Wiki Posts
Search

Need both Apps?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
Need both Apps?

Will there be a need anymore to have both the Marriott & SPG app? I assuming there will be a day where they just discountinue the SPG app. Or create an entirely new app with the new name and discontinue both current apps.

But in the mean time, do both of them now do the same thing?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by flyou10
Will there be a need anymore to have both the Marriott & SPG app? I assuming there will be a day where they just discountinue the SPG app. Or create an entirely new app with the new name and discontinue both current apps.

But in the mean time, do both of them now do the same thing?
If you have a Rewards account and an SPG account, you would probably want to keep both for the time being — especially if you have upcoming reservations under both accounts. The Rewards account should be configured to use your Rewards credentials. The SPG account should be configured to use your SPG credentials.

You can use either account to make new reservations, but you would probably want to use the account with higher elite status, if they differ.

Once you have the option to combine your accounts, and you exercise that option, you would probably want to keep only the app for the surviving account.

The "Rewards" and "SPG" brands will be replaced with a new program name in 2019 — accompanied by a new app or renamed old apps.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Horace
Once you have the option to combine your accounts, and you exercise that option, you would probably want to keep only the app for the surviving account.

The "Rewards" and "SPG" brands will be replaced with a new program name in 2019 accompanied by a new app or renamed old apps.
I believe you still need both apps if you plan on staying at Marriott and SPG properties for the short term. The only thing being combined now is the rewards program and not the reservation system. To your bolded point, this is correct only if you use the app for rewards balances. Check in, requests etc. still likely needs both.

Come 2019, then it should go down to 1.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Antarius
I believe you still need both apps if you plan on staying at Marriott and SPG properties for the short term. The only thing being combined now is the rewards program and not the reservation system. To your bolded point, this is correct only if you use the app for rewards balances. Check in, requests etc. still likely needs both.

Come 2019, then it should go down to 1.
You can now already book Rewards legacy and SPG legacy properties from either account. Try it. Pick any large city that has both legacies. You'll see both.

Until I combine my accounts, I will use my Marriott Rewards account to make reservations, even if I'm planning to stay at a Westin or Aloft.

Combining accounts will also mean being able to see all future reservation across both legacies with the surviving account — and to check-in with app for that account.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Horace
If you have a Rewards account and an SPG account, you would probably want to keep both for the time being especially if you have upcoming reservations under both accounts. The Rewards account should be configured to use your Rewards credentials. The SPG account should be configured to use your SPG credentials.

You can use either account to make new reservations, but you would probably want to use the account with higher elite status, if they differ.

The "Rewards" and "SPG" brands will be replaced with a new program name in 2019 accompanied by a new app or renamed old apps.
I think this is the biggest item that they have neglected to make clear to people after this systems merge.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
I think this is the biggest item that they have neglected to make clear to people after this systems merge.
Except that the account merging has not even started yet so there is no need to communicate about something that hasn't even started to happen yet. Would not make any sense to tell people to start deleting apps before the systems are up and running and fully functional for hotels on both sides.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.