Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cancelling/Changing Old SPG Reservations Post Aug 18 - Points Refund Delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling/Changing Old SPG Reservations Post Aug 18 - Points Refund Delay

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Anyone know if reservations booked on the Marriott side pre-integration and canceled afterwards are getting their points back? Is this problem happening only on the SPG side?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP
No reports of this in the Marriott section of the forums. I would assume not, as it appears that the SPG data was (poorly) imported into the Marriott system. The Marriott data probably just stayed resident in the same databases, hence the lack of issues...
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Anyone know if reservations booked on the Marriott side pre-integration and canceled afterwards are getting their points back? Is this problem happening only on the SPG side?
I'll give you a data point - take as it is - only data point:

On Monday (after combining the accounts to Marriott as the main account) I did:

1. Made a test award reservation to SPG hotel and cancelled immediately - points back to my account immediately.
2. Cancelled Marriott reservation made prior to 8/18 - points immediately back to my account (use to book a new SPG reservation replacing one at a higher price).
3. Cancelled SPG resesrvtion made prior to 8/18 - 375K points still missing and never posted back to my account
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:12 am

Has anyone had any luck getting a points refund for stays that are too late to cancel? For example, you have an SPG stay booked next week.. it's too late to cancel without penalty... will they give you the new lower redemption rate?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:08 am

SUCCESS!!!

Called into the Marriott line - the agent manually canceled the award certificate that was associated with the old award reservation and the points are back to my account.

15 minutes wait time, but less than 5 minutes agent time to get it all done.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by smokie
Update:

I spoke with a Plat concierge today who said they are getting an overwhelming number of calls about this. She deviated from the script a bit and expressed that the SPG reps are livid with the botched migration.

She told me not to expect this to be resolved for another 20 days...!!!!!

Unbelievable.
Was also told will be Sep 15 before all resolved
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
SUCCESS!!!

Called into the Marriott line - the agent manually canceled the award certificate that was associated with the old award reservation and the points are back to my account.

When was the original reservation made?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Airline Nobody
Plat line was still unable to modify my Prince de Galles reservation to refund me 120k points. I told the agent I knew that it wasn't her fault but I still needed to voice my extreme displeasure at how this was being handled. "Call back later" is getting really old, really fast.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by husky96821
When was the original reservation made?
July of this year
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
SUCCESS!!!

Was this for an SPG hotel you'd already cancelled yourself online?

My cancel/rebook was for a stay last week, and now that my stay has come and gone, I wonder if my refunded points sitting in the black hole have now disappeared forever? In other words, if you've already completed the rebooked reservation you were waiting for the points refund for, do you I think that will have an impact on getting the points back?

I am thinking it's time to call again. You'd think after waiting a week that something would have happened, but no...
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by pokee
Was this for an SPG hotel you'd already cancelled yourself online?

My cancel/rebook was for a stay last week, and now that my stay has come and gone, I wonder if my refunded points sitting in the black hole have now disappeared forever? In other words, if you've already completed the rebooked reservation you were waiting for the points refund for, do you I think that will have an impact on getting the points back?

I am thinking it's time to call again. You'd think after waiting a week that something would have happened, but no...
It was for a reservation I cancelled my self on the app.

I don't think it matters - they should still see your cancelled reservation and they should still see that the certificate attached is still active and never cancelled.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:31 pm

Still move points refunded on my end, will be calling again monday.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by smokie
No reports of this in the Marriott section of the forums. I would assume not, as it appears that the SPG data was (poorly) imported into the Marriott system. The Marriott data probably just stayed resident in the same databases, hence the lack of issues...
i cancelled a Marriott reservation a couple days ago... those points disappeared too. I didn’t think it was worth sitting on hold for hours just to be told to call back later, so I haven’t had them look into it yet
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I had a reservation at the Marriott Marquis New York that I canceled and received my points. I had another couple reservations at the St. Regis New York that I canceled and received my points. I know there were a handful of St. Regis properties moved to marriott.com prior to the integration. The St. Regis and W were both booked via Marriott after the integration, but only the W took me back to the legacy SPG system for the cancelation... therein lies the issue.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:22 am

I have an upcoming reservation that the points are now lower on--was just told they won't refund the points. Am I stuck at the higher rate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.