Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Property Experiences during Marriott Workers Strike Fall 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: THIS THREAD IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR PROPERTY-SPECIFIC EXPERIENCES
This thread is not for discussing the merits of the strike or general discussion of unions! If that is of interest you can follow that discussion in Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018
Post in this thread which discuss the merits of the strike or are otherwise off-topic will be deleted, not moved to the other thread.

Properties with employees on strike or potentially on strike appear to include:

Detroit
  • Westin Book Cadillac Detroit By Marriott
Boston
  • Aloft Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Element Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Ritz-Carlton Boston Common by Marriott
  • Sheraton Boston by Marriott
  • W Boston by Marriott
  • Westin Boston Waterfront by Marriott
  • Westin Copley Place, Boston by Marriott
Oakland
  • Oakland Marriott City Center by Marriott
San Diego
  • The Westin Gaslamp Quarter San Diego by Marriott
San Francisco
  • San Francisco Marriott Union Square
  • Palace Hotel by Marriott
  • W San Francisco by Marriott
  • Westin St. Francis Union Square by Marriott
  • San Francisco Marriott Marquis
  • Courtyard San Francisco Downtown by Marriott
  • St. Regis San Francisco
San Jose
  • San Jose Marriott
Various Locations in Hawaii
  • The Royal Hawaiian by Marriott
  • Sheraton Maui Hotel by Marriott
  • Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort by Marriott
  • Sheraton Princess Kaiulani by Marriott
  • Sheraton Waikiki by Marriott
Seattle
  • Westin Seattle by Marriott
Print Wikipost

Property Experiences during Marriott Workers Strike Fall 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:34 pm

Lounge is open. Someone told me they staying in the lounge from 11 am to 9 pm til their room was ready. Things seemed to be running smoother so I think it would be better. The Sheraton and the Royal Hawaiian waived the resort fee without asking. I also got free parking with asking. Pool is open. I did not check out the bar.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:08 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
MODERATOR NOTE: THIS THREAD IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR PROPERTY-SPECIFIC EXPERIENCES
This thread is not for discussing the merits of the strike or general discussion of unions! If that is of interest you can follow that discussion in Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018
Post in this thread which discuss the merits of the strike or are otherwise off-topic will be deleted, not moved to the other thread.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:43 am

I'm supposed to stay here this week. Got this from the hotel:

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing to staying with us. We are currently in negotiations with our hotel workers’ union, which has resulted in some of our talent participating in a work stoppage. As you might have seen in the news this has impacted multiple Marriott hotels in Boston as well as across the country.

Our hotel operations team have implemented plans and are fully functioning and minimized any disruption to our guests during their stay with us. During this period, we will be modifying some of our hotel services:
  • Complimentary breakfast will be offered in the Gallery located on the lobby level from 6:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. daily
  • In-room dining will be unavailable but we have an array of local restaurants for delivery options.
  • W Lounge will be open from 12 p.m. to 12 a.m. for lunch and dinner service.
  • If you would like to opt in the Make a Green Choice, you will receive 2,000 points for each day you decline housekeeping.
The Local 26 Union Members do form a Picket Line at times on Stuart Street between 7AM – 7PM, but our Wheels (valet) department will be standing in the valet lane to assist in any way & welcome you to the hotel. Hotel security along with BPD will always be present at the front door & side walk. Once checked in there is always the option of using the Tremont Street entrance during the stay.

Thank you again for staying with us. Please know that we are working hard to minimize any inconvenience during your stay. If any of the modified services are a concern, please do share and we will adjust accordingly. If you have any further questions or need assistance, please call us at 617 261 8700

Sincerely,

W Boston Team
Should I cancel my stay and find a non Marriott hotel? Any actual experience recently?

https://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...497275141.html
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:11 pm

Wow, how did you find that rate? I'm checking in next week and have only found $300 and up. I'm not well versed on Marriott codes. Pm me?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Easttowest17
Wow, how did you find that rate? I'm checking in next week and have only found $300 and up. I'm not well versed on Marriott codes. Pm me?
I used a Marriott Best Rate Guarantee / Look No Further Claim form against Prestegia.com.

If you'd like more info on this click through to the BRG LNF thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...thread-11.html
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I spoke with someone today who stayed at the Marriott Gaslamp in San Diego. They said the stay was fine and the hotel gave them a $50 credit which they used for a free dinner.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:15 pm

Awesome, thank you!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Currently at the Marriott Marquis in SF. Demonstrations ongoing outside, but inside seems to be operating relatively normal. Some waits for people checking in and waiting for their rooms. I mobile checked in and my room was ready.

Lounge is still open. Limited staff on hand look exhausted.
Adelphos likes this.

Last edited by Antarius; Oct 17, 2018 at 8:18 pm
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Antarius
Currently at the Marriott Marquis in SF. Demonstrations ongoing outside, but inside seems to be operating relatively normal. Some waits for people checking in and waiting for their rooms. I mobile checked in and my room was ready.

Lounge is still open. Limited staff on hand look exhausted.
Can't imagine what it's going to be like next week with Oracle OpenWorld in town and most all of these hotels sold out or only showing 800+ dollar rates. They sure picked a good time to strike in SF ......
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Can't imagine what it's going to be like next week with Oracle OpenWorld in town and most all of these hotels sold out or only showing 800+ dollar rates. They sure picked a good time to strike in SF ......
this week is Anaesthesiologist 2018 and a defense attorney conference too. Wednesday the whole city was sold out with the lowest rate being 1200 or so. Next week will be more of the same with OpenWorld.

the nearby restaurants are extra full as the restaurants in the hotel are closed for the most part.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
Originally Posted by marubill
Have a reservation for the Palace next week, trying to cancel but only two available properties not affected in the area are JW ($600/night) and Park Central ($250/night). Was the Park Central bad?
UPDATE
I was unable to change my reservation so ended up staying at The Palace in SF.

Check-In/Out
The online check-in but was never processed, upon arriving to the hotel the elite line was empty and was taken care of immediately. No issues during checking, got platinum upgrade and a room facing the interior of the hotel to avoid outside noise. No issues at check-out either

I was not offered MAGC and did not request for one.The rooms was very clean when I got to my room and it was made daily (although only stayed for two nights.
Breakfast was well served with great selection and service.

Basically I had no issues outside from the very loud noise, but it did not bother me during sleep or breakfast. If I had to choose again at this time, will have no problem staying at the Palace again.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by marubill
UPDATE
I was unable to change my reservation so ended up staying at The Palace in SF.

Check-In/Out
The online check-in but was never processed, upon arriving to the hotel the elite line was empty and was taken care of immediately. No issues during checking, got platinum upgrade and a room facing the interior of the hotel to avoid outside noise. No issues at check-out either

I was not offered MAGC and did not request for one.The rooms was very clean when I got to my room and it was made daily (although only stayed for two nights.
Breakfast was well served with great selection and service.

Basically I had no issues outside from the very loud noise, but it did not bother me during sleep or breakfast. If I had to choose again at this time, will have no problem staying at the Palace again.
Seems like Marriott has improved the staffing levels at these hotels since the initial few days after the strike. Also, as the strike goes on, more and more striking employees tend to return to work.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: MYOB
Anyone stayed at the Royal Hawaiian during the strike? Is the Man Tai Bar open? Do they still have the Manager’s Reception once a week? Going there the end of Nov
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
I stayed at the st Francis oct 12-17. The strikers were super loud out front, but the noise ordinance keeps them quiet from 10p-7a.

The hotel was clean. The elite line was short. The regular line was medium-long.

The clock bar bar was open late, but it’s obvious the staff aren’t regulars. They did a decent job, though.

I wanted MAGC and it was frequently ignored. I did managed to get the front desk to give me the points.

Not a bad stay overall, but definitely a step down from the usual experience.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by xzh445
Anyone stayed at the Royal Hawaiian during the strike? Is the Man Tai Bar open? Do they still have the Manager’s Reception once a week? Going there the end of Nov
I have been discussing this with a friend here in China who will be arriving in a couple of days for his honeymoon. He was originally scheduled for the RH.

The tripadvisor reviews are grim: no housekeeping, no bar service, no valet, etc etc etc. I'd be royally PO'ed to pay RH prices for the off-the-interstate motel experience, as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.