people booking through OTA. And from what I seen here, a lot more people praise and prefer starwood over marriott family hotels.

By the 20/80 rules, if most of such Plat and frequent flyers prefer starwood, then Marriott should be the one to failed. We heard so many good things about SPG, how luxury or interesting its brand was, but reality is that this company is probably losing money and to be sold. How ironic and doesn't make sense. I want to know why such a contrast.
Here's an easy explanation: There are a limited number of posters on FT. There are certainly vocal members on FT who strongly liked SPG.. You can't extrapolate the limited number of people on FT for your statement that "most Plat and frequent flyers prefer Starwood" One thing, of course, that some liked about SPG is that you could qualify as a Plat with two stays/nights a month (OK plus one).

If you want to look at it, I suggest you look at the 10Ks for Starwood, Marriott, and other chains and review the discussion of what percentage of their guests are elite members of loyalty programs. If frequent travelers generally (as opposed our population on FT) preferred Starwood, there would be lots of objective data points.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
No, the reality is SPG had (IIRC) something like $500MM of (positive) net income each of the three years leading up to the merger...it was not losing money, it just didn't have the properties to grow in limited service, which was more on trend.

There are no shortage of very large, oligopolistic, highly mediocre companies with poor CS...Marriott is now a great example of one.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Did anyone else know who started the thread just by reading the title?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
The OP's initial question is based on flawed logic. The decision on when to sell the company and to whom is not made by the customer. It is made by the shareholder. Two distinctly different bodies, with different expectations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.