Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Checking Out In Evening - Stay Credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking Out In Evening - Stay Credit?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Checking Out In Evening - Night Credit?

Hello All,

I'm in a middle of a 5 night stay but due to a change in work schedule I need to checkout at 8pm on the second to last evening.

Can I expect to be credited for 4 nights?

Thanks

Last edited by pentiumvi; Sep 15, 2018 at 2:45 pm
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:57 pm

You don't need to "checkout". I don't get it.
Just leave. That's it. You'll get an emailed receipt.
If you have to settle just settle it now.
And if you would like you can call morning of your 5th day to check out
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

I'm not planning on using the fifth night. I plan on only paying for the 4 nights and pay an early departure fee if applicable, so I can't just leave.

I guess my question, would I have any issues getting 4 night credit if I go to the FD on evening of the 4th night and ask to check out.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:16 pm

Of course you'll get 4 nights credit if you pay for four. I would tell them today you are leaving early and not actually "check out" at 8 pm on night 4. Nobody actually checks out anymore. That's very 1980's of you.
cur likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Of course you'll get 4 nights credit if you pay for four. I would tell them today you are leaving early and not actually "check out" at 8 pm on night 4. Nobody actually checks out anymore. That's very 1980's of you.
Ah, I guess I'm still old school.

So I should go to FD and tell them I plan on not staying the fifth night, and then just leave on the night of the 4th?

I haven't gotten emailed folios at this hotel in the past (SPG if that matters). I take it I should request to settle the bill at the same time, so I can get a printed copy of the folio?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
If you check out on the 4th night at 8 pm, you will be charged for a fifth night anyway. In order to not be charged you would have to check-out by the property check-out time or as determined by your eligibility for a late check-out. Beyond that, you have committed to the fifth night. They always confirm your check-out date at time of check-in. Early departures may affect the rate applicable to the days you stayed.

James
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If you check out on the 4th night at 8 pm, you will be charged for a fifth night anyway. In order to not be charged you would have to check-out by the property check-out time or as determined by your eligibility for a late check-out. Beyond that, you have committed to the fifth night. They always confirm your check-out date at time of check-in. Early departures may affect the rate applicable to the days you stayed.

James
No. The OP is checking out at 8pm on the third night.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by lougord99
But FlightForFun's comments are accurate, regardless if 3 or 4. If he leaves at 8pm, the hotel is still going to charge him for that night. Housekeeping has left for the day, so the property can't clean & resell the room. So he can leave at 8pm, & as a courtesy let the FD know but they won't do the formal check-out until the next morning, which is when his receipt will get emailed, or he can just leave & not tell the FD & they'll still check him out the next morning.

Cheers.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:07 pm

Just leave and call the hotel the next morning and let them know you checked out
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
But FlightForFun's comments are accurate, regardless if 3 or 4. If he leaves at 8pm, the hotel is still going to charge him for that night. Housekeeping has left for the day, so the property can't clean & resell the room. So he can leave at 8pm, & as a courtesy let the FD know but they won't do the formal check-out until the next morning, which is when his receipt will get emailed, or he can just leave & not tell the FD & they'll still check him out the next morning.

Cheers.
Or he can check-out himself via the app the next morning.

James
LF72 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
I did miss the OP mentioning checking out on night three. @SacTownGuy mentioned checking out on night four.

Regardless, an early check-out may affect the nightly rate. I have a seven night stay in Sydney in February. I don't usually stay that long at any given property but I will be attending a wedding that week. The nightly rate for 7 nights is AUD $419. For stays less than 7 nights the rate jumps to AUD $528. My 7 night stay is AUD $2933. If I decide to check-out at 8 pm on night five, my final bill for 6 nights would be AUD $3168.

I would check with the property to determine if an early check-out fee applies or if a change in the rate for the nights stayed would result in paying more than if you paid for the five nights and left early on night three. Your rate is only guaranteed within the parameters of your original booking. Changing those parameters opens up the possibility of your reservation being reevaluated.

James
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
This situation actually upset me once at the JW Marriott Phu Quoc this year. I booked 10 nights. I checked out at 8pm on night 10 (I paid the extra night because I wanted to stay in room as we had a late flight). The hotel knew I checked out as they arranged hotel car.

They would only give me 9 nights of credit rather than 10. I didn't understand this as I paid the extra night specifically so I could stay in room past check out time. I wasn't trying to game the system but one has to pay extra to be guaranteed the ability stay in room.

I escalated and reservations mgr emailed me later and said I needed to be there past midnight to get credit. I am set for 73 nights this year so that extra night would help as I think about getting 75 nights to get free night (I am LTPPE so only nice matters not status).

So if you want the night it is probably better to check out via app or by phone call at end of normal stay rather than early.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think what I'm going to do is inform FD sometime during day three that I'll be leaving early morning of day four. At that time I'll figure out whether the rates will change or there will be extra charge.

I'll also settle my bill at the time and get a physical copy of the folio (as I've mentioned, I've never received a emailed copy at this property before).

I hope this works, that one extra night will get me to platinum this year...
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless you have a special arrangement with the property for an 8:00 PM checkout with no upcharge, you will almost certainly be charged for the full night. If that is the case, why make life difficult for yourself? Just leave.

The next day, you or your secretary can call the property and ask them to email you a copy of your zeroed out statement and be done with it.

If something does come up, e.g. bad weather or the like and you are stuck, you then haven't been checked out and can stick around.

You have everything to lose and nothing to gain by doing anything other than finding out what will happen if you leave at 8:00 PM on night 3.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Thanks for the replies guys.

I think what I'm going to do is inform FD sometime during day three that I'll be leaving early morning of day four. At that time I'll figure out whether the rates will change or there will be extra charge.

I'll also settle my bill at the time and get a physical copy of the folio (as I've mentioned, I've never received a emailed copy at this property before).

I hope this works, that one extra night will get me to platinum this year...
Usually night audit runs 2-3am, so if you let them know in the day that you're leaving middle of the night you still won't get a receipt for your stay that includes the last night until after that time. Just let the FD check you out the morning after you leave; you'll get the receipt via email (assuming your reservation has your email address in it).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.