Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AC Hotel Cape Town Waterfront - South Africa [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Opening November 2018. No category yet. Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...wn-waterfront/

"Experience a new way to hotel at the AC Hotel Cape Town Waterfront, conveniently located just minutes away from the buzzing Victoria & Alfred Waterfront and just a 25-minute drive from Cape Town International Airport. Our 188 spacious rooms feel stylish, yet efficient and boast unparalleled views over the imposing Table Mountain, Lion's Head and Signal Hill. Savor the heritage of the brand’s Spanish roots with our delectable tapas from fresh and locally sourced ingredients or have a quick bite at our AC market, offering convenient grab and go products. To wind down after a long day, pass by the bar and sample the finest spirits locally crafted. Our bartenders are also true urban spirits who will share the unique buzz of the city and all it has to offer. Located within walking distance, the hotel is close to the Cape Town International Convention Center. It also features 4 flexible meeting rooms with a total of 250 sqm of event space, boasting natural day light and stunning views over the Harbor."
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Opening Dec '18. Cat 3.

Cheers.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Seems to be open from Dec 1 (or at least, it's letting me book...) I'm tempted just because it seems to be in pretty much the same location as the Westin but with lower rates, while the Africa Pride in town is undergoing renovations.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Officially open. Marriott press release:

AC Hotels By Marriott Opens First Hotel In Middle East And Africa In South Africa?s Mother City | Marriott News Center

Cheers.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:41 am

I’m right now at the Westin Cape Town, a few meters away. (Glad I didn’t book the AC if only because our arrival was yesterday and we could have been walked!)

The AC looks amazing from here and I can see a nice open air rooftop pool. It’s also not as isolated from the Waterfront pedestrian zone as the Westin. (It is, on the flipside, a little further from the Long Street/downtown area).

Since the suites at the Westin are underwhelming, the only factors in favour of the Westin over the AC would be the lounge. I doubt that justifies the Westin premium.

All in all, looks like another good addition to Marriott’s extensive choice in Cape Town.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the update/input!

Cheers.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: *A
Any advice now that it's open between the AC and 15 on Orange? Mainly care about the quality of the hotel itself, rather than the area. Platinum, so hoping for a nice room in either place.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:50 am

Haven't stayed at the AC yet but it would be hard to beat 15 on Orange. Attentive service, huge and high-quality breakfast spread, large rooms (many facing Table Mountain) a pleasant outdoor terrace and free secure parking. The pool at the AC looks bigger (the outdoor one at 15 on Orange isn't much bigger than a hot tub) but not sure if it has bar service. Perhaps the AC has more upgrade-available rooms?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium and LTT
I just stayed at 15 on Orange last week and am at the AC now. Overall, I’d go with the AC. 15 on Orange had a great location, if you are interested in being in more of the center of town and not necessarily near the V&A waterfront (which we didn’t love - felt like Navy Pier in Chicago to us, or somewhere equally as touristy). 15 on Orange is fairly recently renovated, although the rooms are a bit small and the open bathroom (tub in the middle of the room, literally) will not work for everyone. We were “upgraded” to a corner room with a Table Mountain view, but one side of the room directly faced some buildings belonging to Cape Town University, so we had to keep those curtains shut the majority of the time. As a party of 2 adults and one child, we found it cramped. The breakfast was decent (we live in and travel in Asia, so good by US standards but weak by Asian standards) but unless we got there early, it was a mess. Staff were overall fine. Pool is more of a showpiece than an actual swimming pool.

AC is brand new, and we were upgraded to a corner room with great views of Table Mountain, albeit over the city skyline. The room is spacious, including a nice sitting area, and the bathroom also. Our room wasn’t ready when we checked in, so we were given a standard room to shower and clean up in. That was also spacious and also had a proper sitting area. The breakfast (free for all guests) is phenomenal - definitely not the “standard” for AC hotels. Full hot buffet, as well as anything you’d like egg-wise, to order. Cheese bar, charcuterie, huge selection of breads, huge salad and veggie bar, sweet treats buffet, and a waffle and French toast station. Lots of fresh juices, a barista making coffees to order, and if you didn’t want to wait for that, a self serve coffee machine. The staff (with one exception) are enthusiastic and helpful. Parking is in the basement, though at 100 Rand (~$7 USD) per day. The downside? Location is very hard to find. We missed it 3x driving ourselves, and our Uber drivers had to pick us up at the Harbour Bridge Hotel (just around the corner, NBD). Also, you are a stone’s throw away from the V&A if that’s your thing, but due to fences, etc. it would require a walk around a few industrial-ish blocks to actually get there. Apparently there is a shuttle boat to the V&A but we didn’t take it.
bitterproffit and tg88742n like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the trip report & comparison. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Marno
The breakfast (free for all guests) is phenomenal - definitely not the “standard” for AC hotels. Full hot buffet, as well as anything you’d like egg-wise, to order. Cheese bar, charcuterie, huge selection of breads, huge salad and veggie bar, sweet treats buffet, and a waffle and French toast station. Lots of fresh juices, a barista making coffees to order, and if you didn’t want to wait for that, a self serve coffee machine.
Does anyone know if breakfast is still free for all guests? The hotel’s website lists a price of 195 ZAR, and they sell packages that include breakfast (although I’ve seen that at the likes of a Fairfield or Hampton Inn before). I wonder if this is an oversight or a change since they opened.

Originally Posted by Marno
Also, you are a stone’s throw away from the V&A if that’s your thing, but due to fences, etc. it would require a walk around a few industrial-ish blocks to actually get there. Apparently there is a shuttle boat to the V&A but we didn’t take it.
TA reviews seem to imply that there is now a pathway open to the V&A but that there is a gate somewhere on the path that is locked at night and can be unlocked by the front desk if you call.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:22 pm

Any recent stays at the AC? Website says currently closed until April 2022. How does it compare to Westin?
Old May 9, 2022, 6:59 am

I can't tell, did these guys re-open on May 1 as they said?
Old Jun 27, 2023, 10:38 am

Free breakfast

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Does anyone know if breakfast is still free for all guests? The hotel’s website lists a price of 195 ZAR, and they sell packages that include breakfast (although I’ve seen that at the likes of a Fairfield or Hampton Inn before). I wonder if this is an oversight or a change since they opened.
Here now on an award stay using points from P2's account (Titanium). We were upgraded to a corner larger king room. Breakfast is free, but I am unsure if for all guests or just Plat. & above.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 6:55 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Any recent stays/comments?
We will be staying here starting 7-March 2024

THANKS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.