Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

So close to Platinum: Need strategy to cross the finish line

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Poster

I have exactly 40 nights of Marriott stays so far this year, not counting the 15 nights of elite credit I'll get with my Chase Marriott Rewards Signature Visa. Unfortunately, Chase says Marriott only posts those award nights 6-8 weeks AFTER I renew the card on my anniversary date. My anniversary date is on or around November 15th.

Chase won't allow me to pre-pay the renewal fee. Consequently, Marriott doesn't have to give me the 15 nights until January. My guess is that they probably won't credit those nights until they absolutely have to. I don't want my 40 nights to count for nothing when I'm only 10 nights away from Plat.

All of my business travel is finished for the rest of the year. A 10-night "mattress run" seems like too much money and effort to be realistic. I could really use some advice on this. Are there any steps I can take to make sure I get those final nights needed?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:30 am

IME having had the card for 5 years now, the elite nights credit within a couple days of anniversary.
Having said that, not sure after the merger and the issuance of new program cards.
i would just wait until November before going on a mattress run.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I agree with myperks. In the past, credit card elite nights have always posted promptly. I suggest waiting until a week after your renewal date before pressing the panic button.
Travelosopher likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Texan4life
A 10-night "mattress run" seems like too much money and effort to be realistic.
I would certainly agree, given that new Plat is old Gold with no lounge access or anything particularly special. From a financial perspective, you'd have to stay most of next year in Marriott rooms for the additional points earnings to be worth such an expense.

As for the nights posting quickly, I'm pretty sure that's been my experience in the past, too. But that was back in the day when stays usually posted without intervention, phones were answered within the hour, reservations could be made online - you know, all that fancy stuff.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I would certainly agree, given that new Plat is old Gold with no lounge access or anything particularly special. From a financial perspective, you'd have to stay most of next year in Marriott rooms for the additional points earnings to be worth such an expense.
Plat (50 nights) has lounge access - that was my SPG level, now my Starriott level, and I’ve experienced no changes as it relates to lounges. Is there something I’m missing?
Markie likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I have exactly 40 nights of Marriott stays so far this year, not counting the 15 nights of elite credit I'll get with my Chase Marriott Rewards Signature Visa. Unfortunately, Chase says Marriott only posts those award nights 6-8 weeks AFTER I renew the card on my anniversary date. My anniversary date is on or around November 15th.

Chase won't allow me to pre-pay the renewal fee. Consequently, Marriott doesn't have to give me the 15 nights until January. My guess is that they probably won't credit those nights until they absolutely have to. I don't want my 40 nights to count for nothing when I'm only 10 nights away from Plat.

All of my business travel is finished for the rest of the year. A 10-night "mattress run" seems like too much money and effort to be realistic. I could really use some advice on this. Are there any steps I can take to make sure I get those final nights needed?
Originally Posted by meagicano

Plat (50 nights) has lounge access - that was my SPG level, now my Starriott level, and I’ve experienced no changes as it relates to lounges. Is there something I’m missing?
In fact you are correct here - it's the new Gold that drops lounge access. Sorry 'bout that all. For reference:

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/member-benefits.mi
meagicano and Thunderroad like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, IHG Platinum, National Executive
It’s probably worth sitting down and figuring out if the cost is worth it.
2 x 5 night stays at a category 1 hotel will cost 30,000 points each, 60,000 total if you’d rather spend points.

I dont see rooms much cheaper than $85/night with taxes, so you’re probably looking to spend ~$1000 minimum.

Do you plan on gaining 60,000 point or $1000 worth of benefit from being platinum? If the answer is no, probably not worth it.

This is is how I decide to mattress run or not.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:18 pm

A 10-night "mattress run" seems like too much money and effort to be realistic. I could really use some advice on this. Are there any steps I can take to make sure I get those final nights needed?
Have you held a "meeting" yet? 10 nights right there...
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
My business travel appears done as well, so I'm going to visit relatives for the holidays, four nites at Thanksgiving and four at Christmas. You can make those reservations and see if your credit card nites post, which hopefully will occur just before Thanksgiving.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I value concierge access at around $25 a night. Breakfast is usually worth $15, and a bit of food at night or some dessert, plus beverages throughout the day, and I get $25. So, at 40 nights, you are about breaking even from a dollar perspective.

One thing - are you currently at 50-night status from last year? If so, if you're at 40 nights, chances are high that you will retain Plat (old Gold) status for this year. My experience - and many others - is that you will keep your status if you're fairly close to making it and/or you exceeded the requirements for the next lowest tier. That was my case when I was regular old Platinum. Some years I made 75 nights, others I didn't but always did over 50. I was Plat for 15 years that way and probably only exceeded 75 nights 8 or 9 times.
silvervknight likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
A cheap meeting should do it...

But given you're willing to do credit cards, I would give Marriott a wide berth, get the Hilton card and switch chains.

Marriott is currently a disaster, with no willingness to communicate or throw massive resource at solving issues. Some people feel invested in their current status / points balance / etc. and figure "I'll just hang on for awhile longer". But if you're not yet Platinum, I would just skip the hassle and move on...
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for some very good advice and insights....

Do you plan on gaining 60,000 point or $1000 worth of benefit from being platinum?
It's very likely that I will come close to that: Lounge access will be especially valuable on a planned leisure trip to Europe next spring. Unlike most US lounges, European Marriott lounges serve spreads that are so lavish they actually replace several meals. Good wine and beer flow freely. Easily worth $75 a day compared to breakfasts, lunches, and libation in London and Munich.

One thing - are you currently at 50-night status from last year?
Unfortunately no.

I suggest waiting until a week after your renewal date before pressing the panic button.
A good suggestion in theory. But a week after my renewal date takes me just about to December. That leaves me just a month to do a 10-night mattress run. Even if I thought the cost was worth the Platinum benefit next year, my work and other demands make 10 nights in one month impractical.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
5 nights at a Ritz gives you 10 nights as Ritz nights count double. If you live near Modor on the Potomac, the Tyson's or Pentagon Ritzs have good prices in Nov. and Dec. weekends.
As that you are a 'Texan for life', check out the Dallas Ritz

Last edited by GrandOldTurkey; Oct 21, 2018 at 3:20 pm Reason: adding additional line
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by GrandOldTurkey
5 nights at a Ritz gives you 10 nights as Ritz nights count double.

Do we know if that will continue with the combined program next year? I need to factor that into my stay strategy moving forward...
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:04 pm

My anniversary date was last week, October 16 and the nights and certificate posted the next day on the 17th. The annual fee hasn’t even been charged yet, guessing that will show up this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.