Destination Fees for NYC hotels?

Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/United 1K
Destination Fees for NYC hotels?

My SPG Ambassador told me today that

"There is a new $50 destination fee for all of New York. This is the same charge that is charged at every hotel no matter the level."

Has anyone else had experience with this? I hadn't heard about it until today!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
We were only $25+tax/night for the Marriott Marquis in June and having a quick look at their website just now, its still $25+tax.

Please note - USD25 daily destination fee added to room rate includes USD25 restaurant credit/enhanced Internet/1 tour ticket and more
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by lincoln841

"There is a new $50 destination fee for all of New York. This is the same charge that is charged at every hotel no matter the level."

That's not accurate. I haven't checked a or stayed at all the NYC properties, but the Chatwal and the Ritz did not have a destination fee. And the fee was $25-35 at other properties where I saw it (a few of the Ws, Westin, the JW Marriott and the Edition, for example). I hate the fees in general, but they usually include an equal value in food and beverage credit, so while I still try to avoid them they aren't that terrible. It's a troubling trend though, and one that may ultimately end up like Hawaii where you pay $60 for all the things that used to be included for free.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
My November reservation for the Essex House (JW) states a $25 daily Destination Fee that can be used as a daily food/drink credit or wifi (if needed). So Cheers!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lincoln841

A quick review of any number of Marriott/Starwood properties in NYC show that your SPG Ambassador is incorrect. There are some that are $50, some are $25 and some have no Destination Fee.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Your SPG Ambassador lies.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When will this BS stop? Add the fees into the rates and be done with it. I wish some government consumer protection department would put a stop to this. Complete Scam.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by spgplat21
It's a troubling trend though, and one that may ultimately end up like Hawaii where you pay $60 for all the things that used to be included for free.
Blame it on the unions. Marriott's Honolulu properties, including legacy SPG, are probably going to suffer a strike soon. The unions, which picketed last week, have authorized a strike. For what it's worth, housekeepers in Hawaii hotels already get like $16 an hour. I wouldn't be surprised if the daily resort fee increases to $30 or $50 to help cover increased labor costs.

At the Sheraton in the Old Town of San Juan, Puerto Rico, you pay an outrageous daily housekeeping fee because, umm, apparently the room rate doesn't have enough profit margin to pay housekeepers.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:53 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Blame it on the unions.
I can't help feeling this is, um, especially creative. Destinations fees do not exist in any of the world's most unionised countries.
Muerz, dgreen12, kalo93406 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I can't help feeling this is, um, especially creative. Destinations fees do not exist in any of the world's most unionised countries.
Well, a resort or destination fee is basically 100% pure profit. It offsets the costs of operating, including labor, while keeping nightly rates attractive in booking channels.

As for Europe, in the United Kingdom the fee can't be additional to the room rate:

Pricing rules in Scotland and the rest of the UK require quoted rates to include all obligatory taxes and charges.
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8269836.html
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
When will this BS stop? Add the fees into the rates and be done with it. I wish some government consumer protection department would put a stop to this. Complete Scam.
When enough folks complain some state attorney general, particularly a Democrat one with political aspirations, will take it on. The issue is either not enough of us complain or the ideological and partisanship of the attorney general makes them unlikely to take on business.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Random question/thought - US airlines keep the base fees low but then keep jacking up ancillary revenues, as they aren't subject to the same excise tax (IIRC). So net-net similar revenues but lower taxable base.

Does the same apply here? Are they incented to shift revenue allocation from base rates to resort fees for taxable purposes?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Well, a resort or destination fee is basically 100% pure profit. It offsets the costs of operating, including labor, while keeping nightly rates attractive in booking channels.
Yup, and they collect resort fees on award stays too. Plus they don't pay out reward points on them either. Ideally, they should make the resort fee >50% of the room revenue. Brilliant!

Travel brilliantly!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Destinattion Fees are hit and miss in NYC and most likely show up at popular hotels near Times Square, for example.

I stay often near Soho and have bever had this fee (though the taxes add up to nearly $50 per day!).
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Let's not forget that resort and destination fees don't earn points and probably won't count toward the $20,000 spend requirement for Ambassador, yet if they're mandatory, they're equivalent to an increase in room rates by the same amount.

BTW, some employers resist reimbursing resort fees as they're considered to be some sort of recreational luxury item.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.