Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Rewards rate become higher after merge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rewards rate become higher after merge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jakers3200
OK, the not-so-long awaited update!

I called Marriott Rewards today as directed. After being quickly transferred, about 15 minutes in I was connected to the right group. Initially, I was told very matter-of-factly that the rate went up, and since I didn't get a certificate before the merger date, I would have to pay the higher rate. This did not please me. However, instead of getting upset or arguing, I asked the CSR to read back the note on my account. She went through it until she read, "Marriott will update honor the original rate of 180,000 points once the system comes back online." After that, the CSR was very helpful!

Took a while (45 minutes), but eventually they added 20,000 points to my account and ordered the certificate. Bottom line, they honored the rate, but only because I persisted with one CSR and she left a clear note on my account. There does not seem to be a policy to automatically handle these issues. They can credit the account, just make sure you are clear & have an hour to psare. In all, I spent over 2 hours on the phone with Marriott to resolve the issue and have them honor the originally guaranteed rate.
I think i posted to another thread as well, got CSR response, see below

​​​​​​Thank you for taking the time to reach out to Marriott Customer Care 0820.

Please accept my apologies for any confusion on your reservation for JW Marriott Cancu Resort & Spa for XXXX confirmation number XXXXXXX. As long as there are no changes to the reservation you will be able to use the same amount of points that was originally quoted for the reservation. At this time there is nothing you would need to do the point certificate will be automatically ordered for you

Safe travels,
Ozell Sterling

Marriott Customer Care
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beltway
Correct. This is a longstanding defect in the way Marriott displays award reservations for properties that jumper up a category after the reservation is made. Points are deducted at the original rate, not the displayed rate.
so we do not need to do anything, just wait and the original points will be deducted 7 days before arrival?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Originally Posted by benzylamine
I think i posted to another thread as well, got CSR response, see below

​​​​​​Thank you for taking the time to reach out to Marriott Customer Care 0820.

Please accept my apologies for any confusion on your reservation for JW Marriott Cancu Resort & Spa for XXXX confirmation number XXXXXXX. As long as there are no changes to the reservation you will be able to use the same amount of points that was originally quoted for the reservation. At this time there is nothing you would need to do the point certificate will be automatically ordered for you

Safe travels,
Ozell Sterling

Marriott Customer Care
When is your next stay? Please let us know how this works out when the cert is issued for your next points stay. I'm in the same boat but don't have a points stay until the end of next month. If true, will save quite a few of us calls to MR for manual intervention.
canuickstan420 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chuckworth
When is your next stay? Please let us know how this works out when the cert is issued for your next points stay. I'm in the same boat but don't have a points stay until the end of next month. If true, will save quite a few of us calls to MR for manual intervention.
My stay would be in Dec, I already phoned to CSR, waited for 1 hour, and he helped me to adjust the points. So you should phone CSR to adjust points.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: DL Plat
I was told that for them to adjust the award to be at the pre-merger rate that the award reservation would become both non-changeable and non-refundable. Is non-refundable really true?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
So you made a bunch of speculative points-advance (ie:booking without enough points) reservations at Marriott higher-end properties that were going to shoot up in award pricing after August 18 (like Domes of Elounda from 45k to 85K), and you expect the pre-Aug18 award pricing to be honored even though no points were substracted from your account upon booking ?

Pretty nice trick if it works!
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
I booked DOE prior to the award pricing increase and my redemption went from 180,000 to 240,000. No response after two emails (suspect there is a rather large backlog), made one call and was credited the difference in award points within minutes, great customer service.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I finally got around to calling. Quick and easy.'

Originally Posted by runningformqm
I was told that for them to adjust the award to be at the pre-merger rate that the award reservation would become both non-changeable and non-refundable. Is non-refundable really true?
Absolutely not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.