Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Maintain Marriott Status?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Maybe this is a dumb question, but why is Platinum status important for you given 7 nights in a hotel bed per year? The benefits of status for those 7 nights would seem to pale in comparison to the incremental cost you need to get Platinum
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by jeanie
The only way to get platinum in 2020 right now is to earn lifetime platinum status. Otherwise, you would need to earn 2020 status in 2019 or early in 2020.
That is what would appear to be correct, but some people’s online profiles already say status is good to 2020 (eg. My Plat Premier Amb status, even if hotels only see Gold/ Plat).
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Maybe this is a dumb question, but why is Platinum status important for you given 7 nights in a hotel bed per year? The benefits of status for those 7 nights would seem to pale in comparison to the incremental cost you need to get Platinum
Why is it 7 nights total? I already counted 17 nights and there may be possible more. Just to be conservative for a total of 20 nights. The room upgrade + club lounge are worth about $350 total. That is a total of $7,000 or so. Worth it?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Since you are looking for 2020 status, not 2019 status, the best way to do that might be to keep the RC card. The $450 annual fee and spending might be the cheapest way to keep Platinum indefinitely if your travel doesn't earn the status for you organically.

Your nights in 2018 will only count towards 2019 status, not 2020 status.
As I said from the very beginning, this is not for 2018 or even 2019. This is just the planning for the future with the recent change of Marriott.

I'm not doing earning 2019 or 2020 yet. But with my anniversary coming in Sept, I need to decide if I want to put my spending on my RC CC. The RC CC spending in on the calendar year. If I get to the the $75k spending over the calendar year 2019, I'll get the Plat status for 2020.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by RedSun
Why is it 7 nights total? I already counted 17 nights and there may be possible more. Just to be conservative for a total of 20 nights. The room upgrade + club lounge are worth about $350 total. That is a total of $7,000 or so. Worth it?
Each of us may value loyalty perks differently, so the value others attach to certain benefits may not be relevant to you. Having said that, how did you arrive at the $350 per night value for Platinum?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rny321
Each of us may value loyalty perks differently, so the value others attach to certain benefits may not be relevant to you. Having said that, how did you arrive at the $350 per night value for Platinum?
I just count the suite upgrade and club lounge. I can be certainly wrong. It is just to me. What is the right value?

Even at lower value, it is still worth thousand $ to me. And it can be managed, even just with the $75k spending.

Last edited by RedSun; Sep 1, 2018 at 8:34 am
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:43 am

I just count the suite upgrade and club lounge. I can be certainly wrong. It is just to me. What is the right value?

Even at lower value, it is still worth thousand $ to me. And it can be managed, even just with the $75k spending.
In my opinion, there is no universally right or wrong way to value loyalty benefits. Since you have thought about this and are utilizing a higher value than I believe most people would, I was curious about your approach. I frequently travel to Asia where suite upgrades and quality lounges are relatively common, so I would place a higher value on loyalty than if I spent more time elsewhere.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:48 am

If you can hit the 50 night level, you would be eligible for an annual choice selection like the 5 suite night awards. If you get close to 40 nights, it might be worth booking a low cost meeting for the 10 additional nights.
RedSun likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rny321
In my opinion, there is no universally right or wrong way to value loyalty benefits. Since you have thought about this and are utilizing a higher value than I believe most people would, I was curious about your approach. I frequently travel to Asia where suite upgrades and quality lounges are relatively common, so I would place a higher value on loyalty than if I spent more time elsewhere.
Some of the properties, such as most of the RCs, have strict limit of # of guests in each room. I have college-age kids and I had to negotiate the rate to upgrade to a suite at my recent RC stay. It is not cheap. Or, I'd have took a 2nd room. I know the Plat benefits at RC are somehow limited still.

For the club lounge, with my recent stays, I received 1,000 bonus points, breakfast at either club lounge (made to order) or full buffet, afternoon tea and evening drink and snack.

It is just amazing that TPG puts a $35/night value on the room upgrade and $15/night on the club lounge.... Sure, if you believe that.
rny321 likes this.

Last edited by RedSun; Sep 1, 2018 at 9:43 am
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP

What are these mythical “suite upgrades” you speak of?
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12

I'm just tired of those arguing.... YMMV. We all value things differently. If I travel alone for work, I'll put $0 value on the suite upgrade.

This is about keeping the status, not about the value of the upgrades etc....

Last edited by RedSun; Sep 1, 2018 at 12:56 pm
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12

I'm just tired of those arguing.... YMMV. We all value things differently. If I travel alone for work, I'll put $0 value on the suite upgrade.

This is about keeping the status, not about the value of the upgrades etc....
From what I have read, there is a technical glitch in redeeming SNAs - or suite upgrades - right now. That might be what flying_donkeys was referring to.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

From what I have read, there is a technical glitch in redeeming SNAs - or suite upgrades - right now. That might be what flying_donkeys was referring to.
It is not. To flying_donkeys, the suite upgrade is close to worthless. You do not even have to use the SNAs at most of the hotels. But SNAs give you more certainty.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:34 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
It is not. To flying_donkeys, the suite upgrade is close to worthless. You do not even have to use the SNAs at most of the hotels. But SNAs give you more certainty.
Yup SNAs are great if you stay Singapore hotels
RedSun likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

That is what would appear to be correct, but some people’s online profiles already say status is good to 2020 (eg. My Plat Premier Amb status, even if hotels only see Gold/ Plat).
Status earned the hard way during 2018 is good through all of 2019 and January 2020.
RedSun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.