Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rewards Plus

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, World of Hyatt Discoverist, Ultimate Rewards, AMEX
Rewards Plus

Before the Marriott website went down earlier today I noticed that one of the benefits listed for Marriott Platinum Elite status was United Mileage Plus Silver membership. I believe this is a previously unannounced benefit and was listed as benefit for both Platinum and Platinum Premier elites. If this is in fact the case it would be a significant win for old Marriott Golds since the benefit was previously limited to old Marriott Platinum Elite members who are now Marriott Platinum Premier Elites. Currently, the Rewards Plus website is down and asks to check back on August 22nd.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:17 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by travelling companion
Before the Marriott website went down earlier today I noticed that one of the benefits listed for Marriott Platinum Elite status was United Mileage Plus Silver membership. I believe this is a previously unannounced benefit and was listed as benefit for both Platinum and Platinum Premier elites. If this is in fact the case it would be a significant win for old Marriott Golds since the benefit was previously limited to old Marriott Platinum Elite members who are now Marriott Platinum Premier Elites. Currently, the Rewards Plus website is down and asks to check back on August 22nd.
And a loss for LTPP... i hope we get *gold...
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:37 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Looks like it. The new Platinum page (it's loading for now!) says "Platinum Elite and Platinum Premier Elite members enjoy complimentary United MileagePlus Premier® Silver Status." Looking forward to reading more details once the new RewardsPlus page is up.

Definitely a plus in benefits for those of us who were legacy gold in Marriott. But Silver on United is also on par to what legacy SPG platinum folks got on Delta via Crossover Rewards, so that's a nice continuation (though I'm guessing the "double dip" in earnings that Crossover Rewards allowed won't be a part of the new RewardsPlus). Though most of my current flying is on DL, I might be tempted to try out United with the new MilleagePlus benefits.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
It's interesting to see how it shakes out. The members.marriott.com FAQ states uneqiovocally that Platinum Premier in MR will be matched to United MileagePlus Premier Silver. However, now that the www.marriott.com refreshed page with new tiers has come up, the MR Plat elite level page (and PP level page) both state that MR Platinum and Platinum Premier (50 and 75 night tiers in the program respectively) will get MP Silver status.

I find that kind of odd, as it would be having the cross benefit to the UA Elites on MR side (UA Gold and higher now in post-08/18 program matches still to Gold, but that's a 25 night level now that no longer provides breakfast or lounge access) be less generous in the merged program while making the UA Benefit to the MR elites more generous (before, only the 75 night level in MR Level got it.)

The RewardsPlus page on the Marriott side is also down for updates until August 22nd, but the FAQs still state that the match will be PP and higher to UA Silver. However if they are updating the main RewardsPlus page, it's conceivable that the information in this FAQ is outdated.

I guess we'll see in a couple days which part of the site is mistaken (Elite Benefits page for Plats, or members.marriott.com/RewardsPlus FAQ).

EDIT: RewardsPlus terms on MR side are pretty clear on this that they were updated for August 2018 (link) and that:

Originally Posted by RewardsPlus Terms
Eligibility and Registration for the RewardsPlus Program Status Offering
[...]
To register for the complimentary status offerings of the RewardsPlus Program (the "Status Offering"), you must meet the following qualification criteria ("Criteria"):
[...]
To register your request for complimentary MileagePlus Premier Silver status: A Marriott Loyalty Program member must hold an active, validated account with either Platinum Premier Elite or Platinum Premier with ambassador Elite status in the Marriott Loyalty Program. If so validated by the Marriott Loyalty Program, the Marriott Loyalty Program member will be able to register to receive complimentary MileagePlus Premier Silver status through the RewardsPlus Program. Marriott Loyalty Program members who hold Gold Elite, Silver Elite, or basic status in the Marriott Loyalty Program are not eligible to register for complimentary MileagePlus Premier Silver status or any other status in the MileagePlus Program through the RewardsPlus Program. Members who meet the Criteria as a result of holding trial Elite status in the Marriott Loyalty Program, including without limitation as a result of the "Taste of Elite" program are not eligible for complimentary status offerings through the RewardsPlus Program. Registration requests from members who otherwise meet the Criteria for complimentary status offerings through the RewardsPlus Program will not be granted such status in the event the member already holds equivalent or higher status in the MileagePlus Program.
Originally Posted by t1c
Before PP was a criteria with published status and was invite only to top stay/spenders in MR, they did for a year or two match them to UA Gold. The 75 night level (Plat in old MR, Plat Premier in new MR) always got UA Silver under RewardsPlus.

Would I like Gold more as new LTPP? Yes.
Do I expect to get anything more than silver? No, and frankly, as long as Silver remains available to people with LTPP I'll be greatly appreciative anyways as MR/UA could chose to limit it to current year qualifiers like the 50/75 night awards like the SNAs.

Last edited by phltraveler; Aug 19, 2018 at 6:07 am
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, World of Hyatt Discoverist, Ultimate Rewards, AMEX
Originally Posted by ryw
Looks like it. The new Platinum page (it's loading for now!) says "Platinum Elite and Platinum Premier Elite members enjoy complimentary United MileagePlus Premier® Silver Status." Looking forward to reading more details once the new RewardsPlus page is up.

Definitely a plus in benefits for those of us who were legacy gold in Marriott. But Silver on United is also on par to what legacy SPG platinum folks got on Delta via Crossover Rewards, so that's a nice continuation (though I'm guessing the "double dip" in earnings that Crossover Rewards allowed won't be a part of the new RewardsPlus). Though most of my current flying is on DL, I might be tempted to try out United with the new MilleagePlus benefits.
Yes, I think that it could be tempting for many Marriott Platinum elites a least try United flying even if they don't offer the double dip.

Originally Posted by phltraveler
It's interesting to see how it shakes out. The members.marriott.com FAQ states uneqiovocally that Platinum Premier in MR will be matched to United MileagePlus Premier Silver. However, now that the www.marriott.com refreshed page with new tiers has come up, the MR Plat elite level page (and PP level page) both state that MR Platinum and Platinum Premier (50 and 75 night tiers in the program respectively) will get MP Silver status.

I find that kind of odd, as it would be having the cross benefit to the UA Elites on MR side (UA Gold and higher now in post-08/18 program matches still to Gold, but that's a 25 night level now that no longer provides breakfast or lounge access) be less generous in the merged program while making the UA Benefit to the MR elites more generous (before, only the 75 night level in MR Level got it.)

The RewardsPlus page on the Marriott side is also down for updates until August 22nd, but the FAQs still state that the match will be PP and higher to UA Silver. However if they are updating the main RewardsPlus page, it's conceivable that the information in this FAQ is outdated.

I guess we'll see in a couple days which part of the site is mistaken (Elite Benefits page for Plats, or members.marriott.com/RewardsPlus FAQ).

EDIT: RewardsPlus terms on MR side are pretty clear on this that they were updated for August 2018 (link) and that:

Before PP was a criteria with published status and was invite only to top stay/spenders in MR, they did for a year or two match them to UA Gold. The 75 night level (Plat in old MR, Plat Premier in new MR) always got UA Silver under RewardsPlus.

Would I like Gold more as new LTPP? Yes.
Do I expect to get anything more than silver? No, and frankly, as long as Silver remains available to people with LTPP I'll be greatly appreciative anyways as MR/UA could chose to limit it to current year qualifiers like the 50/75 night awards like the SNAs.
There does seem to be conflicting information, however, it could simply be that the Rewards Plus terms have not yet been updated. I guess we will see on August 22nd.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
The way I read it is that regular Plats have to also be ambassador (which is spend based). I suppose it is possible to get ambassador and not plat premier elite.

Hope I am wrong as I am Plat Premier (one of those legacy Gold) that would take advantage of the situation... Of course next year with the combined nights I will be Lifetime Plat Premier Elite anyway so if the program is still the same I will get it thin.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by t1c
Last year Marriott Platinum Premier elites did get bumped up to UA Gold, but it was a temporary promotion just for 2017, I believe.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by smgainey
Last year Marriott Platinum Premier elites did get bumped up to UA Gold, but it was a temporary promotion just for 2017, I believe.
same as UA GS mapping to Marriott Plat
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:06 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Strange that the website says Platinums get United Silver in that all the other communications prior suggested it would remain a 75-night benefit.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott GE
Looks like it was a mistake and it's only Platinum Premier. Website has been updated: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...ts/platinum.mi
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:06 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Death by a thousand cuts continues. SPG PLT = MR GLD.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
was planned for 22, online but not working and now offline and planned for 24... the kings of IT ))
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uxb
Hey I am not loving the past 5 days just like anyone, but let's be factual too...no SPG Plat will be downgraded to the new 25 night level
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: AF Plat, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by uxb
Where's the cut? Pretty sure this benefit was always at the 75 night + level.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:05 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by wsommerv
Where's the cut? Pretty sure this benefit was always at the 75 night + level.
RewardsPlus was granted to PMMR PLT, which we all were during the transition. With the newer categories, however, PM*W PLT = PMMR GLD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.