Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Starwood sold?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Maybe we can all agree that it would have been better for EVERYONE if Hyatt and Starwood had merged.
Agreed - Starwood loyals could have actually kept enjoying good customer service
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
Why they sold is simple. Profit.
And that should be the end of the discussion. They are a business. They have a responsibility to profit their shareholders.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Maybe we can all agree that it would have been better for EVERYONE if Hyatt and Starwood had merged.
Agreed - Starwood loyals could have actually kept enjoying good customer service
You obviously haven't visited the Hyatt forum recently. I'll take Marriott over the WoH debacle any day.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by kavok
Unfortunately IHG wanted no part of the deal... but at that point SPG had already sold the investors on the merger idea. So they had to look to other partners.
That's just not accurate. Frits "resigned" as CEO in February 2015. His resignation predated any discussion with IHG and was tied to the board's dissatisfaction with the company's inability to adequately grow the limited service/mid-tier business to a critical mass. Frits was never replaced by a CEO committed to independently operating the company and the company was for sale by early 2015. Obviously, any responsible board would shop the company to Marriott, IHG, Hyatt, Hilton and others.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I agree, too. I think Hyatt has the most consistent customer service--it feels like their employees are slightly better trained. Joining with Starwood would've made a company that would be highly competitive with Marriott and IHG. And the Starwood brands seemed to match up better to Hyatt IMHO. Now we have a mega-company that's in a different class than its competitors.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hotturnip
I agree, too. I think Hyatt has the most consistent customer service--it feels like their employees are slightly better trained. Joining with Starwood would've made a company that would be highly competitive with Marriott and IHG. And the Starwood brands seemed to match up better to Hyatt IMHO. Now we have a mega-company that's in a different class than its competitors.
What do you mean with regarding to” different class than its competitors “?

Can an you explain a little more?

And which is the competition you are referring to?

Hilton? Hyatt?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Could you explain more why you even care, especially a few years after the fact?

Cheers.
C17PSGR and sdsearch like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by ucfjoe
Why they sold is simple. Profit. Why they sold to Marriott over Hyatt which offered more is a better question.
An even better question is why Virgin America sold to Alaska, when Jetblue was obviously the better choice (complementary routes, all-fleet Airbus). But it all boils down to money. Nobody cares about how the company will do, the customers, the employees.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Vince Chan

What do you mean with regarding to” different class than its competitors “?

Can an you explain a little more?

And which is the competition you are referring to?

Hilton? Hyatt?
Vince ... you tend to ask interesting questions that are more appropriate for a business school study. If you ask why it was sold, its in the deal documents I posted describing why the board of directors exercised their fiduciary duties after hiring expensive business consultants to advise them. You'll notice that those deal documents are very different than the feelings stated on this board from a small group of frequent travelers.

So when you ask questions about why a merger took place, we can offer our perspective from a travelers basis which might be different that the professional perspective we bring to the table. You're asking questions that might be be a more appropriate topic for an MBA program.

Of course, some of us have identified issues in other threads regarding communication/integration/planning that may well be the topic of an MBA program 5-10 years from now ... but that's a different thread ....
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Could you explain more why you even care, especially a few years after the fact?

Cheers.
I think a lot of us care. We invested a lot of our time and travels with a company that in turn invested a lot of time listening and engaging us. (There are endless threads about these gatherings, events, etc. in the original SPG forum) Obviously the OP's question is one for the dealmakers and BOD of each company, but with what appears to be rocky integration I think this is a fair (if moot since it can't be un-done) question to ask from the customer standpoint.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:24 am

I wouldn't be surprised in the coming years if for example Hilton and Hyatt merged or IHG and Hyatt.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: Hyatt / SPG
I miss Starwood:(

Marriott ruined SPG!!!!
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by s0ssos
An even better question is why Virgin America sold to Alaska, when Jetblue was obviously the better choice (complementary routes, all-fleet Airbus). But it all boils down to money. Nobody cares about how the company will do, the customers, the employees.
Hyatt literally offered more money than Marriott to buy SPG. That was my point. On the surface that runs contrary to just “money.” The why can be debated a bit but the overriding theme was one or more SPG board members had a personal history of not liking the Pritzker family. In the end I think they were only off by a Billion so it’s not that big of a deal in the end.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I'm not sure you'd agree if you're an investor:

Stock prices
Jan 2015:
Hyatt $59.56
Marriott $77.75

Today:
Hyatt $71.59
Marriott $121.09

So Hyatt stock is up 20.2% while Marriott stock is up 55.7%.

Maybe all of that difference is simply because of the value inherent in the Starwood brand that was folded into the merged company. Or maybe it's for all of the reasons mentioned in the deal documents that C17PSGR linked. I suspect it's the latter.
C17PSGR likes this.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Nov 2, 2018 at 7:23 am
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
How do you come to this conclusion? Profitable companies are acquired quite often. In fact, more profitable companies tend to be great acquisition targets. Being quite profitable is what caused Marriott to want to purchase SPG.

All it says is that Marriott's valuation of the present value of accretive profitability from the addition of SPG to the company resulted in an offer that was greater than SPG's shareholders' valuation of the present value of future profitability by standing alone.

Acquisition and valuation has absolutely noting to do with a comparison to the present business. If I'm making a million dollars per customer in profit and I can acquire a company that makes half a million in net profit per customer for a cost of only 100K per customer, I'm certainly going to do it. I'll take 2 million customers at 750K per customer profit over 1 million customers at 1M per customer profit any day. I spend money, not margin percentage. $1.5B is better than $1B in my book.
Correct, I should not have said they weren't profitable, just less profitable. Good correction.

I disagree. It might have been better for you. I've had no post-merger issues after the first week. I have more properties in more places to stay now. I instantly earned LT Gold, and will earn LT Plat in the next few months -- when I was years away from this under the old Marriott program. I'll earn the Suite upgrades now.

And some SPG customers win too. At the very least they can now stay at hotels affiliated with their loyalty program in many more locations where there was no SPG before, or it wasn't convenient. That may not matter to you, but it does to a lot of business travelers.

Sometimes all customers lose in a merger. This is most certainly not one of those mergers.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.

Since you are being that kind to me of course I can explain to you:

A: SPG along with Hyatt is the two names that frequent flyers over the internet praise the most in the industry. It looks like everything Hyatt and old SPG done is right.

Since most people prefer Starwood so much, and many criticized Marriott a lot , to me, it doesn't make sense at all that Marriott to acquired SPG. If, there is really such a thing as " influential" and "wealthy" guest prefer stayed at SPG hotels over Marriott, and IF, marriott family brands is really that boring or unattractive, SPG being young and fun and artful, Marriott should be the one to be sold in the market because more people prefer to stay at SPG over Marriott, unless the average costing of running a SPG hotel is incredibly higher than a Marriott, SPG should be more profitable than Marriott.

The situational over the internet is that people praise and love sPG over Marriott, however the reality is that Marriott is more profitable, (also form JD power each year, most Marriott Brands earned a higher guest satisfaction rate than SPG), probably more successful in terms of managing hotel, the reality is in the opposite site comparing to fT here, this is so weird and fascinating to me.

Another question is that since influential and Plat here in FT praise SPG a lot more than Marriott, how come that Marriott earn a significantly higher guest satisfaction rate than SPG by JD Power(unless Marriott paying to them).

B. Why ever since Marriott acquired starwood, the current trand over the internet is to praise Hyatt and keeping mentioned how good Hyatt was, I don't get it. Do they really feel this way? Or just follow what other said?

why would sPG want to merged with Hyatt? If, Starwood's problem is its limited service hotel presence. You can barely find much Hyatt in Europe, also not much limited service brand in Asia.

I stayed at PH Tokyo this year to be frankly there is no difference for me when it comes to Hyatt or Hilton or Marriott chain, they are all the same. But there is a difference to me when it comes to IHG, wyndham or days inn.

I am not standing in Marriott's side or anyone's side, I genuine would want to know why such a hotel company and brands to be loved by so many people, failed( yes, failed).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.