FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1924217-marriott-bonvoy-events-program-between-aug-18-2018-end-2019-a.html)

DealAddict Sep 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30196929)
Unfortunately, whether the OP agrees or not, many of us believe those no-show meetings are fraudulent attempts to gain status that isn't deserved. Regardless of what Marriott ultimately decides to do, that sentiment here is unlikely to change.

If the hotel wants to charge $ for the no show meetings and makes a promise to give the points and nights I think all questions about whether or not something is deserved goes out the window..

bosman Sep 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 30195256)
As a legit events planner, I've sent a long email to the account executive and sales manager at properties and Marriott's central offices (about 30 people total) that I've dealt with over the years.

I've made them clear that I am only doing events and meetings at Marriott branded properties because there are zero incentives to do so. Getting rid of the 10 elite-qualifying nights is one thing, but not counting my $250,000 a year in spending, or even a fraction of it, toward the ambassador threshold is an insult.

I assume you meant to say "not doing events..." in the second paragraph instead of "only doing events...". My company instituted a policy where our meeting planners do not accept the points, etc on any events/meeting contracts as it eliminates any question whether deals are being influenced by personal gain. Obviously, everyone will have a different perspective on this and I don't necessarily blame anyone for feeling differently, but I personally prefer our approach as I don't want my colleagues wondering "why does Bosman get all those hotel points off our meetings?"

C17PSGR Sep 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by bosman (Post 30197056)
I assume you meant to say "not doing events..." in the second paragraph instead of "only doing events...". My company instituted a policy where our meeting planners do not accept the points, etc on any events/meeting contracts as it eliminates any question whether deals are being influenced by personal gain. Obviously, everyone will have a different perspective on this and I don't necessarily blame anyone for feeling differently, but I personally prefer our approach as I don't want my colleagues wondering "why does Bosman get all those hotel points off our meetings?"

I follow a similar approach when I do have meetings in that I have an assistant or marketing coordinate everything, although they can get the points. Additionally, this allows me to focus on costs, location, etc.

That being said, I think there are at least a couple of posters on here who have appear to have businesses where meetings and booking multiple rooms are a core part of their business and it obviously makes sense for them to maximize their benefits so I don't have a problem with that. Hopefully, MR can figure out some better incentives for them once they've sorted through the book a meeting at the XYZ FI for $50 and not show. Then again, MR can't even come up with a decent promo for business travelers ... but that's another thread :)

hockeyinsider Sep 12, 2018 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by bosman (Post 30197056)

Thanks. I corrected the typos.

xar Sep 12, 2018 9:00 pm

Someone upstream asked how did the RE contact looked like and here it is. (This is from Pre-merger and i am not sure if this has changed since)
Note that there is no mention of 10 EQN. But it was understood that EQN came along with the points back then.

Originally Posted by myself
REWARDS PROGRAM - REWARDING EVENTS
Approximately (10) business days after the conclusion of the Event (provided that the Event is not cancelled and member has otherwise complied with the material terms and conditions of this Agreement), the Hotel will either award Points or submit an award for airline miles to the Member(s) identified below:
Rewarding Events does not apply to Events booked by or on behalf of any governmental entity, including any federal, state or local agency or any other governmental body, and hotels may not award Points or airline miles to a government employee (or an intermediary booking on behalf of a governmental entity) in connection with the Rewarding Events program or otherwise in connection with planning, scheduling or contracting for an Event.

CHECK ONE OPTION BELOW:
q Award Points to the Contact (as identified on page 1 of this Agreement or the Authorized Signer of this Agreement)
Member Name __________________________________________________
Rewards Program Member Number ________________________________

q Award Airline Miles to the Contact (as identified on page 1 of this Agreement or the Authorized Signer of this Agreement)
Member Name __________________________________________________
Rewards Program Member Number ________________________________
Airline frequent flier account number _________________________________
Name of airline __________________________________________________

q Decline to Award Points or Airline Miles. The Contact and the Authorized Signer of this Agreement elect not to receive (and hereby waive the right to receive) an award of Points or airline miles in connection with the Event.
The number of Points or airline miles to be awarded shall be determined pursuant to the Rewards Program Terms and Conditions, as in effect at the time of award. The Rewards Program Terms and Conditions are available on-line at marriottrewards.com, and may be changed at the sole discretion of the Rewards Program at any time and without notice.

The individual(s) identified above to receive either Points or airline miles may not be changed without such individual(s)’ prior written consent. By inserting the airline mileage account information, the recipient elects to receive airline miles rather than Points. All Rewards Program Terms and Conditions apply. Member Name: (Printed)
Member Signature:

Date:

Please email completed form or fax the completed form to (760) 346-9305.

geminidreams Sep 12, 2018 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler (Post 30195902)
I think they do care about giving away status, hence the new program making it harder to earn status in several ways:
  1. The addition of the "years at X level or higher" requirement for the lifetime years, making very high activity years (100+ nights) not offset lower activity years (less than 10/25/50 nights)
  2. Elimination of the 1 EQN per $3,000 spent on the new Chase MR Visa, and the devaluation of the cert on the old MR visa to encourage people to upgrade
  3. Capping the credit card nights earned to 15 EQNs per year from either the Marriott Visa or SPG Amex (no double dipping if you have both)
  4. The apparent credit of 10 EQNs per meeting being reduced to 10 EQNs for the first meeting (unknown if first ever or first per program year; disputed language by some who think it is still 10 EQNs per contract and this behavior is an IT bug)
  5. Elimination of stay based qualification (SPG had, MR did not)
  6. Elimination of EQN credit for multiple rooms (SPG permitted EQN credit for up to three rooms at once, MR policy of only the one room member was staying in prevailed)
  7. Reducing the value of status matched via credit card (e.g. Amex Plat) of SPG Gold down to Gold tier which no longer gives free breakfast, lounge access. Same for airline status match (UA Gold used to Map to MR Gold with lounge access and breakfast, the 50 night level; now UA Gold and higher will map to the new MR Gold [25 night level] which provides neither of these.
  8. Elimination of rollover nights, which allowed elites to double dip nights by counting them once in the year they were earned, and a second time in the year they were rolled over to.

In this case I was referring to this particular situation. They allowed these benefits for almost a decade, I can hardly see them being particularly concerned about denying this because they just want to be hard nosed about it. They have enough people upset with the rollover that there is simply little to be gained by spending time on something so trivial when next year it will not reoccur.

For me I am lifetime gold and due to job circumstance am not travelling so much. The 3 rooms credit under the same booking when I would do a family trip once per year is what got me to platinum for several years. Prior to that I would often book cheaper hotels for those trips but the marginal cost to get platinum for those occasions got SPG about 25 extra room nights per year. Maybe it is not significant for them but Im sure my case is not an isolated one and there would be many who probably behaved similarly. As legacy SPG Ive never had the benefit of credit card nights so it is no loss. Same with the meetings credit.

phltraveler Sep 13, 2018 7:57 am

Originally Posted by xar (Post 30198033)
Someone upstream asked how did the RE contact looked like and here it is. (This is from Pre-merger and i am not sure if this has changed since)
Note that there is no mention of 10 EQN. But it was understood that EQN came along with the points back then.

That contract language doesn't make as nearly of strong of a case for getting the EQNs because all the contract promises to do is post the meetings AND it states that the terms for points/miles are whatever is in effect at the time of posting (which may be changed at any time without advanced notice).

Originally Posted by geminidreams (Post 30198330)
In this case I was referring to this particular situation. They allowed these benefits for almost a decade, I can hardly see them being particularly concerned about denying this because they just want to be hard nosed about it. They have enough people upset with the rollover that there is simply little to be gained by spending time on something so trivial when next year it will not reoccur.

The issue is pre-merger the system just awarded the nights. The only manual effort was hotel holding the meeting putting inputs into GPT, everything else (the points and EQNs) is programmatic.In order to get retroactive credit for 10 EQNs for pre-08/18 meetings that posted 08/18 or later, human intervention and time is required (either via programming to adjust the prior postings in a sweep, or manually for a human to review the inputs and somehow manually award the nights).

I'm not Marriott but I'd wager the group that this effects (people who hosted a second or other subsequent meeting after the first between August 4th and August 17th AND care about the EQNs) is likely small, so I'm not sure I would hold my breath on the sweep. As far as manual adjustment, that depends on how flexible Marriott chooses to be on it.

Marriott could easily stick to the "letter of the law" and point to the standard Rewarding Events language (@xar post a couple replies above this seems to contain the standard language) as awards being what was stated at time of posting and the contract explicitly not naming nights as "too bad, so sad"; the meetings [MENTION=801616]mingzie[/MENTION] held were processed within 10 business days, and those 10 business days happened to place the meetings as being processed after 08/18, when the terms of what a Rewarding Event would provide had changed.

If mingzie's contract explicitly states they will be given the nights on the other hand - they have a much stronger case, and I think once some of the more impactful IT issues are resolved (like old MR LTP/new LTPPs only being current status at Platinum among other current status issues), then I think MR will manually adjust the EQNs.

Vince Chan Sep 14, 2018 8:35 am

Originally Posted by yeunganson (Post 30162548)
If it's 20 nights a year, just do Expedia and save some money. There's got to be local resturant and street food that is more fun than the lounge if you're on holiday.

If you get amex Plat, there should be a Gold status with the new spg/Marriott. That gives a late checkout at 2:00pm

​​​​​The era of easy gaming on status is ending and I think that would be positive for the program.

​​​​

Why not using Virtuoso or FHR?

Probably better hotel, same benefit.

Vince Chan Sep 14, 2018 8:38 am

So starting 2019, is it certain that you can only earn 10 nights each year of your first meeting?

RogerD408 Sep 14, 2018 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Vince Chan (Post 30203151)
So starting 2019, is it certain that you can only earn 10 nights each year of your first meeting?

It's that or something else... :) It has not been made clear if it's annual or ever. Until MPG releases more specific T&Cs, we can only guess.

They are still working on the system and it appears that is how the new programs are working. There has also been discussions with program managers saying they missed the mark and suspect there are yet more changes coming down the pipe specific to Rewarding Events, but nothing you should hang your hat on at the moment.

Beltway2A Sep 14, 2018 9:16 am

Originally Posted by xar (Post 30198033)

That's the same as my post 18th language. Where you lose me is when you start with "it was understood", that's going to get you nowhere 99% of the time. Is the contract itself illusory given that Marriott can change the terms at any time? Someone is certainly welcome to argue that, but I wouldn't waste my time with it. As long as the points are posting according to the terms and conditions online at the time of posting, you got what you bargained for.

DMPHL Sep 14, 2018 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A (Post 30203285)
That's the same as my post 18th language. Where you lose me is when you start with "it was understood", that's going to get you nowhere 99% of the time. Is the contract itself illusory given that Marriott can change the terms at any time? Someone is certainly welcome to argue that, but I wouldn't waste my time with it. As long as the points are posting according to the terms and conditions online at the time of posting, you got what you bargained for.

I imagine that the delays, etc. are because of system integration and not any kind of scheming on Marriott's part, but I know for me the issue is around events (with more than 100 rooms) that were contracted last fall, completed by the first week in August and were posted to the GPT by the hotel before Aug 18th. Everything took place when Marriott's program's explicit terms were 10 Elite Nights per event.

So, the concern is that Marriott can sell you on booking with them with specific incentives, change the terms on a specific date, and just wait to post your event after the cutoff, so that they don't have to give you what they stated they were going to give you, event if every part of the process was completed before the cutoff date. If the cutoff date was in 6 months, could they just wait 6 months to post your event? Two years?

Again, I don't think necessarily that that's what they are doing, but if that's the logic, then at what point does it break down?

aba_bab Sep 14, 2018 12:25 pm

Just want to share an anecdote here as I could hardly believe the response I got.

I had a couple of meetings booked (showed up too incase that makes a difference) pre merger - in late July, and all of them posted except one from the YWJ Airport Marriott. The conversation about 10 Elite nights was clarified prior to booking the meeting. This property had given me the 10 business day schpiel and I was like fine whatever.

Anyways, fast forward till today, it's been 7+ weeks and i have to followup with the sales manager 2-3 times before I get a response from him. His latest response was ludicrous though. I mean - I could've gotten 20 different answers about not getting the nights that I would've been OK with and been like, "oh well".. but this guy replied to me saying "I talked to MR, and they see you had a couple of other nights posted as well from banquet events and its not clear from which property.. and it is really hard for tell"

That was it. I don't think I've ever been told my a company that the reason I will not get something I should be getting is because it 'too difficult' to look into it and I should not inconvenience them. SMH...

xar Sep 14, 2018 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A (Post 30203285)

You had to look at the contract i posted above plus the T&Cs wordings found in the pre-merger write up (https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...events-faqs.mi)

Spoiler

​​​​​

Beltway2A Sep 14, 2018 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by xar (Post 30204072)
You had to look at the contract i posted above plus the T&Cs wordings found in the pre-merger write up (https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...events-faqs.mi)

Spoiler

​​​​​

Now that's interesting. It's ambiguous what exactly

the Rewards Program Terms and Conditions, as in effect at the time of award. The Rewards Program Terms and Conditions are available on-line at marriottrewards.com, and may be changed at the sole discretion of the Rewards Program at any time and without notice
is referring to, if both sets of rules are currently online. You seem to be focusing a lot on the pre-merger writeup though, when it's the terms in effect at the time your rewards were awarded that matters. Though given that Marriottrewards.com just redirects to nothing useful, I'm not sure what to make of it.

Either way, it ultimately comes down to how much you'd be willing to spend suing Marriott over this. And I can't imagine it would be worth doing so over just spending nights paying for a hotel room.

benzylamine Sep 14, 2018 5:01 pm

Event elite nights

Hello,

Just want to get some DP about the event elite nights? Has anyone successfully received elite nights yet? i heard it only awards 10 nights for first event. What if someone stayed before merger, and stayed again after merge?

Thank you

aba_bab Sep 14, 2018 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by benzylamine (Post 30204761)
Hello,

Just want to get some DP about the event elite nights? Has anyone successfully received elite nights yet? i heard it only awards 10 nights for first event. What if someone stayed before merger, and stayed again after merge?

Thank you

Very interested to hear any success stories. After my experience with the Sales Manager, I escalated to the GM and think its absolutely useless to pursue this any further. She replied to me as well and is quoting me incorrect info ("pre merger, you could only earn Elite nights is you booked a block of 10 rooms".. smh).. but at least she is being polite.

Thankfully I booked 2 extra nights as a buffer and got my platinum for the year. Now including my future stays though, I'd be 10 away from a plat premier.. which doesnt really mean much to me other than 5 more suite night awards.

arthur -- flyer wanna be Sep 14, 2018 8:33 pm

since putting in a ticket last month, i have not heard back from customer service about the pre august 18th meeting issue,
so i also took the plunge tonight and emailed arne directly... hoping that there will be someone assigned to this case.
we all have different options in terms of spending our hard earned cash, and in booking meetings there are many different options. one of the enticing reasons to book at a marriott was that they were giving 10 qualifying nights per booking. one can definitely make a case that but for those 10 nights, there are plenty of other options to book meetings in hotels other than marriott. for meetings on or before Aug. 18, 2018, paid for by the customer, BUT FOR the actions of Marriott agents 'POSTING' too late, I believe there is definitely cause for action if Marriott does not apply the old program for these bookings.

anyways, will update y'all if i hear back.

bungonia Sep 17, 2018 4:05 pm

Greetings. After twelve years on Flyertalk I guess it's about time to post. I had a meeting last week at a Rewarding Events participating hotel. No charges other than the room. It was my first meeting of the year, although I have had several previous meetings but none for several years. The ten Qualifying Nights posted a few days later.
My experience would tend to confirm that "first meeting" refers to the first meeting of the year. Happy Travels.

jeanie Sep 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by bungonia (Post 30214588)
Greetings. After twelve years on Flyertalk I guess it's about time to post. I had a meeting last week at a Rewarding Events participating hotel. No charges other than the room. It was my first meeting of the year, although I have had several previous meetings but none for several years. The ten Qualifying Nights posted a few days later.
My experience would tend to confirm that "first meeting" refers to the first meeting of the year. Happy Travels.

Congrats on your first post! Thanks for the data point.

bhrubin Sep 17, 2018 4:11 pm

Thanks [MENTION=108024]bungonia[/MENTION] for the data point. And welcome to (posting on) FlyerTalk!

rmagritte Sep 18, 2018 6:18 am

Originally Posted by benzylamine (Post 30204761)
Hello,

Thank you

I had four meetings pre-merge, all billed and paid for pre-merge, all attempted (according to the hotels) to be entered into the GPT pre-merge. One of the four was successfully entered into the GPT pre-merge, and I received 10 EQNs for that meeting. The other three didn't hit the system until after the merge (even though two were in mid-July). Once those meetings were correctly entered, I received the standard e-mail confirmation, and points, but 0 EQNs for the post-merge entries. So my experience is that if you had any meetings pre-merge then those count as your "first event", and all post-merge meetings get no EQNs, at least until next year.

I am fighting to get those nights credited. So far it's been something like 12 calls over the span of six weeks, and things have been escalated about as high as they can go, but still no nights. Everyone I've talked with says that yes, I should get the EQNs, but there doesn't appear to be anyone that is capable of updating my account. Quite frustrating. At the very least, I now have a direct phone number and a contact, so I'm avoiding the hold times and explaining myself to a new associate each time I call.

RogerD408 Sep 18, 2018 6:29 am

Originally Posted by rmagritte (Post 30216509)
I had four meetings pre-merge, all billed and paid for pre-merge, all attempted (according to the hotels) to be entered into the GPT pre-merge. One of the four was successfully entered into the GPT pre-merge, and I received 10 EQNs for that meeting. The other three didn't hit the system until after the merge (even though two were in mid-July). Once those meetings were correctly entered, I received the standard e-mail confirmation, and points, but 0 EQNs for the post-merge entries. So my experience is that if you had any meetings pre-merge then those count as your "first event", and all post-merge meetings get no EQNs, at least until next year.

I am fighting to get those nights credited. So far it's been something like 12 calls over the span of six weeks, and things have been escalated about as high as they can go, but still no nights. Everyone I've talked with says that yes, I should get the EQNs, but there doesn't appear to be anyone that is capable of updating my account. Quite frustrating. At the very least, I now have a direct phone number and a contact, so I'm avoiding the hold times and explaining myself to a new associate each time I call.

Things are still in a scramble mode. I wouldn't surprise me if they haven't released the manual edit mode. Given you have made the contacts, there shouldn't be a problem getting the changes made once edit has been enabled. Keep good notes with names, dates, and discussions and keep repeating contact say monthly. Also track any missing credits that would have been due had they been able to update the account in a timely matter. Yes, it's a lot of work, but your only other choice is to let it pass.

coljung Sep 18, 2018 7:17 am

Same here. It's been 3 weeks with an open case, and multiple calls. All agents agree that i should be getting my missing nights any day now, and they keep blaming the hotel. I doubt it has anything to do with the hotel, they submitted my event on time, and i even received an email from marriottrewards with the event details. Still, of my 2 events, only the first 10 EQNs posted, second event posted after the merge, so im sure it has to do with the system blocking it somehow.

I'm getting tired of this waiting game. Last week i was told the hotel had to fix the issue otherwise they would get penalized. A week later i was told the same thing. And im sure the hotel must not be very happy with all the pressure Marriott is putting on them.

hockeyinsider Sep 18, 2018 8:43 am

I had five meetings at legacy Marriott properties on the books before August 1, 2018. I have it in writing from a senior Marriott executive that all of these will receive the 10 elite-qualifying nights. So, keep escalating.

I also had two legacy SPG meetings with contracts that gave me triple SPG points on the books before August 1, 2018. I'm waiting to see how this will be handled because -- if my math is right -- pre-8/18, 1 SPG point was 3 Marriott points. So, 1 SPG would be 9 Marriott points under a triple SPG points contract. Right? In other words, if I was to receive 20,000 SPG points because of an event but the hotel multiplied that by three to 60,000 SPG points then 60,000 SPG points would be 180,000 Marriott points. Right?

jbarm Sep 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 30216954)
I had five meetings at legacy Marriott properties on the books before August 1, 2018. I have it in writing from a senior Marriott executive that all of these will receive the 10 elite-qualifying nights. So, keep escalating.

I also had two legacy SPG meetings with contracts that gave me triple SPG points on the books before August 1, 2018. I'm waiting to see how this will be handled because -- if my math is right -- pre-8/18, 1 SPG point was 3 Marriott points. So, 1 SPG would be 9 Marriott points under a triple SPG points contract. Right? In other words, if I was to receive 20,000 SPG points because of an event but the hotel multiplied that by three to 60,000 SPG points then 60,000 SPG points would be 180,000 Marriott points. Right?

Three months out from a meeting in mid-June that has yet to be credited for the 10 nights. Have been promised umpteen times that I would get the credit to no avail.

Have seen a couple of attempts entered into system to get the 10 nights but zero nights credited.

Have had the same CSR working on it for the last 3 weeks but not successful yet. At least I have her emails as documentation!

We are low priority given the consolidation fiasco and hurricanes. Patience young padawans. :-)

jb

davidsc111 Sep 18, 2018 3:02 pm

I'm really glad I wrapped up my meetings before July...everything posted properly and in some cases even before the meeting date. I always followed the advice contained in the legacy "plat in 8 nights" thread and never had an issue. I wonder how many of the folks who didn't receive the 10 night credit have an actual meeting contract that clearly defines the 10 night credit. If you have a signed contract I can't imagine the credits not being posted eventually. Without a contract though... Unless you do a ton of biz with Marriott and/or they were legitimate meetings, interviews, etc... I put that at 50/50...

taiquanxx Sep 18, 2018 11:25 pm

New to here, need 10 nights to achieve my platinum. So what I need to do is visit https://www.marriott.com/meetings-events and submit a RFP. I think a 4 people, 1 hour meeting is enough and cost the less? What happen next is getting quotes from hotels by email, reach them and discuss about the quotes. Do I need to prepare the contract? Is there anything I need to pay attention? Thank you!

xar Sep 19, 2018 9:19 am

Originally Posted by taiquanxx (Post 30219895)
New to here, need 10 nights to achieve my platinum. So what I need to do is visit https://www.marriott.com/meetings-events and submit a RFP. I think a 4 people, 1 hour meeting is enough and cost the less? What happen next is getting quotes from hotels by email, reach them and discuss about the quotes. Do I need to prepare the contract? Is there anything I need to pay attention? Thank you!

Suggest to approach those hotels that publish their rates online and work from there. Also, given that your meeting is only for an hour, the publish rates should be halved before taxes.
If you book thru the website, they should be sending you a contract to sign after you input your credit card details.

samwise6222 Sep 19, 2018 10:30 am

I am genuinely pissed :rolleyes: I love how I was stuck with 100% of the bills the moment I signed the agreement, but they get to be all willy nilly on their end. :rolleyes: I was sorta counting on getting 20 nights for two events totaling on $33,250 (which I was obligated the moment I signed the agreement) - but guess I am not getting any.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...68591d7780.png

Kicking myself big for not going with Hyatt - which would have guaranteed 120,000 WoH pts for $30k spend (that's worth $3 - 5k to me). Now I am going to get 60,000 Marriott points which is worth what, four nights at a Courtyard and zero elite nights?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0841ed5a86.png

Hyatt T&Cs are crystal clear.

taiquanxx Sep 19, 2018 11:08 am

Originally Posted by xar (Post 30221341)
Suggest to approach those hotels that publish their rates online and work from there. Also, given that your meeting is only for an hour, the publish rates should be halved before taxes.
If you book thru the website, they should be sending you a contract to sign after you input your credit card details.

Thanks for the reply! If I also need a guest room and I tell them when I request the quotes. Any chance I am getting discount for the guest room? Or just the same as I book through the website.

davidsc111 Sep 19, 2018 11:46 am

Originally Posted by taiquanxx (Post 30221817)
Thanks for the reply! If I also need a guest room and I tell them when I request the quotes. Any chance I am getting discount for the guest room? Or just the same as I book through the website.

Generally unless you're booking 10+ rooms they will just tell you to book through the website, at least that is what has always happened to me.

yeunganson Sep 19, 2018 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by samwise6222 (Post 30221654)
I am genuinely pissed :rolleyes: I love how I was stuck with 100% of the bills the moment I signed the agreement, but they get to be all willy nilly on their end. :rolleyes: I was sorta counting on getting 20 nights for two events totaling on $33,250 (which I was obligated the moment I signed the agreement) - but guess I am not getting any.

I hope the event was successful and the most important part of the agreement - ie venue, the service at the event, the catering...etc went smoothly.

If I didn't 20 nights and that was enough to be roll-eyed pissed, I can imagine having a heart attack if things go wrong or hotel didn't perform up to expectations during the actual event. :p

xar Sep 20, 2018 1:11 am

Originally Posted by taiquanxx (Post 30221817)

Not sure about room discounts, but you do get additional night credit per x room if your meeting requires room bookings.
In any case, do raise this with the banquet/events manager once your meeting request has been submitted.

taiquanxx Sep 20, 2018 2:44 am

Originally Posted by xar (Post 30224331)
Not sure about room discounts, but you do get additional night credit per x room if your meeting requires room bookings.
In any case, do raise this with the banquet/events manager once your meeting request has been submitted.

Thanks! I do mention this when I submitted it. Let's see what happen next. Will report back.

samwise6222 Sep 20, 2018 7:27 am

Originally Posted by xar (Post 30224331)

Originally Posted by taiquanxx (Post 30224501)
Thanks! I do mention this when I submitted it. Let's see what happen next. Will report back.

under the new program, they will credit you one elite night per 20 nights booked.

stc Sep 20, 2018 10:07 pm

Sorry if this has been asked already, but I didn't read all 30 pages: It is 10 nights for your first meeting or 10 night for your first meeting per year?

bhrubin Sep 20, 2018 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by stc (Post 30228092)
Sorry if this has been asked already, but I didn't read all 30 pages: It is 10 nights for your first meeting or 10 night for your first meeting per year?

It’s 10 elite nights for your first meeting of the year. It’s also 1 elite night per 20 rooms nights consumed.

xar Sep 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30228174)
It’s 10 elite nights for your first meeting of the year. It’s also 1 elite night per 20 rooms nights consumed.

Actually this statement made me wonder about the following:
  • I take my extended family on yearly trips lasting for about a week.
  • But for simplicity, lets just say 5 rooms for a 3 night stay.
  • Suppose i book a meeting room to celebrate my grand daughter's birthday in that hotel.
Will this qualify as a Rewarding Events hence getting at least 10 EQN + 5 EQN (for 5 rooms) = 15 EQN?
Note: if they calculate nights for the entire stay duration then it would be another +10 EQN for a total of 25 EQN but i suspect its only for the date of the event.

Without RE, I would only be earning only 3 EQN for this family trip since only the first room is counted. (except for points which is for 3 rooms)

bhrubin Sep 20, 2018 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by xar (Post 30228225)
Actually this statement made me wonder about the following:
  • I take my extended family on yearly trips lasting for about a week.
  • But for simplicity, lets just say 5 rooms for a 3 night stay.
  • Suppose i book a meeting room to celebrate my grand daughter's birthday in that hotel.
Will this qualify as a Rewarding Events hence getting at least 10 EQN + 5 EQN (for 5 rooms) = 15 EQN?
Note: if they calculate nights for the entire stay duration then it would be another +10 EQN for a total of 25 EQN but i suspect its only for the date of the event.

Without RE, I would only be earning only 3 EQN for this family trip since only the first room is counted. (except for points which is for 3 rooms)

Rewarding Events requires contracts for a minimum of 10 rooms. So any purchase of rooms on an individual regular channel will not qualify for the 1 elite night per 20 (group) rooms consumed. Those are completely irrelevant to any date for any meeting.

Group nights and meetings are distinct. Earning 10 elite nights for the first meeting each year is an artifact of the old Marriott Rewards program. Earning 1 elite night per 20 (group) room nights is an artifact of the old SPG Pro program.