Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Property Experiences during Marriott Workers Strike Fall 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: THIS THREAD IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR PROPERTY-SPECIFIC EXPERIENCES
This thread is not for discussing the merits of the strike or general discussion of unions! If that is of interest you can follow that discussion in Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018
Post in this thread which discuss the merits of the strike or are otherwise off-topic will be deleted, not moved to the other thread.

Properties with employees on strike or potentially on strike appear to include:

Detroit
  • Westin Book Cadillac Detroit By Marriott
Boston
  • Aloft Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Element Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Ritz-Carlton Boston Common by Marriott
  • Sheraton Boston by Marriott
  • W Boston by Marriott
  • Westin Boston Waterfront by Marriott
  • Westin Copley Place, Boston by Marriott
Oakland
  • Oakland Marriott City Center by Marriott
San Diego
  • The Westin Gaslamp Quarter San Diego by Marriott
San Francisco
  • San Francisco Marriott Union Square
  • Palace Hotel by Marriott
  • W San Francisco by Marriott
  • Westin St. Francis Union Square by Marriott
  • San Francisco Marriott Marquis
  • Courtyard San Francisco Downtown by Marriott
  • St. Regis San Francisco
San Jose
  • San Jose Marriott
Various Locations in Hawaii
  • The Royal Hawaiian by Marriott
  • Sheraton Maui Hotel by Marriott
  • Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort by Marriott
  • Sheraton Princess Kaiulani by Marriott
  • Sheraton Waikiki by Marriott
Seattle
  • Westin Seattle by Marriott
Print Wikipost

Property Experiences during Marriott Workers Strike Fall 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by chch_james
Reporting in from Waikiki Sheraton and boy is there some significant disruptions. Check-in at 4:00pm yesterday took over an hour and upon reaching the front desk we were informed that our room wasn't going to be available for an unspecified amount of time and to come back in two hours... After returning a couple of hours later I jumped the queue and the was able to get our room. I heard that a guest from Australia arrived at 9:00pm last night and they only got into their room at 10am this morning! Didn't get a great night sleep myself as the noise from the picket line kept going until at least 10pm and started again at 6am (we are on the 27th floor!) Very limited housekeeping (self-service shampoo, water etc beside the elevators) and a few of the restaurants are closed / limited hours.
Ugh, my next trip is to HNL. Is the lounge even open?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Understood although the fact that the union is seeking to end MAGC bonuses and online checkin seems pretty relevant to Marriott hotels.
I can understand MAGC, but how is online checking affecting Marriott workers, can't understand how is their hourly salary being affected?

Originally Posted by Wickersley
To follow up, the W SFO allowed me to cancel at check in, with a promise of a full refund of points.

Instead I’ve ended up at the Park Central - which is strike free (strange place, but that’s for another thread)

Have a reservation for the Palace next week, trying to cancel but only two available properties not affected in the area are JW ($600/night) and Park Central ($250/night). Was the Park Central bad?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: asMVPG
Strike Predictions

I have an upcoming reservation at the St. Regis San Francisco in about a week and just read about the strikes. I've stayed at the Le Meridian SF previously during a strike and the stay was awful: loud noise from megaphones directed at the guest rooms starting at 6am, getting harassed while entering / exiting the hotel. Any predictions on a timeframe for resolution? I can cancel before Monday so likely will do that and use an IHG free night (been shifting my spend to IHG after the merger) but I've always really wanted to stay at the St. Regis in SF as it's the only SPG / Marriott property in SF where I haven't stayed.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by chefraekwon
I have an upcoming reservation at the St. Regis San Francisco in about a week and just read about the strikes. I've stayed at the Le Meridian SF previously during a strike and the stay was awful: loud noise from megaphones directed at the guest rooms starting at 6am, getting harassed while entering / exiting the hotel. Any predictions on a timeframe for resolution? I can cancel before Monday so likely will do that and use an IHG free night (been shifting my spend to IHG after the merger) but I've always really wanted to stay at the St. Regis in SF as it's the only SPG / Marriott property in SF where I haven't stayed.

I would suggest that you cancel. Stayed there this past week, no housekeeping, common area dirty, replacement workers are not proficient in how things work. So long lines at front desk, valet, bell desk, and F&B outlet. No dining or cafe services after 4 or 5 pm. The breakfast was a disgrace for $40, made the offering at Fairfield Inn look luxurious.

The biggest insult is that the management does not give 2 f***s after getting your money, no discount or compensation other than 500 points a night for forcing you to make a green "choice". Very poorly handled. BTW even that they screwed up, I only got 500 points x 1 even though I was there for 4 nights.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by marubill
I can understand MAGC, but how is online checking affecting Marriott workers, can't understand how is their hourly salary being affected?

Have a reservation for the Palace next week, trying to cancel but only two available properties not affected in the area are JW ($600/night) and Park Central ($250/night). Was the Park Central bad?
Especially on the top floors (due to the floor to ceiling windows, which are great), the Park Central is pretty solid. There is a stupid resort fee on top of the room charge, though. I think Le Meridien is also not subject to the strike and is a nice hotel.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
Originally Posted by Score8
Especially on the top floors (due to the floor to ceiling windows, which are great), the Park Central is pretty solid. There is a stupid resort fee on top of the room charge, though. I think Le Meridien is also not subject to the strike and is a nice hotel.
Thanks, will try to change my reservation
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by marubill
Park Central is perfectly serviceable for a one night stay. At $250/night mid week in SFO it’s a “bargain”

Be sure to ask for the breakfast amenity when you check in, as by default they will credit you 1000 points otherwise.

Parking is expensive ($72.50) you may want to opt for Uber/Lyft instead.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta,American, British Air
Just stayed at the Westin Copley in Boston Thursday night They emailed day before to advise about strike I asked to be on high floor away from strikers which they did. While no food in restaurants the lounge was open with snacks and breakfast. No problem with checking in and no strikers on arrival due to rain. I guess they are fair weather only. On morning when we left hotel they were banging on their drums but no one bothered us as we walked out. We had thought of trying to cancel but alternatives were not good. Glad we didn’t change.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:31 pm

Roughing it the Sheraton Waikiki

I stayed for 3 nights. It turns out that the strike worker can protest 24 hrs and I found out the hard way. I got no warning about the strike. Marroitt flew in stay from the mainland to help out. I had to insistent on getting a room at 7 pm even though check in was a 3 pm. The room I got was on the 17th floor but we could hear the protesters all night. I was able to get my room changed to oceanside which was away from the protesters. They are very understaffed and frazzled. We have been out out of disposable plates and cutlery at breakfast. Luckily they put toiletries, water, toilet paper,tissue, towels and cans for dirty towels and trash near the elevator so we helped ourselves. Some of the other guests surprising put up with noise without complaining.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:52 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

My sister lucked out because she's staying at the Ritz Carlton SF this weekend and it is one of the few Marriott/SPG hotels not on strike. She had decided to stay at the Ritz instead of the St. Regis because the room rates were about 40% less per night, even though the St. Regis is in a more convenient location for us.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I'm due to check into the Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii this weekend.

I had hoped that this would be over by now, but I guess not. What should I do? I have a non-refundable reservation.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by bxg101g
I stayed for 3 nights. It turns out that the strike worker can protest 24 hrs and I found out the hard way. I got no warning about the strike. Marroitt flew in stay from the mainland to help out. I had to insistent on getting a room at 7 pm even though check in was a 3 pm. The room I got was on the 17th floor but we could hear the protesters all night. I was able to get my room changed to oceanside which was away from the protesters. They are very understaffed and frazzled. We have been out out of disposable plates and cutlery at breakfast. Luckily they put toiletries, water, toilet paper,tissue, towels and cans for dirty towels and trash near the elevator so we helped ourselves. Some of the other guests surprising put up with noise without complaining.
Is the lounge open? What about pool and bar staff? Are they on strike too?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by donotblink
I'm due to check into the Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii this weekend.

I had hoped that this would be over by now, but I guess not. What should I do? I have a non-refundable reservation.
Go. Enjoy yourself. I'm there now for a long planned 10 night stay. The staff is doing what they can to make everyone comfortable and they remain upbeat and pleasant. The only minor inconvenience is the lack of housekeeping and I don't really mind it. Picking up towels and anything else I need at the front desk OR on certain floors is no problem for me. The lounge is open. All other F & B is closed. It seems everyone is welcome to the lounge, so it's a bit busy at times. More types of food than usually is there, both at breakfast and in the evening.

On an extended stay like ours, the hotel is going to send someone to change the bed linens for us at some point, though we are welcome to pick up sheets, etc. anytime we'd like.

Pool is open and staffed.

No resort fee is being charged.

Honestly, we're having a great time at the Moana, as usual. Adjust your expectations, a bit, and enjoy !
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:59 am
J S

Originally Posted by lesz1
Just stayed at the Westin Copley in Boston Thursday night They emailed day before to advise about strike I asked to be on high floor away from strikers which they did. While no food in restaurants the lounge was open with snacks and breakfast. No problem with checking in and no strikers on arrival due to rain. I guess they are fair weather only. On morning when we left hotel they were banging on their drums but no one bothered us as we walked out. We had thought of trying to cancel but alternatives were not good. Glad we didn’t change.
I am glad to hear that at least this hotel is now proactively notifying guests (although day-before is a bit late to allow you to do much). Did they offer any alternatives (e.g, move you to a hotel that is not on strike)?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by clublounger
Go. Enjoy yourself. I'm there now for a long planned 10 night stay. The staff is doing what they can to make everyone comfortable and they remain upbeat and pleasant. The only minor inconvenience is the lack of housekeeping and I don't really mind it. Picking up towels and anything else I need at the front desk OR on certain floors is no problem for me. The lounge is open. All other F & B is closed. It seems everyone is welcome to the lounge, so it's a bit busy at times. More types of food than usually is there, both at breakfast and in the evening.

On an extended stay like ours, the hotel is going to send someone to change the bed linens for us at some point, though we are welcome to pick up sheets, etc. anytime we'd like.

Pool is open and staffed.

No resort fee is being charged.

Honestly, we're having a great time at the Moana, as usual. Adjust your expectations, a bit, and enjoy !
Awesome, thank you! I got a great BRG Look No Further Rate of $173 so I'll be happy with what you described!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.