Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Domes Miramare, a Luxury Collection Resort, Corfu Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
If choose breakfast as Plat arrival gift option, it's a full breakfast buffet. The "Living Room" lounge is for those who book Pavillion Suites. Status will not gain you access.
Print Wikipost

Domes Miramare, a Luxury Collection Resort, Corfu Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2021, 1:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
DONT STAY HERE!

I had the most dreadful experience at checkin - in fact so bad i asked if i can just cancel the stay because i really didnt think they are a luxury property with the attitude and customer service we experienced in the first 15 minutes.
I was told standard cancellation fees would apply... I was left speechless. We are staying 2 nights and wife said please lets go somewhere else...
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
DONT STAY HERE!

I had the most dreadful experience at checkin - in fact so bad i asked if i can just cancel the stay because i really didnt think they are a luxury property with the attitude and customer service we experienced in the first 15 minutes.
I was told standard cancellation fees would apply... I was left speechless. We are staying 2 nights and wife said please lets go somewhere else...

Please could you elaborate on this? I would prefer a more descriptive account, if possible. I’m sorry to hear you’ve had such a negative experience.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
DONT STAY HERE!

what happened? we must have checked in nearly the same time...and so far i can say check in was the best service i've received so far because everything else...well, it is a chore to get anything despite how friendly people are.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 12:45 am

Had a great stay here recently - found the service to be excellent and people very friendly. Enjoyed the property, it is well spaced out so feels quiet despite being full. Gold member, no upgrade as they were full but got late checkout. Plan on returning.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 10:54 pm

Programs: marybethhebert
Excited for trip next week

But anxious about driving there. It looks like I need a car to really get around, and they're affordable, but I'm worried about getting lost and having trouble finding parking (and finding my car once parked). I'll be traveling alone and have a terrible sense of direction. Any helpful advice? Thank you!
Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:02 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by respectfulhelper
But anxious about driving there. It looks like I need a car to really get around, and they're affordable, but I'm worried about getting lost and having trouble finding parking (and finding my car once parked). I'll be traveling alone and have a terrible sense of direction. Any helpful advice? Thank you!
Unlock your cell phone before you go, get a sim when you land and use google maps. I think it was $20 for a sim and a couple GB data. Turn off cellular data for all your other apps, except maybe texts. Otherwise it’s not that easy to get completely lost if you have a map.
respectfulhelper likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:48 am

driving from the hotel to corfu town is relatively straightforward, I wouldn't worry too much about getting lost. For other places, a gps (even on your phone) would be useful, download offline maps as sometimes phone signal wasn't great.
respectfulhelper likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 7:54 am

Driving on Corfu isn't too complicated. But, as with most things, this is subjective and based on one's experience. As someone from America, here's mine: A Navigation system or app on your phone is going to be helpful (Google Maps, Waze, etc.) Like others have said, the drive to Domes from the Airport is straight forward and there really aren't that many roads on the island altogether. Be prepared to navigate some roundabouts and few lights (I believe we encountered 2 operating traffic lights in a week). We did not spend much time in or around Corfu town as we were trying to "get away". Otherwise...

The roads, for the most part, are in good shape and better than most major cities/urban areas in the United States, though don't expect many -or any- clear road markings of shoulders or medians or crosswalks. There were no instances of others driving aggressively or any of the selfish/distracted/dangerous behavior typical in the US. Those operating motorcycles or scooters might pass or weave their way during slower traffic, but that's to be expected. Often times, when busses on roads stop, the flow of traffic stops in the same direction, there aren't full shoulders or pull offs and nobody seemed to be in a rush to get by.

Also, it's nice to come to a stop sign, actually stop, and not be honked. Or, to approach a turn I was unsure about, wait, and have other drivers yield the right of way. This happened more than once, so I'll generalize and assume this could be the way it is. I'll leave you with this: During one drive, we encountered a dog wandering in the road, cars in both directions stopped for 2 or 3 minutes, not one car honked or tried to pass. For me, that was extraordinary.

Have fun!
Old Sep 19, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
We just stayed there for two nights as it appears to be the only good hotel in Corfu where we found ourselves after staying at a nearby island.

Personally, I strongly dislike hotels within loyalty programs so beware of that bias.

We booked through STAR (what difference that’s to virtuoso I don’t understand) for a haute living sea view room. We were upgraded to sea facing room.

We were checked in late (despite arriving early) however this was august. We were given a temporary room so saw the basic rooms. How that qualifies as luxury I don’t understand, and saw someone online saying this was a 3* hotel based on the rooms. They must have stayed in one of those… hotel is truly of two halves. Lots of the haute living rooms aren’t great for privacy. Any low numbered suite will have plenty of people walking past, one of the villas had full insight into their private pool. My view is that the room we stayed in (111] is the only decent seafront room, and if you want a pool, 112 is the one to go for.

Barely used the lounge but clearly lots of comped/status users which is one of the things I dislike.

Service so so. If going to Corfu, probably the place to stay. Making it a destination - I’d think twice.
I think whether you like the waterfront rooms or not at Domes Miramare is a matter of personal taste. The best rooms to me are the two waterfront rooms and suites that are fully parallel to the sea where your bed is literally about 10 steps from the shore and you have a full panorama from bed (202, 201, 205, 208). You sacrifice some privacy for it, but the view is worth it.

Last edited by yosithezet; Oct 3, 2021 at 6:04 am Reason: Post move cleanup
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
This sounds like a review of Domes Miramare and not Domes of Corfu, I think this post is in the wrong thread. I think whether you like the waterfront rooms or not at Domes Miramare is a matter of personal taste. The best rooms to me are the two waterfront rooms and suites that are fully parallel to the sea where your bed is literally about 10 steps from the shore and you have a full panorama from bed (202, 201, 205, 208). You sacrifice some privacy for it, but the view is worth it.
I see your view on those rooms, but not for me.

To me though most important thing to get out, unless you’re staying in the suite wing, the hotel appears fairly average at best. Knowing us, we’d probably would have booked the best non suite rooms but in this instance that would have been a massive mistake.

Last edited by yosithezet; Oct 3, 2021 at 6:05 am Reason: Post move cleanup
Old Oct 13, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Starriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Lidl Sapphire
Hi all - recently finished our second stay here, our first in 2019 I reviewed here earlier in the thread.

SNAs now don't give you the option of anything on the Pavillions side, only suites and beachfront rooms on the regular side. My SNA didn't clear, the hotel appeared to be almost full even in early to mid-October. Two years ago they were closing in mid-Oct and were definitely winding down, this year they're going to the end of October and there seems to be massive demand even as the weather gets worse in Corfu through October.

An upgrade request on checkin didn't get me anything (as Plat), not surprising given occupancy levels. We ended up in a 1st floor (upstairs) sea view room, near the pool and bar. It's not particularly noisy but we like hearing the sea not the music from the bar. I'd avoid the 400-block rooms unless you like being in the thick of it. Due to a room issue we ended up moving half way through our stay to a room further away - the 500 and 600 blocks are definitely quieter.

What has changed since our last stay? Not a lot, it's still a lovely relaxing place to stay. We recognised some of the same staff from pre-COVID, who continue to provide a friendly and professional service. A few not so good points:
  • the clientele, while still mainly older Brits and Germans, seems to also now have a greater number of a younger, more, ah, "mass-market" demographic (or maybe I'm just getting older and grumpier). The Love Island contender with a full tripod setup in the middle of the resort at sunset flicking her hair about taking selfies, presumably for her legion of Instagram followers, was particularly special.
  • The breakfast buffet seems to have been slimmed down - the five different types of Greek honey have vanished, as has the smoked salmon, the cava, and probably other stuff I've forgotten. There's also no variety if you stay for several nights. The COVID protocols appeared to be inconsistently enforced, while you were supposed to be wearing mask + disposable gloves at the buffet, many ignored the gloves. I was particularly grossed out by someone who picked up probably all the bread with their bare hands, before deciding to rip one piece in two then putting half back in the basket...
  • the Miramaretta launch appears to have been withdrawn from doing the run to Corfu Town, which was a fun trip. Private charter only now.
The new extension across the road is still under construction - it will be 70 suites apparently, and will be coming next year they reckon. It will have its own reception and spa (pool? can't remember), but I hope it is treated separately to the main resort otherwise the beachfront is going to get horrendously crowded. If they do open the other side next year a report on how it works (or doesn't) would be much appreciated...
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by MikeyBee
Hi all - recently finished our second stay here, our first in 2019 I reviewed here earlier in the thread.

SNAs now don't give you the option of anything on the Pavillions side, only suites and beachfront rooms on the regular side. My SNA didn't clear, the hotel appeared to be almost full even in early to mid-October. Two years ago they were closing in mid-Oct and were definitely winding down, this year they're going to the end of October and there seems to be massive demand even as the weather gets worse in Corfu through October.

An upgrade request on checkin didn't get me anything (as Plat), not surprising given occupancy levels. We ended up in a 1st floor (upstairs) sea view room, near the pool and bar. It's not particularly noisy but we like hearing the sea not the music from the bar. I'd avoid the 400-block rooms unless you like being in the thick of it. Due to a room issue we ended up moving half way through our stay to a room further away - the 500 and 600 blocks are definitely quieter.

What has changed since our last stay? Not a lot, it's still a lovely relaxing place to stay. We recognised some of the same staff from pre-COVID, who continue to provide a friendly and professional service. A few not so good points:
  • the clientele, while still mainly older Brits and Germans, seems to also now have a greater number of a younger, more, ah, "mass-market" demographic (or maybe I'm just getting older and grumpier). The Love Island contender with a full tripod setup in the middle of the resort at sunset flicking her hair about taking selfies, presumably for her legion of Instagram followers, was particularly special.
  • The breakfast buffet seems to have been slimmed down - the five different types of Greek honey have vanished, as has the smoked salmon, the cava, and probably other stuff I've forgotten. There's also no variety if you stay for several nights. The COVID protocols appeared to be inconsistently enforced, while you were supposed to be wearing mask + disposable gloves at the buffet, many ignored the gloves. I was particularly grossed out by someone who picked up probably all the bread with their bare hands, before deciding to rip one piece in two then putting half back in the basket...
  • the Miramaretta launch appears to have been withdrawn from doing the run to Corfu Town, which was a fun trip. Private charter only now.
The new extension across the road is still under construction - it will be 70 suites apparently, and will be coming next year they reckon. It will have its own reception and spa (pool? can't remember), but I hope it is treated separately to the main resort otherwise the beachfront is going to get horrendously crowded. If they do open the other side next year a report on how it works (or doesn't) would be much appreciated...
We have stayed in 2019, even 2020 with Covid and this year 2021- never less than 12 days and as long as 16 days,obviously we like it very much -treated like going to my favorite aunts house- going back in 2022

I agree with most of what you wrote.

As far as this year--- not much has changed- other than, they now are operating at almost sold out everyday but with a "little" less staff - the service is still excellent

The clientele--- this year it did change slightly to younger -- but well behaved

breakfast-- was about the same as in the past - the smoke salmon was "lousy" and I am not sure it even was salmon - I when I asked for "real" salmon they brought it to my table and it was fine. everything else was as in the past except for the honey you mentioned.

Anyone who went to the buffet had a mask and plenty were available if one forgot -plus you were REMINDED a mask is required -gloves-- I would say 75% were worn by guests -- as far as hands on bread you will find animals at every level hotel - before Covid most would use the napkin to cut the bread but not all

Ate dinner many times at hotel -yes fish prices are higher than at a local place ( as crazy as this sounds with the sea all over Greece, FISH is over priced any place in Greece)- the food .service convince are all excellent, they will order any fish if you tell them in advance,and eating by candle light by the sea is very nice.

As far as the new rooms - like you, I am concerned that the beach will be overcrowded, yet I have faith the management will not kill the golden goose

I have also stayed for the past 4 years at Domes in Chania and the beach ( sandy) is nicer and the summer weather last longer, the draw back is the locals that are allowed to use the beach as a pathway to get from parking area to the public beach next door - rooms are "different" than at Corfu
Old Mar 28, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: None - previously UA
This property increases by up to 20k points per night tomorrow, currently 35k standard, so it would be a good time for speculatively book today if you have any plans to visit Corfu in ‘22
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
This property increases by up to 20k points per night tomorrow, currently 35k standard, so it would be a good time for speculatively book today if you have any plans to visit Corfu in ‘22
Thanks-- I booked about 2 months ago - 3 nights used 35k certif and th rest at 40k
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:51 pm

Surprisingly I was able to do 5nights paying only 120k points in Feb.
Now trying to adjust the dates and it's coming up as 140k?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.