FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1935186-marriott-lifetime-elite-status-general-discussion-master-thread.html)

margarita girl Aug 30, 2018 4:16 am

Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 30146801)
If I choose the elite night benefits for my 50 and 75 night benefit, do those nights count toward my lifetime night total?

With SPG, the answer was no.

funkbandit Aug 30, 2018 6:18 am

If I choose the elite night benefits for my 50 and 75 night benefit, do those nights count toward my lifetime night total?

With MR any night credit - however awarded - counted towards lifetime nights. Even rollover nights.
(Years ago point/certificate redemption nights wouldn't be awarded and thus didn't count towards the lifetime total).

swag Aug 30, 2018 6:44 am

No. From the new terms & conditions section 4.3.c.vi.E.1:

E. Five Elite Night Credits

(1) Upon an eligible Platinum Elite Member selecting the Five Elite Night Credits as his/her Annual Choice Benefit, the Platinum Member will have his/her Member account credited with five (5) bonus Elite Nights which count toward earning Elite status only. These bonus Elite Nights do not count toward Lifetime status. Elite Nights and Elite membership status are subject to the Program Rules in section 4.2.b.

tennisboy Aug 31, 2018 9:51 am

getting to lifetime/what counts as pts

I am currently at 681 lifetime nights and 1.86M points. (and only 6 years at platinum).

If I get 750 nights and 2M points by 12/31, that roll me into Lifetime Premier Platinum for 2019 (since I would have qualified for Lifetime Plat by 2018), correct?

And what qualifies for lifetime points -- all points earned (incl. bonuses) at hotels, as well as Marriott Visa credit card spend?

swag Aug 31, 2018 10:05 am

Originally Posted by tennisboy (Post 30152290)
And what qualifies for lifetime points -- all points earned (incl. bonuses) at hotels, as well as Marriott Visa credit card spend?

Points transferred or merged from SPG do not count.

I also seem trio recall Lurker saying that points earned from post-Aug-18 stays in legacy SPG brands won't count, check the thread in the SPG forum to verify.

Other than that, all points should count.

CzarZ Sep 1, 2018 6:16 am

I have save the chat history but then SPG rep confirming that merging accounts would allow SPG points to count towards Marriott lifetime status.

mciampa Sep 1, 2018 9:37 am

Originally Posted by CzarZ (Post 30155216)
I have save the chat history but then SPG rep confirming that merging accounts would allow SPG points to count towards Marriott lifetime status.

What about SPG nights?

sdsearch Sep 1, 2018 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by mciampa (Post 30155738)
What about SPG nights?

To know all this would require either a way to bring up a legacy Marriott lifetime status counter, or T&Cs that clearly spell this out. We seem to have neither at this point.

SPG nights count toward new status (which is years and lifetime nights), and that's easy to tell online, but the legacy Marriott lifetime info disappeared a day or two after Aug 18 (i twas temporarily visible after the changeover). Without that coming back, it's hard to know (through experiments) what counts and what doesn't.

UA-NYC Sep 1, 2018 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 30156249)
To know all this would require either a way to bring up a legacy Marriott lifetime status counter, or T&Cs that clearly spell this out. We seem to have neither at this point.

SPG nights count toward new status (which is years and lifetime nights), and that's easy to tell online, but the legacy Marriott lifetime info disappeared a day or two after Aug 18 (i twas temporarily visible after the changeover). Without that coming back, it's hard to know (through experiments) what counts and what doesn't.

Reason #87 why this combination midyear was asinine

(btw I wonder if one calls Marriott, and can actually get through, if they would be able to find out about LT points generated...)

FindAWay Sep 1, 2018 11:04 pm

For those curious about their lifetime points totals post 8/18 - see this post and the linked discussion: https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/09/01/...ill-available/

jeanie Sep 2, 2018 12:27 am

Originally Posted by FindAWay (Post 30157421)
For those curious about their lifetime points totals post 8/18 - see this post and the linked discussion: https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/09/01/...ill-available/

Thanks!

rny321 Sep 2, 2018 8:11 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 30156249)

Since people can still earn annual status in both SPG and MR rewards this year, there should be a way to track nights in each program. Also, if combined nights don't count for either the SPG or MR grandfathered lifetime levels, then there would need to be a way to track SPG and MR nights separately. On the other hand, If combined nights count for lifetime status, then, except for 2018 stays, there is no need for a separate counter for each program .

dmodemd Sep 2, 2018 10:08 am

It would be nice if there was a way to see detail around lifetime years (which years specifically). I submitted a case to see why mine are showing low but I figure it will be awhile before I hear anything back. No corrections yet.

Ord Liza Sep 2, 2018 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by dmodemd (Post 30158600)
It would be nice if there was a way to see detail around lifetime years (which years specifically). I submitted a case to see why mine are showing low but I figure it will be awhile before I hear anything back. No corrections yet.

I'm in the same boat; it's very frustrating. My count is significantly lower than I expected and I can't figure out a consistently applied set of rules that would explain mine.

pvn Sep 2, 2018 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ord Liza (Post 30159282)
I'm in the same boat; it's very frustrating. My count is significantly lower than I expected and I can't figure out a consistently applied set of rules that would explain mine.

The explanation is that "it's messed up".

If you are being denied benefits, then call in immediately, but if you're not, and this is just a matter of you expecting X and seeing Y, with no practical effect, just wait a bit, it will get corrected.