Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Should Marriott hire a Crisis Management Agency?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should Marriott hire a Crisis Management Agency?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:13 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CPRich
As an "IT Professional" with 25 years of doing conversions, migrations, etc., for F100 companies, I can assure you that every single one of them went through at least 8 mock conversions, often more, and at least 2 passes with no significant issues.

Not once did the actual go-live run without significant unexpected issues.

This is worse than many, not as bad as some. But to just say "they should have tested it until it worked" and thinking that means it would have worked flawlessly, simply isn't realistic.

And no, getting the work done and effectively communication are certainly not mutually exclusive.

A "a Crisis Management Agency" would probably just slow things down. And everyone here would complain that "all they're doing is PR, why don't they fix it".
Well, 30 years here doing support and installations and project management with the company I was talking about. And 5 years doing development before that at different companies. Maybe we had better people? Because we had some near perfect upgrades to new systems. Yes, sometimes there was problems, but never on this level of hairball. OK, maybe we did once or twice. But we backed it out immediately. They couldn't have tested this completely. If they did their QA department needs to big talking to. I suspect they were madly making changes up to the last minute and rushing them in. That's not good project management.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that Marriott is building a brand new IT infrastructure, but that it isn't ready yet (and never had a chance of being ready by August).
If so, it is absolutely insane for them to have merged on the old infrastructure, rather than migrating everything onto the new system.

It's possible they got very bad advice from consultants who only pretended they knew what they were talking about. That definitely happens. It's also possible Marriott management completely screwed the pooch here.
Originally Posted by stc
I suspect they were madly making changes up to the last minute and rushing them in. That's not good project management.
I don't think there's any question but that's exactly what was happening.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
I imagine no one in this forum ever had the (dis)pleasure of surviving an ERP change to SAP?

Deapite running in parallel for months, we still managed to drop $21 million in sales because our production and shipping systems were in rough shape after we flipped the switch.

These things happen and my old company is still thriving. You know what they say about omelette and eggs.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
So shutting down the Plat customer service desk so that the transition could go more smoothly didn't pay off? Shocker there.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think Marriott's crisis management approach is to just have a bunch of cowboys shooting from the hip. It seems to be working great.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
As an "IT Professional" with 25 years of doing conversions, migrations, etc., for F100 companies, I can assure you that every single one of them went through at least 8 mock conversions, often more, and at least 2 passes with no significant issues.
...but that's not what happened here. It appears Marriott IT didn't use/have a workbench system to play with. All of the changes appear to have been made on the live, production system. For example, look at the fake Empower/Antarctica hotel listings on the production site. With all of the issues, why did they press forward? Even if you are running the production system, when you hit problems this large, roll it back, re-work it, and roll it out the improved version. I'd agree that some level of migration issues are acceptable, but this is well beyond that.

Perhaps I was raised/trained differently. At my first real job, I remember the chief engineer telling me, "It better work the first time, every time, even in the middle of a Cat 5 hurricane." Tons of testing, even flat-out abuse to the equipment and systems. This also meant not trusting anyone else to do what they said they would. ~25 years & multiple Cat 4 hurricanes later, these facilities never went down. Some of the 25 year old systems are still in use.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Chewie
I imagine no one in this forum ever had the (dis)pleasure of surviving an ERP change to SAP?

I did! I remember people saying that SAP was the Germans' revenge for WWII.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.