FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1924217-marriott-bonvoy-events-program-between-aug-18-2018-end-2019-a.html)

wt286021788 Sep 1, 2018 10:32 am

Originally Posted by xar (Post 30155874)
The 10 EQN is guaranteed for holding the meeting as part of the "Rewarding Events" Program. This number is not proratable.
​​​​​​The "up to" statement should apply for the rooms that were booked, as part of this meeting which could be a value between 0 to 20

You are correct. That's what we all think about it. So I was then confused with his email "If the number of contracted Elite Night Credits across the three events is more than the number that appear in your account we will insist that be corrected. If the number of nights offered across the three events contractually sum up to the ten that are in your account, then that number is correct as contracted."

Currently, my first meeting was posted (before Aug 18th) and 10 elite nights were shown in my account, that's what he mentioned. Besides, I directly booked my meetings on the Marriott event website and haven't signed any contract. So how can they check the contracts? Truly confused and upset with his answer.

yeunganson Sep 1, 2018 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by xar (Post 30155879)
Yup. GPT v2.0 - Screwing FTs who held meetings since Aug 2018

I have a different perspective. The GPT is enhancing to perfect the original Rewarding Event designer's vision. That vision does not include booking no-show meetings for $100 to get 10 eligible nights.

​​​​​As for maximizer and gamers, I suspect it's the thrill of the game that is a motivating factor. I would argue a reasonably cautious person would have booked and executed these no-show meetings way before the Aug 1 (originally assumed) merger date. An extra 18 days in August gave a grace period of sort.
​​​​​​
I don't worry about those that held a mid-size event or corporate retreat because after customers spending thousands, I have faith the hotel can just do the "ebonus" system and pony up the nights to make custom whole.

Those in the thrill of the game, just like all games, sometimes you have grind. And spending 5/10/15 hrs calling Marriott to hunt down 10 nights is cost of cutting it close.
​​​​​​
​​

jeanie Sep 1, 2018 4:34 pm

I hope things get worked out for the people that paid for events.

Last November, before the announcement about the end of rollover nights, I took a gamble with rewarding events. I had 10 events, and because of rollover nights, ended up with 190 nights elite credit for it. Ended up being a little over $3 per night credit including taxes. We didn't know about LTPP at the time, but I did it to get to 750 nights and get to the old legacy LTP.

Well, after all of that planning and effort, I got to 750+ nights and over 2 million points in June. I was LTP in the legacy program (and I took a screenshot of it). Ironically, I am showing as PP because of all of those rollover nights. But they didn't give me LTPP. I wouldn't have been willing to do that for one year of status. I am showing as LTP in the merged program. Supposedly, they filled out a work order with IT to look into it a week ago.

These glitches are really annoying. If you paid for events under the old terms, then they should honor that. Hopefully, when things settle down, things will work themselves out.

wt286021788 Sep 2, 2018 12:45 pm

I just received the reply from communitymanagers of insiders.marriottrewards.com as following,

Unfortunately the 10 Elite nights are no longer posting for each event. In our terms and conditions it states that "These Program Rules [which are the current terms and conditions] supersede all previous terms and conditions applicable to the Legacy Programs or Loyalty Program.

This can be confirmed at this link:
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

-------------------------------------

I truly feel upset and I cannot agree that. Any comment? It will be great if someone in our team can contact higher level supervisor about this issue. Or I am truly worried about whether we could get our elite nights back.

RogerD408 Sep 2, 2018 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by wt286021788 (Post 30159048)
I just received the reply from communitymanagers of insiders.marriottrewards.com as following,

Unfortunately the 10 Elite nights are no longer posting for each event. In our terms and conditions it states that "These Program Rules [which are the current terms and conditions] supersede all previous terms and conditions applicable to the Legacy Programs or Loyalty Program.

I truly feel upset and I cannot agree that. Any comment? It will be great if someone in our team can contact higher level supervisor about this issue. Or I am truly worried about whether we could get our elite nights back.

So their prior interpretation (word) means nothing? Not surprised, but this might have to wait for management to come out of hiding to get it addressed.

wt286021788 Sep 2, 2018 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30159118)
So their prior interpretation (word) means nothing? Not surprised, but this might have to wait for management to come out of hiding to get it addressed.

But when the management will come out? I am afraid that they won't care about our 'small' issue.

rny321 Sep 2, 2018 3:22 pm

I thought community managers were volunteers and not employees reflecting corporate policy.

Consider providing a couple of examples that show why it is unreasonable to change the terms after you had completed your portion of the contract but before the company had fulfilled its obligation to you. Companies have enormous latitude to change the terms of its loyal program with little or no notice, but I think you have a strong argument for receiving credit based on the terms in effect at the time of the meeting.

xar Sep 2, 2018 8:13 pm

Wow that's harsh but i guess that the way large corporations operate these days. At the end of the day, they decide the rules.

8.10 Interpretation of Loyalty Program Rules.

All interpretations of these Loyalty Program Rules regarding membership are at the Company’s sole discretion, and the Company’s decisions will be final. In the event of any discrepancy between the English version and any translated version of these Program Rules, the English language version will govern.

Vince Chan Sep 2, 2018 10:46 pm

This is horrible. we used to only need 25 stay per year to hold Plat in SPG and soft landing in Marriott, plat challenging only 9 stay and every year. Now those all gone, even the free breakfast in restaurant is gone if we choose points for welcome gift, now they are even taking away this rewarding events? Only for first meeting?

I stay about 20 plus nights per year, thanks for the rewarding events I hold my plat until 2020.

I am not a US citizen so I don't have free nights from marriott credit card like you did. Now they taking away everything even the rewarding events, if next year the hotel experience is not even better, I am going to stay somewhere else or just pick one from Virtuoso list.

kklems Sep 3, 2018 7:42 am

Originally Posted by samwise6222 (Post 30152155)
EVENT DATES: 08/11/2018 - 08/11/2018

DATE POSTED: 08/30/2018

BASE POINTS EARNED: 240
ELITE POINTS EARNED: 60
PURCHASED BONUS POINTS: 0
PURCHASED DOUBLE & TRIPLE POINTS: 0
TOTAL EARNED & PURCHASED POINTS: 300
ELITE QUALIFYING NIGHTS:

Mine posted with 0 nights. Boo :(

I got a similar email but my points haven't posted yet. Did your points hit your account yet?

yeunganson Sep 3, 2018 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Vince Chan (Post 30160439)
This is horrible. we used to only need 25 stay per year to hold Plat in SPG and soft landing in Marriott, plat challenging only 9 stay and every year. Now those all gone, even the free breakfast in restaurant is gone if we choose points for welcome gift, now they are even taking away this rewarding events? Only for first meeting?

I stay about 20 plus nights per year, thanks for the rewarding events I hold my plat until 2020.

I am not a US citizen so I don't have free nights from marriott credit card like you did. Now they taking away everything even the rewarding events, if next year the hotel experience is not even better, I am going to stay somewhere else or just pick one from Virtuoso list.

If it's 20 nights a year, just do Expedia and save some money. There's got to be local resturant and street food that is more fun than the lounge if you're on holiday.

If you get amex Plat, there should be a Gold status with the new spg/Marriott. That gives a late checkout at 2:00pm

​​​​​The era of easy gaming on status is ending and I think that would be positive for the program.

​​​​

xar Sep 3, 2018 8:01 pm

Thats quite true. If you only average 20 nights a year you a better off using travel details (or just pay for it) as compared to spending money for mattress runs just to 'hold' the status.
The "top up" for 30 nights is around USD$3,000 so again is how much value you can extract (breakfast,lounge,late check out and lucky upgrades) from that 20 nights.

MasterGeek Sep 4, 2018 5:59 am

Originally Posted by yeunganson (Post 30162548)
If it's 20 nights a year, just do Expedia and save some money. There's got to be local resturant and street food that is more fun than the lounge if you're on holiday.

If you get amex Plat, there should be a Gold status with the new spg/Marriott. That gives a late checkout at 2:00pm

​​​​​The era of easy gaming on status is ending and I think that would be positive for the program.

​​​​

but that’s not good for me. Everything at Marriott is getting devalued after the merger :mad:

AAir_head Sep 4, 2018 1:05 pm

I think you're correct--it was a rather quick and very narrow [mis]reading on my part that led me to believe the requirement was for consecutive years at a given tier rather than total accumulated; similarly, for LTPP I'd thought if you didn't have LTP under the old system prior to 1 Jan 2019 you wouldn't be LTPP with the one-time exception. So thanks for setting me straight!

Incidentally, I got quite a shock when the new system first went online...it showed me as LTS! After a seeing your response, re-reading the transition and new program rules carefully, and doing a bit of points accounting it turned out that just before the new program went live my points total rolled over 1.2M resulting in LTS under the old rules (there were a LOT of low-$$ stays in lower-tier properties in my earlier travels). Things sorted out in the past week and it now shows LTP (and I expect it will roll to LTPP 1 Jan 2019).

Overall a pleasant surprise. My wife will be very pleased--she loves the perks but rolls her eyes whenever I insist we look for a Marriott property first... :)

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 30090386)
You appear to have some misunderstanding...

I'm well over 1K nights and have been Gold/Platinum for all of the past 15+ years... This should make you LTPP in the new program. Even if you are not currently MR LTP (lacking 2mm LT points) which would qualify for LTPP immediately when the new program starts when the sweep is done in Jan '19 you will have the nights and years needed, since both MR LTG and LTP years count towards the ten needed for LTPP in the new program.

consecutive years... There is no requirement for consecutive years. You need ten years at the fifty or higher level but not ten consecutive years.

mingzie Sep 5, 2018 2:38 am

Anyone have any update on the status of their credits?

No reply to either of my two emails after over a week..

cfischer Sep 5, 2018 2:53 am

Originally Posted by yeunganson (Post 30162548)

​​​​

Agreed. Well, partially. It was not gaming the system ... the system was meant to work that way. Same with the UA partnership. Now starting January 2019 we'll see much less crowded lounges and hopefully with that better service returning! A change I will like :)

ManFactSpendLA Sep 5, 2018 5:27 pm

So T&C have been updated:

5.3.d. Elite Night Credit.Members who hold Qualifying Events at Participating Properties also receive ten (10) Elite Night Credits for their first Qualifying Event, and then earn one (1) Elite Night Credit for every twenty (20) rooms booked and actualized, up to a maximum of twenty (20) Elite Night Credits per contract.

Still no change from what was posted...

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/ter...ault.mi#events

bhrubin Sep 5, 2018 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA (Post 30171744)

5.3.d. Elite Night Credit.Members who hold Qualifying Events at Participating Properties also receive ten (10) Elite Night Credits for their first Qualifying Event, and then earn one (1) Elite Night Credit for every twenty (20) rooms booked and actualized, up to a maximum of twenty (20) Elite Night Credits per contract.

That’s because the T&C wouldn’t need to include FIRST Qualifying Event if they were continuing the old program policy of 10 EQN for EACH Qualifying Event.

It’s pretty obvious that for the new program, only the FIRST Qualifying Event of the year will earn 10 EQN now. After that, events only earn EQN based on the number of room nights consumed. It’s really that simple.

phltraveler Sep 5, 2018 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA (Post 30171744)

We've debated the language upthread. This is one section of the T&C on rewarding events, ignoring the one that uses the term thereafter.

We're getting caught up in one update of the T&C language (the upgrade policy for plats) when the fact remains that there are still obvious current errors in the MR T&CS - section 4.3.e.i still references a section 5.8 on what benefits an ambassador provides that still does not exist.

While the intent of the overall program and highly, very, extremely likely meaning of the terms remains clear to me, I still agree with other posters that there is enough ambiguity for the current T&Cs on Rewarding Events to be misinterpreted, and I believe Marriott could make it abundantly clear pretty easily with slight language modifications on what they intended.

jerwong19 Sep 5, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi there, I've gone and tried to RTFF, but not having too much success finding good hotels online to book. I recently submitted an RFP to 3 local hotels and the cheapest was $300 per a one hour meeting. Could someone PM or help me with a hotel location that I can contact to book for a meeting event? Thanks in advance.

Resonant Programmer Sep 5, 2018 8:55 pm

Has anyone had nights post for an event after the merger?

wt286021788 Sep 5, 2018 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by mingzie (Post 30169016)
Anyone have any update on the status of their credits?

No reply to either of my two emails after over a week..

Called MR, still working on my case. No update yet. Truly not satisfied with them.

coljung Sep 7, 2018 12:20 pm

I’m also waiting.

i had 2 events. One on the 15th and one the next day. First one posted the 17th, second posted almost a week later.

Of course the nights for the second one haven’t appeared. I have a case open with Marriott, and it’s been a week of waiting. They keep saying it’s up to the hotel to clarify the contract and make the correction.
So im just in waiting mode. All agents i’ve spoken to say it should be ok, but the hotel has to clear up the process.

wt286021788 Sep 7, 2018 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by coljung (Post 30179332)
I’m also waiting.

i had 2 events. One on the 15th and one the next day. First one posted the 17th, second posted almost a week later.

Of course the nights for the second one haven’t appeared. I have a case open with Marriott, and it’s been a week of waiting. They keep saying it’s up to the hotel to clarify the contract and make the correction.
So im just in waiting mode. All agents i’ve spoken to say it should be ok, but the hotel has to clear up the process.

Same as you, though I have mentioned again and again this may not be the problem of the hotel, they always contacted hotel to solve this problem.

sethb Sep 7, 2018 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by DMPHL (Post 30153559)
Well, a weird thing happened to me. I had an event that completed in early August that had over 200 Room Nights...It posted just today, despite the hotel posting it to the GPT over two weeks ago. And it posted as 4 separate events, rather than 1. I imagine the hotel did that for some reason.

1. It seems like the posting, even though it was for an event that was both completed and posted before Aug. 18, posted under the new guidelines. As in, there weren't 10 nights awarded per event, but rather 2 (50 nights per "event").

2. The points that posted look to be under the new rules, as well.

So while I'm marginally upset that I got 8 Elite Nights instead of 10, I DID get twice the points. So, I imagine this isn't something I want to call in to get fixed, because I feel like I came out ahead. But weird that the system posted it like that.

As I posted way in the predecessor thread, the fine print said that you'll get rewarded according to what the program is at the time your event posts.

mingzie Sep 8, 2018 1:18 am

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 30180939)
As I posted way in the predecessor thread, the fine print said that you'll get rewarded according to what the program is at the time your event posts.

where?

reps said we would get the 10 nights on twitter and customer service

i doubt they'd put in specific language to say 'when it posts' - tahts bs

GoPhils Sep 8, 2018 5:19 am

I don’t see how this can be legal. Unlike most other aspects of the loyalty program, I believe most people who held Rewarding Events had an actual contract.

nycbklynsfo Sep 8, 2018 2:06 pm

I assume you're referring to this line "The number of Points or Miles to be awarded shall be determined in accordance with the Loyalty Program Rules in effect at the time of award." (https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/ter...ault.mi#events), but it seems to me that
  1. That line doesn't say that the number of EQN shall be determined by the time of the award.
  2. It still seems pretty arbitrary and underhanded to have the number of nights/points determined by how long it happens to take the hotel to post the event, whether Marriott's IT systems are down, etc, rather than when the contract was fulfilled.
  3. Any specific line of the Ts and Cs seems somewhat irrelevant given that the opening states "These Program Rules supersede all previous terms and conditions applicable to the Legacy Programs or Loyalty Program. Except as otherwise expressly prohibited or limited by applicable laws, Company may at any time amend, modify or supplement these Program Rules, the structure for earning awards (“Awards,” and individually, an "Award") and Award levels at any time, with or without notice, even though such changes may affect the value of Points or Miles, or the ability to obtain certain Awards (collectively “Program Rules Changes”). Loyalty Members are responsible for remaining knowledgeable of the Program Rules and any Program Rule Changes. Your continued participation in the Loyalty Program will constitute your acceptance of any such Program Rule Changes."
Personally, I'm still holding out hope that this is something Marriott will correct in our favor, but I'm not sure that it'll happen.

TheTravelPlaybook Sep 10, 2018 1:12 pm

Just a data point, I did a cheap meeting at an airport Springhill Suites on Friday. My stays and points posted today in my account.

RogerD408 Sep 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by TheTravelPlaybook (Post 30189097)
Just a data point, I did a cheap meeting at an airport Springhill Suites on Friday. My stays and points posted today in my account.

Presuming you mean nights? Had you done any meetings before during the year?

mingzie Sep 10, 2018 4:01 pm

Marriott is not helping us out after 3 weeks. Its been a month since my meeting. I am losing out on status benefits. Marriott why?? We are entitled to the 10 nights

No customer service whatsoever

mingzie Sep 10, 2018 5:12 pm

Who can we contact to get refund on Rewarding Events? (Marriott lied)

Hi, does anyone know anyone to contact to get a refund on rewarding events meetings?

Marriott is not honoring the old t&c for people who booked and held their meeting before the merger (but had it post after due to delays) despite telling us otherwise. If we had known the meeting would not award 10 elite qualifying nights, we would not book.

Anyone we can contact or follow this up with that will allow us to gain our nights back?

Marriott has no response at all to several queries after a month, customer phone service tells us to get lost or email the issue.

I am extremely disappointed in Marriott, I would like to get a refund on these as a matter of principle. Who can we fight against since Marriott is refusing to acknowledge us at all after a month and is brushing us under the rug.

Marriott customer service is extremely poor and this is borderline scamming the customers who booked the events over a few EQN that won't affect them much at all but that we are entitled to.

Kacee Sep 10, 2018 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by mingzie (Post 30189938)
Marriott customer service is extremely poor and this is borderline scamming the customers who booked the events over a few EQN that won't affect them much at all but that we are entitled to.

Did Marriott not provide a venue for your meeting?

stant Sep 10, 2018 5:22 pm

what did they lie about? Marriott said that only your first meeting after the 18th would give 10 EQNs. was this your first meeting?

mingzie Sep 10, 2018 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by stant (Post 30189967)
what did they lie about? Marriott said that only your first meeting after the 18th would give 10 EQNs. was this your first meeting?

All meetings were booked and took place before the merger. As stated by Marriott, meetings before the merger would have the old t & c honoured.

mingzie Sep 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30189956)
Did Marriott not provide a venue for your meeting?

That is like saying. Iberia can freely offer a 9000 point per ticket promotion.

When Iberia refuses to give the 9000 points.

"Did Iberia not provide a flight for your booking"

stant Sep 10, 2018 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by mingzie (Post 30189973)
All meetings were booked and took place before the merger. As stated by Marriott, meetings before the merger would have the old t & c honoured.

WELL... the new t&c says that anyone found to be abusing the program can be subject to having their membership revoked.
do you REALLY want to press the subject, or was this a legit meeting set up by a professional meeting planner (you)?

mingzie Sep 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by stant (Post 30189995)
WELL... the new t&c says that anyone found to be abusing the program can be subject to having their membership revoked.
do you REALLY want to press the subject, or was this a legit meeting set up by a professional meeting planner (you)?

How is that abusing the program?

We held the event, attended the event, didn't get our EQN.

Nowhere does it say you have to be a 'professional meeting planner'. Just that you planned and booked the meeting.

Please stop defending this company. They created the rules and we played by them.

I have an invoice and email proof. In fact gimme a minute and we can find the official communication from Marriott about this issue.

I'll happily get my membership revoked to fight for what I deserve, all it would achieve is show what a scumbag company this is

SkiAdcock Sep 10, 2018 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by mingzie (Post 30189973)

If the meetings were booked & took place before 8/18, I would expect the original T&Cs to be honored.

Originally Posted by stant (Post 30189995)

Maybe it's just me but I don't automatically jump to someone abusing the system. If the OP booked his/her events according to the legit T&Cs at the time & did the appropriate things, then s/he should expect to have them honored.

To the OP - escalate the issue.

Cheers.

mingzie Sep 10, 2018 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 30190006)
If the meetings were booked & took place before 8/18, I would expect the original T&Cs to be honored.

Maybe it's just me but I don't automatically jump to someone abusing the system. If the OP booked his/her events according to the legit T&Cs at the time & did the appropriate things, then s/he should expect to have them honored.

To the OP - escalate the issue.

Cheers.

​​​​​​Hi, I do not know how to escalate the issue. I've called Marriott ten times, I have three support tickets open.

No reply to any communication channels whatsoever. It feels like a black hole and we were left in a ditch to die.

Not a single person has had their pre Aug 18 meeting honored or query responded to. Marriott is just brushing this under the rug and ignoring anyone affected..