Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Destination Fees for NYC hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It appears these kind of fees are becoming more common. I recently stayed at the Park Central in San Francisco. There was a $39.00 destination fee and $5.49 tax on the destination fee. It was not mentioned when I booked via my corp platform or when I checked in.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
It appears these kind of fees are becoming more common. I recently stayed at the Park Central in San Francisco. There was a $39.00 destination fee and $5.49 tax on the destination fee. It was not mentioned when I booked via my corp platform or when I checked in.
Yes the SPG properties have been market leaders on this front. You will see them in many major cities now.

Back to NYC, I stayed at Springhill Suites 5th Ave last week, still no fee. Very decent property. Clean, comfortable, quiet. Good value.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes the SPG properties have been market leaders on this front. You will see them in many major cities now.
Hyatt joining the party as there was recently a post on even the Andaz West Hollywood now charging a fee.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by christianj
Hyatt joining the party as there was recently a post on even the Andaz West Hollywood now charging a fee.
However, WOH exempts Globs from paying any resort fees, assuming that one books through Hyatt or Prive.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:37 am

Its crazy they get away with this BS

Its deceptive advertising

There should be laws with stiff penalties for advertising something and then having ancillary fees that are mandatory tacked on making the cost more than what was listed/advertised

Europe seems to be a couple steps ahead of the US on this as I've seen even VAT/tax included in displayed prices.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
<snip> I really think these fees are used to subsidize profits and that all it really boils down to.
Uh... ya' think? Kinda like checked bag fees, eh?

Regards
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by scubadu
Uh... ya' think? Kinda like checked bag fees, eh?

Regards
You can decide if you want to check a bag or not but you can't decide to pay or not pay the destination fee! That is you can decide not to pay by staying elsewhere but that is different.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:12 am

Fees are getting ridiculous! It used to only be larger major hotels in NYC that were charging it but it's now showing up everywhere across the US. I cannot for the life of me justify why a hotel like the Lexington NYC would be ok to charge a $25 fee when others in the Marriott portfolio do not. I really think these fees are used to subsidize profits and that all it really boils down to.
Friends don't let friends stay at The Lexington. The RI next door is much nicer, doesn't charge fees, has breakfast, good staff, better rooms, and you can often get it for the same rate as the Lex.

Not a NYC hotel, but the Marriott World Center in Orlando charges $30/nt for "resort fees" and another $22/day for parking, $33/day (plus tips) for valet. Then there's the local taxes of 13.5%. $52/day for fees on a $130/nt room is 40%! Not including taxes. I've never stayed there because of it and also won't, because of it.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 11:24 am

Getting fee waived

Originally Posted by mikebor
I've gotten the fee waived from the Marriott Marquis Times Square and the Renaissance Las Vegas and was told it will be waived in future stays at the Marriott Marquis in San Diego. I'm a Lifetime Titanium and Ambassador member so maybe that helps.
What, pray tell, was your modus-operandi ?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by californiadreamin'
What, pray tell, was your modus-operandi ?
Be pushy about it and ask to speak to the GM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.