Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more free water for Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Bardycola
I agree with ya guys. I understand the desire to cut waste (and costs) but as you note there is a place for the plastic bottles. In addition to your reasons, I like to take a couple of bottles to the room and put in the refrigerator to have in the evenings or sometimes put on the nightstand. The Overland Park Marriott I just stayed in had a water dispenser (didn't look if it had still and sparkling) near the coffee table, but they did have the usual bottles in with their other drinks.

As a side note, if Marriott wanted to encourage recycling, they could have separate trash and recycling bins in the lounge and the rooms. Most people would sort their trash into two streams. I hate throwing cans, bottles, and newspapers into the trash.
The biggest cost savings program that they are doing - which also results in less trash at the hotels - is their messed up merger with utter lack of customer service. They will not incur any house keeping or other costs due to me for a while since I am staying at other hotels. They should see a significant reduction in cost from me and quite a few of my friends and coworkers.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
Maybe Starwood will add to the brand but when it comes to Courtyard/Springhill Suites/Fairfield Inn they fall way short of Hilton Garden Inn/Doubletree Inn/Hampton Inn. Throw in Diamond status at Hilton Brands and it's really a no brainer.
Agreed that HGI > Courtyard... but I'll gladly take SHS>Doubletree and a clean/modern Fairfield > Hampton Inn. Then again, I'll take SHS over Courtyard any day.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond

I'd love if hotels put a water cooler in the lobby. I rarely bring a water bottle on trips because I figure I'll have no place to fill it. Would cost them next to nothing to operate, would keep people happy and hydrated, and they could also sell Marriott branded bottles.
Yes this absolutely. I always have a water bottle with me as well that I keep filled up. I usually just go to the fitness center. But I would love for there to be one in the lobby too, or better yet, on each floor.

The fruit infused is ok for a glass of water, but I don’t really like putting that in my actual bottle.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
This comparison “Courtyard/Springhill Suites/Fairfield Inn they fall way short of Hilton Garden Inn/Doubletree Inn/Hampton Inn” is not all that accurate. A Springhill is nothing like a full service Double Tree. DT are compatible to Renaissance or Sheratons. Springhills are a lot closer to Hamptons. In reality Hilton doesn’t have a direct competitor to Springhill. However, yes HGI are way better than Courtyards.

That said I’m a Hilton Diamond starting at Marriott. The 4pm checkout gives Marriott the advantage easily. I have been far happier at Marriott than Hilton. Even with their struggles merging the programs.

Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by flyou10
That said I’m a Hilton Diamond starting at Marriott. The 4pm checkout gives Marriott the advantage easily. I have been far happier at Marriott than Hilton. Even with their struggles merging the programs.
This has really gotten off topic, but...I've been really happy with the 4pm late checkout too. Even more amazing was a week ago at a Resort... I asked for the 4pm late checkout on the morning of our last day. The agent overheard us talking about our late flight. He asked how late our flight was. I said 9pm. He asked for our keys back and re-keyed them for 7pm! I was speechless! I've never had an agent do that for me before (ok, I've never asked for it either); it was incredibly helpful as we wound up with a nice place to hang out before leaving for the airport.

My last Hilton stay was a Doubletree. I asked for a late checkout. It wasn't until I pointed out that I was gold and some grumbling on the part of the agent that I was given 1pm which was not helpful at all. I had to check out first thing in the morning anyway rather than after the lunch break unless I wanted to eat lunch by myself. I don't remember getting any water there either but I wasn't paying that much attention. I did get a cookie :-)
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by flyou10

Yes this absolutely. I always have a water bottle with me as well that I keep filled up. I usually just go to the fitness center. But I would love for there to be one in the lobby too, or better yet, on each floor.

The fruit infused is ok for a glass of water, but I don’t really like putting that in my actual bottle.
AC has "hydration stations" like that on each floor.

Element sells bottle-thermos thingies for $11 in rooms.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:56 pm
soy

Programs: various
Water appears to be gone. Staying at a FS Marriott on concierge level in one of only 2 suites and there is no free water - just 2x bottles at $5
Not the end of the world since I can get water at the lounge, but cheap nonetheless.

It would cost marriott less than 10c to offer a bottle of water to elites at checkin and would create a whole lot more goodwill than any advertising campaign
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by soy
Water appears to be gone. Staying at a FS Marriott on concierge level in one of only 2 suites and there is no free water - just 2x bottles at $5
Not the end of the world since I can get water at the lounge, but cheap nonetheless.

It would cost marriott less than 10c to offer a bottle of water to elites at checkin and would create a whole lot more goodwill than any advertising campaign
Name and shame the property.

If you paid for the suite, as opposed to a complimentary upgrade, I'd be pretty disappointed that they didn't even include a complimentary bottle of water in the price of a suite.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:35 am
soy

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Name and shame the property.

If you paid for the suite, as opposed to a complimentary upgrade, I'd be pretty disappointed that they didn't even include a complimentary bottle of water in the price of a suite.
Was a comp upgrade, but I will wait for more DP's before naming and shaming. It may have been an oversight by Housekeeping, so will see how things are when I return next month
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by soy

Sorry but I don't see the big deal if there's lots of water available for free in the lounge. Yes, it would be nice if housekeepers had left some (free) water in the suite, but you can walk down the hall and get all the water you want, perhaps with a choice of brands of still versus sparkling. Call the front desk if there's no water in the lounge or the lounge is locked up when you arrive.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:40 am
soy

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sorry but I don't see the big deal if there's lots of water available for free in the lounge. Yes, it would be nice if housekeepers had left some (free) water in the suite, but you can walk down the hall and get all the water you want, perhaps with a choice of brands of still versus sparkling. Call the front desk if there's no water in the lounge or the lounge is locked up when you arrive.
Agree that its not a big deal, but sometimes with a late arrival, lounge fridge is empty and I just want to go to bed without needing to trek back down to front desk to get a bottle of water.
First world problem for sure, and as I mentioned this might just have been a one-off. It just seemed to fit a pattern that was identified in this thread
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:59 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Is it normal to take stuff from the lounges in the Marriott world for later consumption? My rule is I'll only take a bottle out if I've been drinking it in the lounge and it would otherwise go to waste. Is the idea that the lounge is a kind of help yourself room service?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Can't speak for anyone else but I hardly ever eat/drink in the lounge, preferring to carry out and go back to my room.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Oh, and Pro-Tip: I've been drinking tap water out of hotel room faucets using the supplied cups/glasses for well over going on three decades now and yet have lived to tell the tale
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soy

OTHO, I stayed last night in a Sheraton in a normal room on club level (club level was the only upgrade) and as a Plat I got two free bottles waiting in my room (plus I could take from the lounge if I wanted).

So I wouldn't make any assumptions based on one or two datapoints, especially if you're not returning to a hotel you frequented before Aug 18 and are noticing a change at that same hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.