Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Common Platinum vs Gold confusion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Common Platinum vs Gold confusion

Ex SPG Gold who was matched to Marriott Gold. Today I see my status is Gold Elite in the new Marriott app but shows Platinum Elite in new Marriott website. Which is the correct status?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Alaska MVP GOLD, Delta Medallion Gold
I'm in a similar situation (SPG Gold that was matched to Marriott Gold). When I login with my existing SPG credentials it shows 'Gold Elite'. When I login with my existing Marriott credentials it show as 'Platinum Elite'. This makes sense, as I wouldn't be surprised if the Marriott system didn't really know exactly how I got to Marriott Gold (which is being mapped to Platinum Elite). My assumption is that when we eventually merge accounts it would pick the higher status, which in this case is 'Platinum Elite'?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
I was LTG with SPG when I login to SPG and MR site both show Platinum Elite, according to the two websites I have 9 Platinum (7 SPG and 2 MR) years and 829 (SPG) and 27(MR) LT nights. Hope this stands for me then I will be LTPP by the end of the Year doing at least combines PP this year
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikmort
I'm in a similar situation (SPG Gold that was matched to Marriott Gold). When I login with my existing SPG credentials it shows 'Gold Elite'. When I login with my existing Marriott credentials it show as 'Platinum Elite'. This makes sense, as I wouldn't be surprised if the Marriott system didn't really know exactly how I got to Marriott Gold (which is being mapped to Platinum Elite). My assumption is that when we eventually merge accounts it would pick the higher status, which in this case is 'Platinum Elite'?
What does your status show when you log into the Marriott app (not website)?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by carrotjuice

What does your status show when you log into the Marriott app (not website)?
Carrotjuice,

The issue isn’t app versus website. The Marriott App is pulling your legacy SPG account (which now has a new 9 digit number) while the website is pulling your legacy Marriott account.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adelphos

Carrotjuice,

The issue isn’t app versus website. The Marriott App is pulling your legacy SPG account (which now has a new 9 digit number) while the website is pulling your legacy Marriott account.
Thanks for the “forensics”. So which is my correct status?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by carrotjuice

Thanks for the “forensics”. So which is my correct status?
No clue, most people seem to think it will be Platinum until January 1 2019, then both should go to gold (assuming you don’t qualify for a higher status with stays). I also guess it depends on which Marriott number you use when you make a reservation. But no one has confirmed that. These Platinum statuses could be gone tomorrow.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:44 am
Original Poster

I don’t think your theory of Marriott app reading from SPG app is correct... because my Marriott app now is showing Platinum status just as the website does!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:06 am

I combined my accounts, with both the spg and mr showing Plt, presumably due to my LT Gld with spg and subsequent link with mr. Still Plt after combining. Depending on how the system is setup it might be more involved to trace the origin of a given status post combining... What I do know is this probably quite far down on priority list with respect to IT fixes. No 1 is to ensure all reservations are present and correct and to facilitate transactions on marriott.com...to grant even a significant amount of accounts a higher status for 4 months is not as a big problem as thousands of guests showing up with incorrect or abscent reservations.
It could also be so that someone did not put this in the final spec to IT and then of course it's just not going to happen.

​​​

​​​
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:50 am

Was thinking about combining accounts this AM as I need to make a Marriott reservation, but the combine accounts webpage has a button that says "Coming soon". How were you able to do this today?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by ckelly14
Was thinking about combining accounts this AM as I need to make a Marriott reservation, but the combine accounts webpage has a button that says "Coming soon". How were you able to do this today?
I just clicked on the link and at that moment in time it was available to combine the account so I just did it. 30 min earlier combination was not available so maybe I was a trial case ... who knows... the IT aspect of this merger is less than stellar
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by X-ON
I just clicked on the link and at that moment in time it was available to combine the account so I just did it. 30 min earlier combination was not available so maybe I was a trial case ... who knows... the IT aspect of this merger is less than stellar
It's by account. Depending on your account, the option to merge accounts may or may not be available yet. Source:

Originally Posted by Marriott Insiders
To ensure site stability, account combine functionality will be rolled out to members in batches through Monday.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:32 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I thought I saw something stating that Marriott is adding the ability to combine accounts in "waves". I also don't have the ability to combine my accounts yet. Some of us may have to wait a while longer for our time to come.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Adelphos

No clue, most people seem to think it will be Platinum until January 1 2019, then both should go to gold (assuming you don’t qualify for a higher status with stays). I also guess it depends on which Marriott number you use when you make a reservation. But no one has confirmed that. These Platinum statuses could be gone tomorrow.
Reset date

i was hoping Platinum would last until end of February 2019, since that’s when SPG and Marriott would normally reset.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:52 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beachmiles
i was hoping Platinum would last until end of February 2019, since that’s when SPG and Marriott would normally reset.
You could be right, but given this is a very "special" situation, all we can do right now is guess. Hopefully, after the dust settles a bit from this weekend's (and ongoing) changes, we will find out more about how some of those "details" will work out.
beachmiles likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.