Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott's No Blackout Policy, Post-Merger General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott's No Blackout Policy, Post-Merger General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
One could fly an A380 through this loophole Marriott has gifted to their property operators. I have begun to use my points for some business trips since their value for nice vacations at nice locations in nice weather has seriously diminished. All that a property need do is to designate a SINGLE ROOM as their "standard" and shut any additional bookings out. Likely a lot of maintenance closets got converted into "standard rooms" with the introduction of this little doozy.

And don't bother seeking any form of an exception - even an Ambassador will just parrot the loophole excuse.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Thank you everyone for your reply. This is quite disappointing to hear that the program is not fully integrated, and the lack of customer support with knowledge to support the program benefits.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:46 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thebackcourse
MR agents have zero ability to do anything about what rooms are available or show up. That is done at the property level.
First, I do understand that the agents themselves can't and don't change a hotel's award inventory. But they can and usually will call the hotel on your behalf to ask. At least they have for me.

Plus in this case, I'm wondering if the hotel might have just mistakenly left the no-view rooms out of the award inventory. It is a lower level room than the Deluxe rooms they do have in their "standard" room inventory. Though I guess it could also have been on purpose. The New Orleans Pere Marquette Ren hotel used to have a room grade below their standard that they wouldn't put into the award inventory. Those rooms were all very small rooms almost in a basement level. They were actually a lot cheaper than the other rooms, but they didn't want someone to use points for those rooms. So on-purpose they excluded those rooms.

Without knowing more, there are a number of different reasons, with some of them possibly being valid reasons why they don't have the no-view rooms in the award inventory.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Found this in the T&C. I find it misleading to say, "no blackout dates", EXCEPT....

The Company has a “No Blackout Dates” policy, which means that, subject to the limitations and exclusions below, Participating Properties have standard rooms available every day for Award Redemptions. These limitations and exclusions are:

i. Participating Properties from the following Brands may cap the number of standard rooms available for redemption on a limited number of days: The Ritz-Carlton®, EDITION®, JW Marriott®, Marriott Hotels®, Delta Hotels®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® Hotels, Gaylord Hotels®, Courtyard®, SpringHill Suites®, Protea Hotels®, Fairfield by Marriott®, AC Hotels®, Moxy® Hotels, Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites®.

ii. The following Participating Brands allow only for Points/Miles earnings and do not offer Points redemption: Marriott Executive Apartments® and ExecuStay®.

iii. The following Participating Properties or Brands either do not participate in or do not fully participate in the No Blackout Dates benefit at this time:

● Boscolo Exedra Nice, Autograph Collection
● The Dedica Anthology, Autograph Collection
● JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn® Resort & Spa, Scottsdale, AZ
● Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club – all properties
● Participating Vistana properties
● Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora, Rome, Italy
● Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Hawaii
● Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott - Maui, Hawaii
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by fishy21
Found this in the T&C. I find it misleading to say, "no blackout dates", EXCEPT....

The Company has a “No Blackout Dates” policy, which means that, subject to the limitations and exclusions below, Participating Properties have standard rooms available every day for Award Redemptions. These limitations and exclusions are:

i. Participating Properties from the following Brands may cap the number of standard rooms available for redemption on a limited number of days: The Ritz-Carlton®, EDITION®, JW Marriott®, Marriott Hotels®, Delta Hotels®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® Hotels, Gaylord Hotels®, Courtyard®, SpringHill Suites®, Protea Hotels®, Fairfield by Marriott®, AC Hotels®, Moxy® Hotels, Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites®.

ii. The following Participating Brands allow only for Points/Miles earnings and do not offer Points redemption: Marriott Executive Apartments® and ExecuStay®.

iii. The following Participating Properties or Brands either do not participate in or do not fully participate in the No Blackout Dates benefit at this time:

● Boscolo Exedra Nice, Autograph Collection
● The Dedica Anthology, Autograph Collection
● JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn® Resort & Spa, Scottsdale, AZ
● Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club – all properties
● Participating Vistana properties
● Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora, Rome, Italy
● Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Hawaii
● Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott - Maui, Hawaii
On the bright side, Starwood used to be a good programme on this, and the legacy Starwood hotels still should be (though without the old corporate compliance that used to exist).
margarita girl and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:47 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
On the bright side, Starwood used to be a good programme on this, and the legacy Starwood hotels still should be (though without the old corporate compliance that used to exist).
this has not been the case with a westin property in hokkaido that had standard rooms available but none for points. the marriott call center even said they have 3 remaining standard rooms. the marriott call center said the property will not budge. maybe if i called spg they would have done more? just an awful program, i'm a plat/lifetime silver and i'm ditching this sorry--- program
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
SPG was our ally. Marriott is not our ally - they are the franchisee's / property owner's ally.
EuropeanPete and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:46 am

Question We’re sorry. This property is not taking redemption bookings at this time. You can ei

"We’re sorry. This property is not taking redemption bookings at this time. You can either book a cash reservation or search for another property."

That was the message that appeared when I was trying to book another stay at a Marriott in Greece. I made a redemption booking at the same hotel last week (for next September). I tried to book another stay today for different dates. Why would they not accept a redemption booking but they would accept cash reservation?

thanks
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:53 am

I think there was a T&C update not long time ago - Marriott doesn't honor No Blackout policy for the legacy-Marriott brands. I guess many hotel owners pushed back to corporate which leads to this change.

Yah, this is what so-called "Unified Loyalty Programs". !@#$%
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Isn't there a thread on this already, or is it being discussed in individual property threads where it's happening?

Cheers.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by tonywush
I think there was a T&C update not long time ago - Marriott doesn't honor No Blackout policy for the legacy-Marriott brands. I guess many hotel owners pushed back to corporate which leads to this change.

I missed that update . Have to go back and read again .
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by tonywush

Marriott always had a "No Blackout" Policy. But it just meant that they had to offer "some" awards. One those were booked, they were gone. Maybe that's what's happening here, but it doesn't really sound like it.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:05 pm

Don't hotel owners get any reimbursement from Marriott for redemption stays?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mister Nice

I missed that update . Have to go back and read again .
Here is one link that summarizes the change.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by iowa guy
Don't hotel owners get any reimbursement from Marriott for redemption stays?
They do. I don't believe it is anywhere close to market rates. Once the allocation of award rooms is gone they may prefer to hold out for cash. SPG allowed using more points for premium rooms but one had to call in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.