Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cancelling/Changing Old SPG Reservations Post Aug 18 - Points Refund Delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling/Changing Old SPG Reservations Post Aug 18 - Points Refund Delay

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Tried as well with an extremely helpful agent (on the SPG side, Mariott is not very helpful) and could not do it. Apparently, the option is "grayed" out on their screens. The official line is 7 to 10 business days.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:55 pm

Happened to me as well. Cancelled via an agent on the weekend, who made no mention of the delay (the intent was to rebook at lower rate with her on the phone), and she said I would now need to wait a day or so. Well, it's been well over 72 hours...pretty sure the availability for my dates are now gone. I've been told 24 - 48hrs, up to 72 hrs, 5 days, 7 - 10 days, and 7 to 10 business days.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:02 pm

Canceled an old spg booking 24 hours ago and still waiting in limbo for the points to be refunded to the new combined account under my new spg number. Hopefully there's an official announcement soon about this issue.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
Tried as well with an extremely helpful agent (on the SPG side, Mariott is not very helpful) and could not do it. Apparently, the option is "grayed" out on their screens. The official line is 7 to 10 business days.
thanks. That’s more info than I’ve been able to get. 7-10 days from cancelation, or 7-10 from now? Either way, ugh.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by slariz

thanks. That’s more info than I’ve been able to get. 7-10 days from cancelation, or 7-10 from now? Either way, ugh.
From now. It is more credible than previous answers - but only because it puts the deadline as far in the future as possible. My guess is they really don't know - but realize that in two weeks the outcry would be horrible.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Having the same issue - Orig reservation booked thru SPG @ 24K points (72K post-integration) - Rebooked 8/18 @ 70K to gain 2K points. The agent who did this seem confused, so I waited for two days to call since my 72K points were still not refunded from the cancellation. The second agent I called said things were a mess and it could be up to the beginning of next month before we see the points refunded. I hope this is not a sign of things to come for a once-great program. I used to get points refunded instantaneously. Hopefully, Marriott will get this straightened out soon.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, SPG Gold
Cautionary tale: I called in today asking for a points adjustment on a 5-night reservation at the St Regis Punta Mita. The points dropped from 420k to 240k, and I don't have an extra 240k points in my account.

Even though I only asked for the points adjustment and the agent was very clear in confirming I didn't want to cancel, she still for some reason canceled the existing reservation before realizing she couldn't make a new one. The result, of course, was that I ended up with neither points nor a reservation. The only good news is that there's still award inventory on my dates, for now.

From the call center all I got was a "call back in a few days" type of response, but a pleasant surprise was that I heard pretty soon afterwards from someone in corporate customer service who was investigating the issue. So one bit of advice to those facing similar issues is that you can ask to be transferred to corporate customer service where someone may actually be able to help.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I have a 7 night stay that I want to change the dates on. They said I can't because I don't have enough points in my account. I only wanted to shift it 3 days - I had enough points for two days, so I booked that. Now have 9 nights booked for next June, hope I can get it 7 nights on the right dates.

What a C*F*K
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, CC, AA, UA, WN
Called on 8/20, 8/21, 8/22 and 8/23 to try to get a future SPG award stay adjusted based on the new award chart/points redemption cost. Every single time, the SPG plat agent could not make the adjustment and said to call back later, maybe in a few days or a week.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by DCAcubsfan
Called on 8/20, 8/21, 8/22 and 8/23 to try to get a future SPG award stay adjusted based on the new award chart/points redemption cost. Every single time, the SPG plat agent could not make the adjustment and said to call back later, maybe in a few days or a week.

What an unmitigated disaster! Still waiting on my points to credit- Thankfully, I don’t have any immediate bookings that require them.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:43 pm

I had a nice supervisor tell me last night she would call me today...clock is running out, and I am not holding my breath. I don't doubt that she is trying to help me out, but from the sounds of it there is no possible solution.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I made five total reservations on 8/19 for a St. Regis and W via Marriott.com. I canceled three of these shortly after via Marriott.com. The two for the St. Regis were refunded immediately. The W did not. I also canceled two pre-merger reservations via the mobile apps - a Marriott Marquis via the Marriott app and a W via the SPG app - and both refunded immediately. A Marriott rep said they still show an active certificate for the reservation in their system, although it shows up as a canceled reservation in my view (website, mobile app). They do not have the ability to cancel it. A Starwood rep said they show a canceled reservation in their system and that they have no option to touch reservations in their system any longer.

As for the 7 to 10 business day line, it is from <insert the time when they tell you that line>. If you call back the next day, they will still say 7 to 10 business days from that moment. When I asked what happens if the issue was not resolved after 10 business days, she said I would need to call in and ask again. I asked for a reference number and she said, "We will know who you are because we record every call" (i.e. - those calls are never referenced unless there is a legal issue or training issue). In other words, that is nothing more than something they are saying to get you off the phone.

Good to know I'm not alone, though.

By the way, for some of you that need points now, the new Points Advance benefit may be an option: https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...nts-advance.mi
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:52 am

I wonder how big the problem really is. It seems that it is quite big from the anecdotal reports we have here.

I still intend to open a ticket every day it is not resolved and call every day it is not resolved.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP
Update:

I spoke with a Plat concierge today who said they are getting an overwhelming number of calls about this. She deviated from the script a bit and expressed that the SPG reps are livid with the botched migration.

She told me not to expect this to be resolved for another 20 days...!!!!!

Unbelievable.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by smokie
Update:

I spoke with a Plat concierge today who said they are getting an overwhelming number of calls about this. She deviated from the script a bit and expressed that the SPG reps are livid with the botched migration.

She told me not to expect this to be resolved for another 20 days...!!!!!

Unbelievable.
Good gosh! That is unreal! Did they not expect people with previous, more expensive, bookings not to re-book at a lower rate post 8-18? Still waiting on my 72k points to credit... I don’t feel so bad since I’m a lowly Gold...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.