Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Orange Co., CA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Orange Co., CA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Piggy backing on this thread. Headed to the Newport Coast Villas next week. 2 questions:
1) any recommendation on which building I should request at the Newport Coast Villas
2) we're there for visiting beaches - saw some recommendations in the thread, but open to other beach recommendations nearby

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:32 pm

I can't help you with questions about the Newport Coast Villas, but I can offer my opinion for your second question. Crystal Cove is your closest beach. Not really a place I see laying out all day, but there are walking trails and bike paths. I suggest you make a reservation at The Beachcomber. The food is good and the location great, right on the sand. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner are all good. They stay busy, especially when the weather is nice, and walk ins can experience long waits (don't mistake The Beachcomber on the sand for The Shake Shack up on the highway, which I do not have a high opinion of).

For nice beaches, the best offerings will be heading south into Laguna. You have a number of options there with Thousand Steps being my favorite. Laguna has the most visually stunning beaches. Again though, like with Crystal Cove, not really sure it's an all day at the beach type thing. The weather has been nice this week, it was warm over the weekend and the beach was crowded, but not really enticing to me for a swim in the ocean (then again I just got back from St Barts and when I put my feet in the water here I just about went into shock).

If you're looking for a younger crowd, bars/restaurants, or just more activity based along with a little time at the beach head over to the Balboa Peninsula and grab bikes. On the Balboa Peninsula the bike path runs a couple miles along the beach and goes a lot further if you connect into Huntington Beach. You can cruise along the boardwalk, catch the ferry over to Balboa Island, and grab a frozen banana. You can stop into Cruisers (Balboa Pier) or Mutt's (Newport Pier) or countless others for a drink. You can have a casual lunch at Bear Flag Fish Co. Grab a surfboard if you want to learn at Blackies or move north along the beach if you already know how to surf. Or you can cruise down to the Balboa Fun Zone and rent a boat (sail if you have experience or Duffy) and cruise the harbor.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Wow thanks for all the info. You have me reconsidering staying at the Marriott. With 9 year old maybe balboa peninsula is better than staying in Laguna? If so is there a recommended area on Peninsual that is best?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:34 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HSaxa
Wow thanks for all the info. You have me reconsidering staying at the Marriott. With 9 year old maybe balboa peninsula is better than staying in Laguna? If so is there a recommended area on Peninsual that is best?

One other idea-- we really like the Laguna Cliffs in Dana Point after their recent renovation. They have 2 heated pools and are very near to Doheny State Beach. If you stay there you are really close to a lot of kid friendly places like Dana Harbor. Our grandkids love it there and we have had some fun excursions on Capt Dave's Dolphin and Whale Watching Safari. You would also only be 4 miles south of 1000 Steps Beach-- probably one of the most spectacular beaches I have ever seen.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by HSaxa
Given your stated preference of wanting to visit beaches, I think where you're currently booked with the proximity to Laguna is better. You can make a day trip to Balboa Peninsula. And with a 9 year old I assume the pool at the resort will be a big plus. With a child I'd add checking out the tidepools to your list in Crystal Cove. If a son, watching the skimboaders at Aliso or Victoria Beach in Laguna could be fun for him.

As far as recommended area of Balboa Peninsula for future reference, most of the restaurants/crowds are area of about 18th - 45th street. People, especially during the summer, refer to this area as the war zone. It's crowded, lots of people having BBQs and get togethers on their patios, people passing by on their way to the restaurants/bars, etc. If you like being in the thick of it this is where you want to be. If you don't like crowds, it is not where you want to be. As you move toward the end of the peninsula, and down in the peninsula point area, it is more mellow. It's mostly residential, with exception to area around the Fun Zone and Balboa Pier. If there are big waves at the wedge it draws a crowd to watch, but otherwise the area is more family friendly. During summer weekends, however, if staying at the end of the peninsula it can be a very time consuming effort to get off the peninsula ...
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:03 am

Smile Looking for recommendations after orange county wedding detox

We will be at a wedding in orange county in early september and I am looking for recommendations for the best marriott property to detox/spa/chill after the wedding.
I have not extensively stayed in the area and have the Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach booked at the moment, however:
Would love something with a beautiful view/scenery and a nice spa (sauna/steambath/whirlpool etc) - considering RC Laguna Niguel, Inn at the Mission San Juan Capistrano, Lido House - would love to hear any thoughts/recommendations from this well-travelled group of experts. Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FTDDD
We will be at a wedding in orange county in early september and I am looking for recommendations for the best marriott property to detox/spa/chill after the wedding.
I have not extensively stayed in the area and have the Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach booked at the moment, however:
Would love something with a beautiful view/scenery and a nice spa (sauna/steambath/whirlpool etc) - considering RC Laguna Niguel, Inn at the Mission San Juan Capistrano, Lido House - would love to hear any thoughts/recommendations from this well-travelled group of experts. Thanks!
I'd say if you can afford the RC, stay there. It's a beautiful property on a bluff above Salt Creek beach overlooking the Pacific. My wife and I did a one-night staycation for our anniversary a month ago and absolutely loved it. We booked a garden view room and were upgraded to an ocean view (really, pretty much ocean front) room (I'm Titanium/LTP). But we walked around the property, and really, even the garden view or pool view rooms look quite lovely. And, of course, you're right at the beach if you want to take a dip in the ocean (and Salt Creek is one of OC's best beaches, IMO).

The Inn at Mission SJC is a very nice hotel as well--stayed there one night for a special occasion. It's adjacent to the center of old SJC and right next to the mission. So, if you want to be able to walk out the door and go to the mission, restaurants, bars, etc., it's a good option. However, you're not really going to get much view-wise there. Especially compared to what you might get at the RC. I was able to stay there on points on an expiring free night certificate when I stayed. But, TBH, I'd generally say that the room rate there is a bit overpriced for what you get from the hotel. I'll also note that, at the moment, there's some construction going on next to the hotel, as they're putting in a new In-N-Out Burger just down the street. Was down there on Friday, and one lane of traffic was blocked on Del Obispo, one of the streets next to the hotel, due to the construction.

Can't comment on the Renaissance AV or the Lido, as I've never stayed at either. Aliso Viejo, however, strikes me as more of a residential area with some offices, right off the toll road (I'm a former resident of AV). So, you'd definitely want to have a care if you're staying there.

Full disclosure, I live in south OC, about 10 minutes from SJC and about 20 minutes from Dana Point (where the RC is) and Aliso Viejo. So, very familiar with the area.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 11:40 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Aas a fellow SoOrCo resident, I agree with most of eeebee's comments. I agree with the Inn at the Mission being in a great location (and much closer to a beach than the Renaissance), but no view, and local traffic can be bad, but that clears up pretty nearby. It's a beautiful hotel with a good restaurant and I've heard good things about the spa. I'd also suggest the RC if budgets are not limited
Old Aug 8, 2023, 8:16 am

Eeebee - thank you so much for the detailed response. This is extremely valuable information. Sounds like the RC is the way to go.

Any thoughts on the Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa?

Mods --- thanks for moving topic to the appropriate thread, sorry I missed it initially.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 8:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage, WN RapidRewards, DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Free night redemption over Thanksgiving

Hey hivemind,

Going to visit my sister and her family in Huntington Beach for Turkey Day. I have 2 of 3 remaining CC welcome bonus nights remaining. I can use those at rooms that cost up to 50,000 points. Don't need anything too fancy, just clean and modern, hopefully with a pool and free parking.

So far the only one that looks to have free parking is the Courtyard Costa Mesa South. Has anyone stayed there? Any other similar hotels I should consider?

TIA!!
Old Nov 8, 2023, 8:05 am

We recently stayed at both the Lido House and the Inn at the Mission over Memorial Day weekend, so I want to provide some data points.
I think both properties are at the very top end of the market and can only get away with their prices because its OC. Rates were in the 600-800/night range.

The Lido House is a beautiful property, excellent location, breakfast was terrific. The rooftop bar is a major party spot.
Excellent service at the pool and good crowd, tactful day party, however, comes at a steep price. Also have a small outdoor whirlpool.
Definitely a younger SoCal party atmosphere. Lido also provided us beach cruiser bikes to explore Newport Beach. They also rent electric bikes for a fee.

The Inn at the Mission is a bit more dated, also offers great breakfast. Great staff. Very cozy lobby and bar area. They made cruiser bikes available to us and we rode down to Dana Point Harbor (20min each way), you could probably bike to the RC if you want to check out Salt Creek Beach. They also rent electric bikes for a fee. They also give you free tickets to the Mission. And there is an olive oil tasting. We were unable to do any of the two due to time constraints. Lots of families, wedding parties etc. Pool is small, rainy day, we were the only guest enjoying the heated whirlpool.

Parking: To the previous comment inquiring about parking -- I was able to find street parking at both the Lido House and the Inn at the Mission in San Juan Capistrano. There is a parking lot directly across from the Inn which is paid parking but apparently "you should be fine" so not sure how often they check parking tickets. Didn't get a ticket in 3 days.
There are many residential streets within 5min walking of the Lido House but you should plan on spending 10 minutes to find parking. I think valet is priced at close to $80 with taxes etc.

Hope this helps, happy to answer any follow up questions.

Last edited by FTDDD; Nov 8, 2023 at 8:08 am Reason: Added more bike information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.