Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by rustykettel
This just kills me. Complying with the rules of the offer but not with some unwritten one is fake meetings or scammers. Easy enough, make it a minimum spend/event hours or require minimum attendance at an event (previous rule was silent on this, other than the event organizer was explicitly not required to attend).

Luckily for those putting in nights, that senior manager and his peers so far haven't connected the dots and realized, rather than scammers and fake meetings, they've identified a subset of Marriott customers that are willing to pay cash for an elite benefits subscriptions. On top of their existing bookings (or perhaps more as elite benefits increase the incentive to book over an unaffiliated property).

Marriott nets about $150-$450 in royalties (2%-6% per their filing) on the low end for a Platinum Premier (assuming 75 nights at $100 FI/SHS). I'd guess their target is about $200/night based on the dollar spend for ambassador, so $300-$900 in royalties. They could be selling PP outright for 2x or 3x of that same revenue and pocketing the difference. Again, lucky for those putting the butts in beds that they aren't.
Since the old thread was started in 2010, I would assume Marriott knew about people booking cheap meetings in order to earn or maintain status. Although Marriott could have put a minimum spending requirement, they decided not to do so. Perhaps the idea that someone was willing to pay for status wasn't something that bothered them. Gold and Platinum status was a perk from spending specific amounts on the Ritz-Carlton card, so the concept of obtaining status in ways other than spending nights in a hotel wasn't always considered a scam.

Hilton introduced the Aspire card last year, which in my family's case resulted in our being paid to have Diamond status.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:08 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by ordfreqflyer
And I am in a race to hit 750 nights by year end to lock in lifetime platinum premier. I am going to be about 7 nights short of that goal and I’ve read that you earn 10 qualifying nights for booking your first Marriott Meeting. I want to do this without issuing an RFP and there have been some bloggers who indicated you can book a Meeting room instantly without an RFP or having to visit the hotel. Has anyone does this and if so, which hotels allow this type of instant online booking? Any help is much appreciated and thanks
Why don't you show up for the Rewarding Event Meeting and do the work? It's a tough sell to the hotel's compliance department that they should charge a ghost customers credit card for some online booking and there is a no-show and proceed to credit the account for the meeting. Is it a fraud to screw the hotel? Is there a valid contract? What to do if there is a charge-back? What happens if Corporate Marriott does calls the franchise hotel to ask? Will management need to lie then? Risk is not worth the mere revenue of a few hundred dollars.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:22 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
This just kills me. Complying with the rules of the offer but not with some unwritten one is fake meetings or scammers. Easy enough, make it a minimum spend/event hours or require minimum attendance at an event (previous rule was silent on this, other than the event organizer was explicitly not required to attend).

Luckily for those putting in nights, that senior manager and his peers so far haven't connected the dots and realized, rather than scammers and fake meetings, they've identified a subset of Marriott customers that are willing to pay cash for an elite benefits subscriptions. On top of their existing bookings (or perhaps more as elite benefits increase the incentive to book over an unaffiliated property).

Marriott nets about $150-$450 in royalties (2%-6% per their filing) on the low end for a Platinum Premier (assuming 75 nights at $100 FI/SHS). I'd guess their target is about $200/night based on the dollar spend for ambassador, so $300-$900 in royalties. They could be selling PP outright for 2x or 3x of that same revenue and pocketing the difference. Again, lucky for those putting the butts in beds that they aren't.
I think the old Marriott program's lifetime status, the constraint factor is the 2 million Marriott Points and a much smaller factor is the 750 nights which can be earned by roll-over and credit cards and real/fake meetings. The SPG constrained factor on lifetime status is time (10 years plat) and nights (butt-in-bed 50 nights / or 25 stays each year). Those two weigh equally.

So when the program merged, the teams need to decide where to go from the future. Since Marriott bought Starwood and considers the SPG program is one of the crown jewels, the SPG team has the most say on the program going forward as the program head was from SPG. This means this merged SPG/Marriott program now looks more like the old SPG program than the old Marriott program. Thus you see a reduction on those legacy easy-night-generating "special features" like spending 3000 on credit card to get a night, or booking an empty meeting for 10 nights with no limits , or roll-over nights (counting them twice).
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Hi,

I'm looking into booking a meeting room to get the over the line for platinum premier. The free night pays for the 50 GBP for a 1h meeting in any case.

I was pretty honest with my reasons for the meeting with the hotel and received the below. Is there any minimum spend requirements? I cant find this in the T&C's.

-----

Unfortunately we are not able to guarantee that you will receive elite nights for this booking as we do not have access to your points information. The 10 elite nights are only awarded for the first qualifying event (which reaches the minimum spend) of the calendar year.

If the meeting room is not used, this will be processed as a no-show which is not eligible to receive points.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
The hotel doesn't award the elite night credits, Marriott corp does. As long as they use the Group Posting Tool, you should be fine. No min spend requirement for this type of booking.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jamesie_version1
Hi,

I'm looking into booking a meeting room to get the over the line for platinum premier. The free night pays for the 50 GBP for a 1h meeting in any case.

I was pretty honest with my reasons for the meeting with the hotel and received the below. Is there any minimum spend requirements? I cant find this in the T&C's.

-----

Unfortunately we are not able to guarantee that you will receive elite nights for this booking as we do not have access to your points information. The 10 elite nights are only awarded for the first qualifying event (which reaches the minimum spend) of the calendar year.

If the meeting room is not used, this will be processed as a no-show which is not eligible to receive points.
However, I don't think you can pay for a meeting with a free night cert. If the hotel agreed to accept it, I would assume that they were somehow planning to assign you a regular hotel room which you wouldn't use and then somehow give you access to a meeting room. It would probably post as one room night, not ten, and of course no show means no points if the T&C are being followed.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:40 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
With apologies for my sudden reintroduction to this thread, but I wondered whether the thread consensus finally has accepted that the new Loyalty Program Rewarding Events terms dictate the 10 elite nights for ONLY the first meeting each year or whether this still is being debated?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:31 pm

I just booked a Meeting Room for a "few interviews" $100.00 for the day at a Fairfield that uses a converted hotel room into a small conference room. Anything I should make sure the contract has on it to get the Rewarding Events Night Credits. I am 4 nights short for the year to maintain Status.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:28 pm

Thanks, I will follow through with it

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, I don't think you can pay for a meeting with a free night cert. If the hotel agreed to accept it, I would assume that they were somehow planning to assign you a regular hotel room which you wouldn't use and then somehow give you access to a meeting room. It would probably post as one room night, not ten, and of course no show means no points if the T&C are being followed.
Sorry for being unclear. I will pay the 50gbp and then will be able to claim a free night award after breaking the 75 night mark.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by bhrubin
With apologies for my sudden reintroduction to this thread, but I wondered whether the thread consensus finally has accepted that the new Loyalty Program Rewarding Events terms dictate the 10 elite nights for ONLY the first meeting each year or whether this still is being debated?
Yes, it’s 10 elite nights only for the first meeting of the calendar year. Whether that is the first meeting of the year, or lifetime, is still not entirely clear. Should have some data points starting next month to see if the limitation is on a yearly basis or not.
MSPeconomist and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by rustykettel; Dec 3, 2018 at 3:59 pm Reason: see below
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:41 pm

Yes, it’s 10 elite nights only for the first meeting. Whether that is the first meeting of the year, or lifetime, is still not entirely clear. Should have some data points starting next month to see if the limitation is on a yearly basis or not.
the updated rewards terms and conditions from earlier this month lay it out pretty clearly.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by swintec
the updated rewards terms and conditions from earlier this month lay it out pretty clearly.
Was it per year or lifetime? Thanks
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by swintec
Thank you! I missed that. Clear as you say.

Updated my post above to strike that portion.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:15 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Yes, it’s 10 elite nights only for the first meeting of the calendar year.
Thank you and to the others here who now have cleared that up. I couldn’t stomach the back and forth debate on that which was so obvious to me even from the start.

As one who organizes many events and books large numbers of room blocks, it is nice to be back in the fold to keep appraised of any new details and future concerns.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Tmstewar2
I just booked a Meeting Room for a "few interviews" $100.00 for the day at a Fairfield that uses a converted hotel room into a small conference room. Anything I should make sure the contract has on it to get the Rewarding Events Night Credits. I am 4 nights short for the year to maintain Status.
just did this. Make sure your Marriott rewards number is on the contract!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.