Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Are AMEX FHR bookings eligible for MR points/nights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are AMEX FHR bookings eligible for MR points/nights?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by clockhand
Latest data point.... Cosmopolitan in Vegas. Booked through FHR. Nothing shows up on marriott.com / app but the check-in agent made 200% sure my Marriott Platinum # was on it. I did get benefits of Platinum (15% off of spa). Nothing posted so far... will submit missing stay if nothing shows up in 2 weeks
Prepaid or paid at the hotel?
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Is Marriott Bonvoy Lurker ever going to clarify the official policy given that their original response in this thread doesn't match the Marriott T&Cs or historical behavior as shown clearly by Kacee? Considering an FHR booking but if it's not an eligible rate there's no point.
EuropeanPete and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:46 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Is Marriott Bonvoy Lurker ever going to clarify the official policy given that their original response in this thread doesn't match the Marriott T&Cs or historical behavior as shown clearly by Kacee? Considering an FHR booking but if it's not an eligible rate there's no point.
Hello nexusCFX! We sincerely apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding here. We can confirm that the American Express FHR rate is a Qualifying Marriott Bonvoy Rate for earning Points, Elite Bonus Points, Elite Night Credit, Lifetime Elite Night Credit and receiving on-property benefits. ^
bhrubin and arjen05 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
Hello nexusCFX! We sincerely apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding here. We can confirm that the American Express FHR rate is a Qualifying Marriott Bonvoy Rate for earning Points, Elite Bonus Points, Elite Night Credit, Lifetime Elite Night Credit and receiving on-property benefits. ^
Thank you!

Is that true for the prepaid AMEX FHR rates as well, or just the pay-at-property rate?
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Thank you!

Is that true for the prepaid AMEX FHR rates as well, or just the pay-at-property rate?
It's valid only for new Fine Hotels & Resorts bookings made through Platinum Travel Service, Business Platinum Travel Service, Centurion Travel Service, americanexpress.com/fhr, any American Express Travel offices or the Agency Services Desk. Payment must be made in full with an American Express Card in the Platinum Card Member's or Centurion® Member’s name.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's valid only for new Fine Hotels & Resorts bookings made through Platinum Travel Service, Business Platinum Travel Service, Centurion Travel Service, americanexpress.com/fhr, any American Express Travel offices or the Agency Services Desk. Payment must be made in full with an American Express Card in the Platinum Card Member's or Centurion® Member’s name.
Thanks, but that does not answer the question.

There are two ways to pay for FHR bookings - prepay via AMEX or at the property. Are the prepaid AMEX bookings Qualifying Rates?
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:45 am

There are two ways to pay for FHR bookings - prepay via AMEX or at the property. Are the prepaid AMEX bookings Qualifying Rates?
As long as the reservation is booked under the "American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts" rate, then you will earn credit.
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:48 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

Marriott won't necessarily know what method you use to pay with Amex--the answer the Lurker provided is actually quite thorough. Your question is actually better directed to Amex to see which method with Amex applies to those accepted as FHR by Marriott.

How it posts to Marriott is how Marriott handles it--that isn't a Marriott issue, that's an Amex issue. If it posts to Marriott via FHR channels, it counts towards Marriott status as the Lurker indicated. If it doesn't post to Marriott via FHR channels, it won't. Amex controls that, not Marriott.
smgainey likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:12 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

I typically don’t use prepaid bookings but a recent targeted Amex offer was too good to pass up:

By prepaying I earned 5x points on my booking PLUS 16,000 bonus points. As a result, booking my $800 stay at the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel allowed me to take home an all-in total of 20,000 Amex points- which I value at between $400 and $500. (My 16K posted right away)

Once my stay posted I also earned Marriott nights and points as well.

And as a bonus, as an Ambassador I received an amazing Suite Upgrade- making this one of my best offers in awhile.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
I typically don’t use prepaid bookings but a recent targeted Amex offer was too good to pass up
I always pre-pay FHR if it's offered. The cancel rules are the same.

And yes that was a fantastic offer. Just earned over 27k MR at the Langham.
damon88 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
As long as the reservation is booked under the "American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts" rate, then you will earn credit.

Still not sure I know the answer ...as it is, I wont prepay since the 5x AMEX points are not worth as much as the MR points I earned as an Ambassador.

But, we don't have many reports here of people earning both on prepaid rates.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:55 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Still not sure I know the answer ...as it is, I wont prepay since the 5x AMEX points are not worth as much as the MR points I earned as an Ambassador.

But, we don't have many reports here of people earning both on prepaid rates.

I thought I just did confirm-

received Amex points and Marriott points per usual
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:10 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by damon88
I thought I just did confirm-

received Amex points and Marriott points per usual
I think the key is one must book via Amex FHR--however AMEX qualifies that (not Marriott). And Amex must post/code the transaction to Marriott as FHR for it to count towards normal Bonvoy status/benefits/elite nights/points--just as stated by the Lurker.

Marriott isn't responsible for how Amex codes/posts transactions to them. As long as Amex codes/posts the transactions to Marriott as FHR then Marriott Bonvoy will honor all elite benefits as stated previousl by the Lurker.

The issue is not Marriott's. It's not the Lurker's issue, either. It's actually entirely an issue for Amex to properly post/code the stay/transaction as FHR. Everyone with an Amex who wants their elite benefits must confirm that with Amex, not Marriott!

People have wrongly been trying to hold Marriott accountable for an issue that is ENTIRELY one for Amex FHR.
damon88 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think the key is one must book via Amex FHR--however AMEX qualifies that (not Marriott). And Amex must post/code the transaction to Marriott as FHR for it to count towards normal Bonvoy status/benefits/elite nights/points--just as stated by the Lurker.

Marriott isn't responsible for how Amex codes/posts transactions to them. As long as Amex codes/posts the transactions to Marriott as FHR then Marriott Bonvoy will honor all elite benefits as stated previousl by the Lurker.

The issue is not Marriott's. It's not the Lurker's issue, either. It's actually entirely an issue for Amex to properly post/code the stay/transaction as FHR. Everyone with an Amex who wants their elite benefits must confirm that with Amex, not Marriott!

People have wrongly been trying to hold Marriott accountable for an issue that is ENTIRELY one for Amex FHR.
What does the transaction have to do with it? Marriott's system has a booking with a certain rate code, and obviously that rate code reflects that it's an FHR booking because the hotel knows it's an FHR booking. Marriott should then award points, EQN, etc because the rate was an FHR rate which is a qualifying rate. What part of this is AMEX's issue? Only Marriott has had any problems with this; people have reported the loyalty number dropping off the reservation, points not awarded, etc. Hyatt and Hilton have had zero problems with the new FHR 5x bookings.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:27 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
What does the transaction have to do with it? Marriott's system has a booking with a certain rate code, and obviously that rate code reflects that it's an FHR booking because the hotel knows it's an FHR booking. Marriott should then award points, EQN, etc because the rate was an FHR rate which is a qualifying rate. What part of this is AMEX's issue? Only Marriott has had any problems with this; people have reported the loyalty number dropping off the reservation, points not awarded, etc. Hyatt and Hilton have had zero problems with the new FHR 5x bookings.
AMEX is making these bookings, so AMEX controls how they code. If Amex codes it as FHR for Marriott, then Marriott sees it as FHR. If Amex doesn't code it as FHR for Marriott, then Marriott doesn't see it as FHR.

Just like Virtuoso. Or Chase Fine Hotels. Or any other numbers of booking mechanisms.

Honestly, I am not sure why it is so hard to understand that this is an Amex issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.