Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard in Europe says $10 F+B credit for elites must be consumed by midnight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:59 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I have just checked into a Courtyard in Europe for a one night stay. I have been told by both the check in clerk and the front office supervisor that the $10 food and beverage credit must be used by midnight. It cannot be used for breakfast. The ladies are both very pleasant but are adamant that this policy has been consistently applied across all the European Courtyards, that it was part of their webinar training. Can anyone show me the written policy that supports this interpretation?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I have just checked into a Courtyard in Europe for a one night stay. I have been told by both the check in clerk and the front office supervisor that the $10 food and beverage credit must be used by midnight. It cannot be used for breakfast. The ladies are both very pleasant but are adamant that this policy has been consistently applied across all the European Courtyards, that it was part of their webinar training. Can anyone show me the written policy that supports this interpretation?
So if one arrives after midnight the benefit does not apply? Nice.
clarkef, KRSW and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Can I say that this seems ridiculous? Because it seems ridiculous.
GalaxyChris and nequine like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:10 am
Original Poster

I've gone to the .pdf that gives all the benefits by brand. They define a day as ending at midnight or 1am when the charge posts for the room. I define a day as to my check in period, from when I check in on day 1 to when I check out on day 2. I was not persuasive. They say their interpretation has been imposed on them by corporate Marriott.

makin'miles and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I've gone to the .pdf that gives all the benefits by brand. They define a day as ending at midnight or 1am when the charge posts for the room. I define a day as to my check in period, from when I check in on day 1 to when I check out on day 2. I was not persuasive. They say their interpretation has been imposed on them by corporate Marriott.

Ok, but this would go against the Master thread on the merged program breakfast rules, which talk about using the $10 credit where there is no Lounge...
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So do we have to check in at 8am at such properties in order to use the credit towards breakfast?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Not sure if this is just a European issue. My first stay at a Courtyard ever last week and had to argue to get charges dropped on my day of departure. I love how this is supposed to be a "breakfast benefit" but apparently can't be used to buy breakfast. )
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
So if they are going to argue it expires at the time charges post, then they need to give you a second credit on the 2nd day, as the above chart says daily, right?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Sounds like they might have a Courtyard brand area/regional manager that is telling hotels to interpret the rules this way. Completely defies logic as it is a breakfast benefit. Normally I would say to take this up with Corporate Customer Service immediately but in this day and age you likely won't get a reply for months considering how they are responding to issues.
karenkay and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I wonder if this is misunderstanding by the hotel of which midnight applies.

For a one-night stay, it would make sense for the credit to expire at midnight of check-out day.

For a multi-night stay, it would make sense for each daily credit to expire each midnight after each night's stay. After all, it's a "per day" credit, not a "length of stay" credit.

But it makes no sense for a credit to expire at midnight of check-in day, when most Platinum guests will want to use it for breakfast.

One would expect the detailed Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions to resolve this issue, but that's not the case:
Courtyard:

United States, Canada, Europe: 500 Points per Stay or U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member +1**

**The U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member +1 is limited to the Member and one (1) guest, as long as the guest is staying in the same guestroom as the Member.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:56 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I have not seen or heard that, but I do believe there is an "intent" for the F&B credit to not be stacked. Each day the $10 would have to be used. So there was probably some statements in the "training" that each day you have until midnight to use it or lose it. Someone at that hotel has probably taken that and then interpreted it to mean that you get $10 (for up to 2 persons per day) starting with the day you check-in (because it is a "Plat welcome gift" or check-in amenity) through the last full day you are staying (i.e. you don't get one on the day you check-out.)
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Which property are we talking about?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Muerz
Which property are we talking about?
Courtyard Sarajevo. The Front Office Supervisor assures me there has been considerable discussion amongst other European Courtyards and this is being consistently applied across them.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I can understand it being good to midnight of the following day, for instance if someone checks in very late, doesn't want breakfast (maybe doesn't want to get up so early after a late arrival), and is checking out (late) the following day, using the credit for a snack beverage after check out would be reasonable.

When alofts have given me welcome drink vouchers, I've sometimes used them at happy hour the following day rather than upon arrival or later than night, depending on my plans.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
How can a company feel like arguing over $10 for their Elite members is really a good idea! All it does is create ill will and pushes people to other brands! Is Marriott really that cheap and low!
username, cruisr, jr1202sr and 9 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.