Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton O’Hare: Fire alarm and blocked emergency exit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec

At the Sheraton O’Hare Friday night, fire alarm went off about 2:30 AM. I made my way to exit stairwell and down to ground level. The emergency exit door was blocked ( I think by a dumpster). I was able to get out to the front lobby and exit the main entrance.

It it was a false alarm, but I’m very upset that an emergency exit was blocked. I did not have time to address with management this morning as I had a meeting to get to. But did get GM’s business card and plan to email him about it. Assuming he gives me a reasonable response, should I contact corporate about this? I’m not asking for compensation. The shuttle driver told me a guest used an emergency exit in error and that tripped the alarm. It stinks but hard to blame the hotel for that.

What i do blame the hotel for is a blatant code violation that could cause injury or death. I’ve never had to exit in the middle of the night before. Even though there was no fire, it was unsettling. Thoughts?

Last edited by LPCJr; Sep 8, 2018 at 10:40 am
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Contact the fire marshall.
CPRich, JBord, lougord99 and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Contact the fire marshall.
+1 this needs to be reported to authorities. Imagine there was a real fire ...
CPRich and AAExpDFW like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by LPCJr
At the Sheraton O’Hare Friday night, fire alarm went off about 2:30 AM. I made my way to exit stairwell and down to ground level. The emergency exit door was blocked ( I think by a dumpster). I was able to get out to the front lobby and exit the main entrance.
I agree with the other replies that this is a very serious matter. Hotel guests could die in a real fire.

Yes, the matter that should be reported to local authorities. Hotel management will take this much more seriously if the local authorities are involved. And the local authorities will be more likely to watch for future fire safety failures by the hotel.

If it's the Sheraton Suites Chicago O'Hare on Mannheim Road in Rosemont, contact the Village of Rosemont Bureau of Fire Suppression. Although Chicago-O'Hare Airport is within the city of Chicago, hotels in its vicinity are in Rosemont and other suburbs.
Eagle_traveler and LPCJr like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
+1 to the advise above. That and I would say I would specifically not go to corporate at all, this is an issue that needs to be handled locally. Talk to the GM of the property and the local fire marshal.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:50 pm

I'm usually a "complain locally" person. But on life safety issues, that advice doesn't apply. Along with contacting the local government safety department, I'd skip the GM and speak/email Marriott Corporate.

As someone who worked in hotels, this type of safety violation is likely due to multiple people not doing their jobs. At every hotel I worked, the first thing a Security Officer did was to check every emergency exit. At least once during the shift, the Night Manager/Manager-on-Duty/Duty Manager also checked the emergency exits. Finally, if it was a dumpster, whoever uses it (which might not be the hotel) should have noticed it was blocking an emergency exit.

Although it's possible the blockage may have just happened after midnight, I think it's more probable that it happened earlier. If that's the case, multiple people failed to do their jobs. That failure put hotel guests and employees at risk.

By notifying Corporate, the hotel will be placed under additional scrutiny for all life safety systems. I guarantee that Marriott's regional representative will follow up. If this was a one-off thing, the hotel won't face any repercussions. But if they have been cutting corners on safety, Marriott will take appropriate action.
LPCJr and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I'm usually a "complain locally" person. But on life safety issues, that advice doesn't apply. Along with contacting the local government safety department, I'd skip the GM and speak/email Marriott Corporate.
I would notify them all, starting with the fire marshal.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
By notifying Corporate, the hotel will be placed under additional scrutiny for all life safety systems. I guarantee that Marriott's regional representative will follow up. If this was a one-off thing, the hotel won't face any repercussions. But if they have been cutting corners on safety, Marriott will take appropriate action.
It's Marriott now, I am sure they think only a small percentage of guests would be killed and like anything else that affects "a small percentage" is nothing one needs to address. Yes, I am still bitter they haven't fixed my status yet.
NJKen and paulsalem like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by flying_geek
It's Marriott now, I am sure they think only a small percentage of guests would be killed and like anything else that affects "a small percentage" is nothing one needs to address. Yes, I am still bitter they haven't fixed my status yet.
Wow. Dude, you need to get some perspective. Having a messed up rewards account is a lot different than being complacent about people dying at their hotels. My status is messed up, too. And I am frustrated with that. But get real here. This issue is specific to this hotel.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jeanie
This issue is specific to this hotel.
Doubtful. I'm sure many hotels of all brands have unreported safety (and other) violations.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jeanie
Wow. Dude, you need to get some perspective. Having a messed up rewards account is a lot different than being complacent about people dying at their hotels.
This.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Wanted to provide an update. After emailing the town building inspector, I didn’t hear anything for almost 2 weeks and thought that my complaint went nowhere.

Today i I received an email from the fire inspector. The y did go out and find the blocked door, and the hotel engineer was cited for the violation. Good to know they addressed it.
Kacee, Horace, dgreen12 and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Thanks for coming back and closing the loop!
PDX4MSU likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.